TN panels are as bad as everyone says they are and then some...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmnno

Jan 24, 2008
IPS uses too much power almost like plasma. I seriously doubt that.

It's not actually in the same realm as plasma TVs. There was a Thinkpad that used a 1600x1200 IPS panel. Battery life probably wasn't the best, but it was a beautiful laptop.

oatmealstorm

Dec 17, 2009
Seriously, if your job requires using displays that are better than the mainstream by all means its wise to invest in it. But for most people, why waste money over a TN when TN's do everything you need to do fine.

It's so dumb. And then when these bandwagoner's finally join the club of expensive monitor technologies they begin to bash so-called inferior display techs such as TN.

If you're sitting in front of your computer for less than unhealthy amounts of time, who the hell cares about "viewing angles" , "ultra-accurate color reproduction", "wide/narrow gamuts", crap like that.

My 3 year old 22" Samsung TN gives sharp text that doesn't make my eyes tired after hours and hours of internet, Word, and games. I couldn't care less about color accuracy when I'm not even an amateur graphics/photo person, and I'm not doing acrobats in my room while using my computer so the "shitty" viewing angles of my TN is way more than fine. It doesn't ghost in games, and as for backlighting, who the heck bought a computer to turn off all the lights and stare at a black screen anyways.

The bottom line is that what's the best thing to buy depends on the kind of things you're using it for, not just your wallet. For me and most users like me, I'd wager you'd be better off spending 200$ for the display and banking the rest on things that matter, like a good dinner with your family, maybe.

Last edited:

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
...who the hell cares about "viewing angles" , "ultra-accurate color reproduction", "wide/narrow gamuts", crap like that.

Everyone should buy the display that suits them. I think we'd all agree on that.

I (and many others) certainly care about viewing angles, accurate colours, wide v standard gamut, etc. It's not 'crap'. It's what I look at every day. Photographs, graphics, animation, movies -- if aesthetics and fidelity don't matter here, where do they matter?

I certainly think there are plenty of other important things in life to spend one's hard-earned shillings on (food, wine, books, clothing, women -- just to start :) ). Myself, nerd or no, I live probably over 60 per cent of my waking hours in front of one electronic display or other, and when I have the chance, I like looking at things other than text too. And I like them to look as good as possible (or as good as I can afford, heh).

That said, I suspect there are plenty of 'good enough' TN panels out there for most punters, and -- no, one doesn't need to spend $1000+ on an IPS-panel NEC display or $2000+ on a Pioneer KURO plasma to live a satisfactory life!

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Dear OP, I have two Acer H233H monitors with TN panels and I think they're great! Cheap, good viewing angles and, bight with no fading.

It sounds like you didn't do much if any research on your particular model before you bought it. Also most spring loaded monitor arms are adjustable for different weights. Your judgment appears to be in question due to buying a Gateway in the first place.

Next time you want to get rid of some of that money burning a hole in your pocket, send it to me and I promise to email you daily telling you how intelligent, cultured and, handsome you are.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
If you have a TN panel monitor look at this page , how bad is it ?
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

I'm thinking of getting another monitor to preview work since the two I have , one is a crt 21" and the other H-IPS 23". Concerned I may not be able to calibrate gamma correctly on the TN panel. But the 28" TN panels are tempting.

wow, that looked PERFECT on my FP2141SB!
oh wait, that's a diamondtron I got there :p

I do have plans for picking up a 32'' ish IPS TV sometime soon though (hopefully).

They have a bunch of Acer TNs (not sure of the model) at work which are acceptable, but movies looked noticeably worse than on my once working Soyo Topaz. Then there is AOC TN (el cheapo) from local Costco that looked like arse (black crush kills).

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I have an LG 22" TN, a Samsung 22" TN and an Acer 24" TN. I don't see the problem.
I've used each of them for just about anything you can throw at them. Video capture and editing, gaming, work, internet, yada, yada.
I really haven't seen IP-S monitors for personal usage, but I'm sure those that spent the extra money and own them, will say there is a monumental difference. Heck, I probably would to. Have to justify my money spent. ;)

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Not any more. In fact I'm not sure they ever did -- perhaps it was the PowerBook that had IPS. I don't believe IPS panels are made that small any more.

Apple notebooks do have some of the better portable displays out there, but they're almost certainly TN. And they're not even necessarily the best notebook displays -- some ThinkPads and high-end Dells have come with better screens.

That said I can barely see anything on the pater's cheap Dell Inspiron when its brightness isn't maxed and the viewing angle is sub-optimal. Whereas most images look pretty good on my MacBook Pro, and that gives me some idea what a better desktop TN panel might look like.

My levono T41 has a 15" 1400x1050 IPS

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
I have an LG 22" TN, a Samsung 22" TN and an Acer 24" TN. I don't see the problem.
I've used each of them for just about anything you can throw at them. Video capture and editing, gaming, work, internet, yada, yada.
I really haven't seen IP-S monitors for personal usage, but I'm sure those that spent the extra money and own them, will say there is a monumental difference. Heck, I probably would to. Have to justify my money spent. ;)

well I never owned a quality IPS display either, but I trust them when they say there is a difference. what each one of us is sensitive to is a different matter altogether, but still. I can definitely tell the difference between my CRT and all other LCDs. I think I like mine better than my friend's bravia kdl46v2500 :)

I am quite into headphones and own quite a few nice ones and a good amp/dac to go with them. Computer speakers that I own are good in their own light (s2-4100 and m200), but surely I would want the headphones if I can only have one. It's not that the speakers suck, I know headphones are better and I am happier with them. The difference might be little to those who are less sensitive or care less about high fidelity, but to me it is worth the premium. Then of course there is the saying, you never know what you are missing :)

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
If you have a TN panel monitor look at this page , how bad is it ?
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

Quite surprising, but my Samsung, which tends to have very good color reproduction, failed pretty badly at a couple of those.
However, my cheap Sceptre LCD TV did nearly perfectly, except that the lagom picture flashed colors as I scrolled. Well, the colors were wrong on every single image on my LCD TV (the lagom didn't even display the colors, it's pretty much just white text on a gray background), but at least it's not viewing angle dependent!

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
For those of you who haven't used a nice IPS panel, there really IS a noticeable difference. And it's not minor.

On my first day working at the local power plant, I walked into the office and couldn't help but blurt out "omg, they're all IPS panels". I can tell at a glance from 20ft what tech a screen uses.

That said, I can live with an MVA/PVA for day to day use, and I could probably stand a decent TN too. But with the number of hours I sit in front of a screen, I can justify spending a little extra.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
My levono T41 has a 15" 1400x1050 IPS

That's a circa 2003 Pentium M machine, right? I think sometime mid-decade is about when IPS panels became unavailable in the notebook market. A shame, really, I'd be willing to pay Apple or ThinkPad a couple of hundred dollars more for an IPS notebook display.

Texun

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2001
i've generally been against TN panel bashing- they do their job and most consumers would never notice the difference between one and an IPS or PVA monitor. most all the TN panels from around when i bought my 21" S-PVA gateway looked adequate if not pretty good.

well, fastfoward about three or four years, and holy shit i'm displeased...my gateway died, and i went to best buy today and picked up a 23" LG (W2343T).

About 2-3 years ago I bought a 22" LG from BB and the color sucked. I took it back, and after breaking through some resistance from BB, swapped it for a 22" Samsung. It's better but nothing special.

Back in Sept-09 I bought a Dell 18" WS with a TN for $89 shipped. It was a closeout and no longer available, but man that thing had an incredible image - miles above my Samsung. I just sat and stared at it. Too bad it was small. I didn't buy it for myself but if I had I would probably be using that instead of my Samsung right now. If I knew for sure I could get that kind of image from a 22 or larger Dell for cheap I would be all over it.