TNT2 card nv4disp.dll BSODS in XP

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
This happens in every D3d app unless I turn hardware acceleration down to the next to lowest setting. I have read some of the earlier threads and I fixed my other system that has a Geforce2MX. But, I cannot get this one to work correctly. It is a gigabyte GA7DXR, so it is a AMD/VIA hybrid and I can't use the 4-in-1s on it. I have tried several driver releases, though I have stayed away from 23.11 on this recent re-install I did yesterday because last time it wouldn't even get into XP with this card and driver combination. I just got a black screen and it locked. Has anyone fixed this problem with a TNT2 video card? It's the 16MB Maxigamer Xentor by Guillemot to be more precise.

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
i have gotten these twice with my gf3. they are specific to applications (in my case, HL and once RTCW altho it was my fault that time). are u oc'ing at all, what about trying really old skool drivers, or teh ones that xp autodetects to the card?

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
just to let you know, this is a VERY common problem, do a search you will find some informative info. also search in GH.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Im not O/Cing at all. I have tried several version sof the dets, including 21.83, 23.11, and even 12.40s. I still get this problem in every D3D app. This is a clean install of XP im working on. I know this problem is documented elsewhere, but I can get this particualr card to work. Has anyone fixed this a problen with a TNT2

Aug 17, 2000
There was a thread on this a few weeks back, but you'll have to extend th search limits to find it again. It's entitled NV4_DISP keeps freezing my XP box" or something to that effect. Gillum, FireCrotchBurns, and some others were very active in that thread. There are many explanations and possible solutions that were presented.

aka1nas, I *OWNED* a TNT2, the Diamond Ultra, and I could never get it to not die a horrible BSOD death (redundant) in XP, no matter what solutions were presented. The TNT2 architecture is faulty with the nvidia display drivers...all versions of them.

I'm sorry to say this, but you may have to look at a different operating system, or a new card. PM me, and I'll send you what I saved regarding my old TNT2 (I have since got a Radeon 8500 which is D3D sex).

Hope that was helpful!