Question To Be Or Not To Be involved in FB sprints

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, so I guess I am the one to blame for dragging us down the FB sprint rabbit hole..........

So I have put up a pole to see if we would like to continue playing or not. It has a 7 day time limit.

There are other challenges out there to participate in. WCG has challenges from time to time as well as PG and the Pentathalon. I am sure more can be found if we look.

Votes and thoughts are welcome.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
How do you know which is which physically? Label them with a label maker? I've tried to name them something that distinguishes them, but it's gotten confusing now that I have stuff like Ryzen3900x, Ryzen3900xnew, Ryzen3900x980ti, etc :p

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Another idea: Primegrid and the BOINC Pentathlon do various lengths of challenges. Maybe there could be a month-long "sprint" on Climate Prediction or something?

Reactions: SystemVipers

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Just need a theme for the names. My Raspberry Pis are named after pie. 2GB pies get 2 word names (key lime, lemon chiffon, etc). 4GB pis are named after fruit pie (strawberry, cherry, etc). 8GB pies are named after custard pies (pumpkin, pecan, etc).

Larger computers are named after Greek Gods or Greek Mythology - gaming machine is Ares, largest Water cooled PC is Poseidon, the NAS is Olympus, etc.
My naming is too simple..... If its a 5950x, thats what I name is, tacked on to the room its in. If I have 2 in the same room with the same CPU, its like "3900x living room, 3900x living room 2".

ETC. So I can keep tract of them, and when one goes down I know where to look.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
OK, thanks to all who have voted.

It looks as though at this point in time there will be no TeAm effort in the Formula BOINC sprints. I will update the list in the first post should there be any more sprints over at FB. That will be the extent of my involvement for this time. No race stats, no team stats.
If people want to run the projects please do. Do not let the few who have caused this to become less fun hinder you in any way.
Team Anandtech WILL NOT BE ASKING TO BE REMOVED from the FB pages. Merely, we will run willy nilly. For now I guess the somewhat, slightly organized chaos will be abandoned.

Tis sad to see this happen and maybe things can be worked out so some form of "racing" can continue.

All this said, I would suggest that a new thread be started to continue the discussion.

Please, lets keep it civil as we move forward.

Thanks all,
Don

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
How do you know which is which physically? Label them with a label maker? I've tried to name them something that distinguishes them, but it's gotten confusing now that I have stuff like Ryzen3900x, Ryzen3900xnew, Ryzen3900x980ti, etc :p
No labels. I have 3 stacks - 2 GB pis are in one stack in one of these:

The 4GB pis and 8GB pis are in Flirc aluminum cases, which stack nicely on top of each other.

stacks are in alphabetical order, with A at the top and Z at the bottom.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Hmm, mark the calendar, a mod has had to step into a DC thread!

Anyway, my ragtag fleet is usually named after the motherboard model number, but even that got complicated when duplicates cropped up. It would be interesting to know how the big boys do it, when there is replication of exact specs over hundreds (thousands?) of discrete hosts.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Hmm, mark the calendar, a mod has had to step into a DC thread!

Anyway, my ragtag fleet is usually named after the motherboard model number, but even that got complicated when duplicates cropped up. It would be interesting to know how the big boys do it, when there is replication of exact specs over hundreds (thousands?) of discrete hosts.
At work we use data center code the host is located in, 1 digit for availability domain, 2 digit for rack number number, 3 characters, which includes the hypervisor identifier. For example: slc109acq.

Reactions: crashtech

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
With over 100K computers company-wide, and nearly 8,000 just at my site, computer naming is a pretty big deal. :)

We use this format:
2 letter Country Code, 4 letter Site Code, 2 letter Computer Type, - (hyphen), computer property/asset number.

Makes for somewhat long computer names, but it does make it pretty easy to determine where and what the device is based on the name (and vice/versa).

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
With over 100K computers company-wide, and nearly 8,000 just at my site, computer naming is a pretty big deal. :)

We use this format:
2 letter Country Code, 4 letter Site Code, 2 letter Computer Type, - (hyphen), computer property/asset number.
This is exactly the nomenclature which I use for my home computers.

OK, I omit the country code.
And the site code.
And computer type is one letter, and I tossed the hyphen.
But otherwise it's the same.

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
Hi, just popped back in, My machines are named after people that I have Lost/Love/Sick, and it that motivation that has gotten me into crunching. I usually go by series of CPU, Then GPU rigs. E5's. EYPC, Ryzen and so on... Plus I have named a series after my Mom who is a big force in my life...
So that is my naming convention, The largest is MMspecial after MovieMan(passed) who got me into crunching in 09 but then I switched to HWBOT challenges, when I came back, I used the MMspecial series to start off my farm. My first year it was a challenge to name them and remember the exact machine, now I have it down but only have about 12 rigs... AND no plugs left in my house lol

Reactions: crashtech

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
I want to thank everyone here who responded to my list, remember it's mud on the wall, just suggestions. I don't pretend to be a visionary here or that I understand what it has taken to crunch for all the years that most of you have done. What I bring to the table is an honest approach to making FB better for all. So my list was just to trigger thought and suggestions.

I agree with Orange
All this said, I would suggest that a new thread be started to continue the discussion.

I also just want to thank the TAAT Moderators and Forum Members for allowing me to semi hijack this thread in your house. My only goal was to change the discussion from the past to how we can move forward as a group. We can't change the past but with constructive discourse we can change the future of FB.

Discourse - noun
written or spoken communication or debate.
"the language of political discourse" ;)

So rather than commenting here, I am looking forward to seeing everyone who has an opinion :rolleyes:
posting where ever the next conversation pops up. I am hoping the FB forum opens back up soon. I saw something this AM that made me think it's just "under construction" but who knows...
If someone wants to start a thread here, i know that we have TAAT, XS and TSBT reading this thread, so it would follow that they will also be reading a new thread. This thread is the only thread where there is open discussion involving more than one team, Hopefully we can do this on FB very soon.

PS: thanks for putting up with my bad spelling, dyslexic grammer and sometimes blunt talk. I have grown from my time on the SC and hopefully will help me in the future.

Heading down to Mom's today, sister coming in from NJ and were going to celebrate Easter as a family for the first time since the Covid hit. Stay safe, Enjoy the Holiday if that's your thing but thanks again for any support that was given or will be given in the future.

Long Live the FB!

respect
-steve