to get cable modem or not...

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Lemme see if you guys think I should get a cable modem! First I'm a student in the local community college, and this summer I move off to go to "real college." I make appx $400 a month doing my trivial job and have bills totaling about $150. I've been stuck at 28.8 forever and cable modems are just about to be available in my town (not roadrunner or @home either hehe) for the price of $50 a month for 256k downstream. Right now I would have no problem spending that $50 a month for the service, but in a few months I'm gonna be into heavy heavy bills with rent for a place to live and "real college." I know I'm gonna have to rely mostly on loans for college since my savings was quite depleted due to car problems. Do I sock that extra $30 a month (I pay $20 for dialup) away so thats another say $200 dollars for a place to live. Or do I just say "whats another $200 of debt?" Let me know what you guys think I should do, I'm leaning heavily toward the go for it side right now :)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Man trust me, you don't want to start off your life in debt. This really sounds like a bad idea to me, I'd say don't get cable. $50/month is absolutely ridiculous for cable internet. It's $29.95 (canadian) here.

DO NOT DO IT!

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
It's $40 Canadian in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)
Lousy Quebec, always gets good deal ;p

heh he j/k

but for your situation, sounds like you'd be better off not getting it, especially if your car keeps on acting up :(

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Thats the thing though, I'm going to have to go into debt with student loans or I dont get to go to college hehe. So if I have to go in, will that make a huge difference......

edit: I know $50 a month is expensive ($40 for service, $10 to rent cable modem) but this is the only broadband we have, dsl isn't available so they have no competition at all. In the end I probably won't wind up getting it, but many broadband and a 24/7 connection would be so sweet :)

ForeverSilky

Banned
Apr 6, 2000
GET IT! Just watch how you spend your money and cut back on a few of the small things you usually buy.

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000

$20 for dial-up? geez.. why don't you cancel that and go with a free ISP? there are free ISP's without ad banners you know, and with fast, reliable connection!

and if your car acts up often, and you don't have any other reliable source of income, this sounds like it would be a bad decision to go with cable. you can save $50/month (since i know you will be cancelling your dial-up) until you go away to college, and believe me you will need every single penny you can scrounge up while in college. even with loans, college can be quite expensive. especially if you don't know how to cook.

DataFly

Mar 12, 2000
256k/s is not worth $50 per month, IMO. The setup fee will probably be in excess of $200 and will be a near total waste if you are going to be moving soon.

:)

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Yeah, 256k is definatly not worth $50 a month.

Just get a free ISP. It will save you the $20 a month.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
I pay 39.95 per month for cable and I only get 128k up (@home). So $50 is NOT out of line.

BUT, if its only 7 more months, I would not do it. Just stick with dial-up. Try not to give in to these guys, free IPS's suck!

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
The setup fee will be waived since I used to work there :) And I cant find any free ipss in my area except juno, and ad banners is suck! If you have any suggestions for some for someone in centralia, il (62801) please feel free to share though
Thanks

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
Don't go for it and Free Dialups arn't bad at all! I use them whenever my ISP complains that I use the net "too much".

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Hmmmmm Gurnee is quite a way up there isn't it? Chicagoland-ish? I'll bet you're enjoying some nice cool weather right now. I'm about 60 miles east of stl and its cool here!

Any free isp suggestions? (Man freewwweb rocked...damn juno!)

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Don't get cable modem if the extra cost will put you into trouble... Just have patience and wait a few more mins for a webpage to load up... save up your $$ instead just in case some kind of emergency comes up...

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
I pay $49 a month but I get about 1000 up because I don't get to use it until I get home from work at 2 am when less people are tying up my bandwith.

Fiddy

Oct 10, 1999
Here in Austin, TimeWarner charges $45.00 a month for cable with just one small catch.....You have to subscibe to cable television also for about another $40.00 a month. That's ANALOG cable w/out Skinamax, HBO etc. etc. Now, to me, that ain't right. I wonder, do they screw people like that everywere else?

DataFly

Mar 12, 2000
RGN, note:

<<$50 a month for 256k downstream>>

:):)

BTW, did it rain earlier today out west (I live east of you:Q:))? Got really cold and soggy here...:(

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
You may want to consider diect TV or Dish TV for satallite connection. An investment in that will stay with you anywhere you move to.. I am going to go that route.It will be fast,but I do not think it is good for on line gaming.If you can hold off,the facts on that service should be out at the end of the month.

spec411

Apr 18, 2000
GET CABLE!!! the time you save waiting for the net will give you more time to work, have fun, etc...save just 15 minutes a day and if you work 1 extra hour a week..thatll pay for it!!!

VoodooExtreme

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2000
I'm on cable here in sweden and I'm only paying approx 17$(US dollars) month but then we only have 512kbit/s down and 128kbit/s up.... But still, it's pretty cheap

Oct 19, 2000
A lot of you say just go with a free ISP and save the $20 a month. You must realize that not every place has local access numbers to get these. Also, IMO, $50 is not worth 256K downstream. I used to live in a small city, and we actually got the cable internet access before any of the larger cities around did. The pricing was the exact same ($40 for service, $10 for modem rental), and got 600k downstream. A friend of mine who lives in another bigger city nearby pays $40 total a month for cable internet, and gets 1.5Mb download speed. It's fast!!

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
You've all forgot about the cost of CD-R's and larger hard drives... All of which go hand in hand with owning a cable modem...:)

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
The price is a little steep, but you should still go with it.

The other factor here is also the amount of usage. When you've got a spritely connection you tend to spend more time on the net, so you'll get better use of it.

Here's another upside you might not have thought about...www.dialpad.com for FREE phone calls. The extra you spend for the Cable you could save in long distance calls.