To Console Game on a PC Monitor vs. TV PS4/PS3??

mode101wpb

Aug 16, 2005
I have used a 24" PC monitor over the past few years for console gaming, since this is a shared monitor between my PC it worked out well, but since I share the desktop with the family, I'm thinking of getting a dedicated monitor or a TV next since I plan on getting a PS4 sometime this fall.

I'm thinking in reality, 4K isn't worth it right now as I have no devices that will output 4K currently and by time I invest, the price will probably be lower anyways and I don't think I'll be going for the 4K version of the PS4 (if that's even a fact)?.

So I'm split between a 27-28" Monitor, 1080P, low input lag and 60Hz max. I have several picked that are in the $200 to $250 price range, BenQ and Asus. As well I'm kicking around a 32 to 40" Samsung LED TV, problem is, it appears 1080P is being phased out as 32" models are mainly 720P and or no longer available. 40" and above seems to be the norm and often 4K models.

I think I'll probably have a sofa situation on the set-up, but not too far from the screen, I estimate between 4 to 6 feet max. Should I got for the Monitor or get a TV?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Monitor will probably look better but cost more for smaller size. So it's just a personal decision.

If it were me, I'd go for a TV. I don't expect consoles to look amazing.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
I agree with above poster to go for a TV. You can't beat gaming on a 30+ inch TV. It's fun and easy. Couch co-op is near impossible on a monitor that is smaller than the average TV. 40 inch+ TV is what I would suggest you aim for. I am on the fence with 4K. I got a 1080i Plasma TV years ago before 1080 was a big thing. The picture still looks amazing and I still game on it as well. And 4K is definitely catching on. So I would say if you can afford 4K now, then get it now.

Not sure I would agree the game won't look as good as a PC monitor. I believe if you get a TV with game mode (or something similar) and low latency refresh rate, the games should look as good and play just as well. My second TV (42inch) has this feature and it works really well. Gaming on it is definitely a better experience in my opinion.

Read the reviews and you should be able to narrow your choices.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
With input lag under 30ms you really won't notice with a standard controller on a console game. Maybe for the ultra competitive fighters but online play will introduce some latency of its own. So a TV is fine and might be preferred because as was mentioned, a smallish monitor is not good for local co-op.

mode101wpb

Aug 16, 2005
Thanks for the opinions, I'll need to save some money to buy anything over $200, just need to think if going 4K now is more future proof, I'm seeing $400+ for a 4K 40" TV.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Just beware...that 4k tv for $400 is bare bones. It may have higher than average input lag and definitely no HDR. HDR gaming is a new thing, you can google what HDR is as it would be easier to read up on it via other sources rather than try to explain it on the forums here. Anyhow, I wouldn't buy a 4k TV now without HDR and most certainly would not invest in 4k just for gaming. Not when you can find 50" 1080p sets for $400 on Amazon. If you are interested in 4k, I'd say go all the way with a higher end model but you don't seem to be looking to do that so my advice is stick with 1080p for now. Unless you're pixel peeping, a 40" TV won't reveal the benefits of 4k resolution. If it did HDR maybe, but no TV under $1000 will have HDR support.

Currently Amazon shows a 50" LG 1080p for $400 or a 43" for around $263. These are simple 60hz models but as with anything you have to pay more to get higher end features.

mode101wpb

Aug 16, 2005
I don't really need or want 4K right now, I just know how fast technology goes and within a few years the prices will be low and the technology will be more common. I read that 4K games are not coming anytime soon so it would just be for streaming content which is somewhat limited right now, Netflix's Daredevil alone for me would be worth it since it's available in UHD streaming.

This is the one I was looking at $400+ range and 40" is about Max for the room it's planned to go in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUTL4OI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13ACIRM091OJE

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/40-42-43-inch/best