TN panels are as bad as everyone says they are and then some...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Ya color shift can be bad. if your having problems with setting it up properly. Om this PC I am using westinghouse 26' I like alot for what I paid . My wife never ever tried using it until last night . She only viewed it from her PC . Color shift I would imagine was ugly . But last night we were playing around in another thread here on the toystore demo . Its the first time she ever viewed it correctly . she actually likes it better than her expensive 30" monitor. On my gaming machine I also have a 26" that I like way better than this . but it should be. But the westinhouse is nice for the money.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
check xbit-labs for tech primers/reviews.
ms isn't so simple, its a range depending on shade:p

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
If you have a TN panel monitor look at this page , how bad is it ?
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

I'm thinking of getting another monitor to preview work since the two I have , one is a crt 21" and the other H-IPS 23". Concerned I may not be able to calibrate gamma correctly on the TN panel. But the 28" TN panels are tempting.

Last edited:

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Jum, they looked great with my monitor, but with my brother's in law which uses TN, the purple looked the worst and then the gray background with letters, pityful.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
I'm a professional photographer, and my primary editing monitor is a 24" Samsung LCD with a TN panel. When comparing against the hundreds of prints I've made through it, it's quite accurate.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Ah, but it pays to be colorblind. I couldn't notice a slight color shift if I tried. :) Cheap monitors for me!

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
One problem is a TN with rotating stand, so you can go from landscape to portrait.
Man it sucks. Sure, L/R viewing angles might be find normally, but when you've rotated it, your L/R becomes up/down, and the up/down becomes L/R, and boy does it suck. A lot.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008

I'm thinking of getting another monitor to preview work since the two I have , one is a crt 21" and the other H-IPS 23". Concerned I may not be able to calibrate gamma correctly on the TN panel. But the 28" TN panels are tempting.

thanks for link

on my TN LCD, color shifting was noticeable on the text and purple screen but no where close to as bad as the example images at the bottom of the page

also, can there be color shifting on CRTs? there seemed to very slight difference on the purple screen with an old CRT I still use.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009

lol never knew my monitor was that bad, lucky for me i don't give a rats about color accuracy

Ihmemies

Apr 18, 2006
3007WFP-HC is garbage compared to the W3000H-Bn.

The antiglare coating or whatever LG used in the W3000H could be less strong. My old 19" Viewsonic pva shimmered a lot less. The only reason I bought LG was that other 30" displays in Finland were a LOT more expensive, and even with this slight problem, W3000H is more than good enough for me :)

Oh yeah. I've used a noname 19" TN, some 22" LG TN and 24" Samsung TN at work. I've seen various TN's around in universities, libraries, friends etc and only can say one thing about TN's in general: They suck. Of course they're cheap too, but a monitor is something I wouldn't skimp on.

Last edited:

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
/endthread

it's really more than just color. personally, i think the color on most TN's is fine.

a decent P/MVA or IPS is like looking through a window compared to a TN...which is more of a fuzzy shimmering reflection.

i think monitors have simply gotten too big for TN technology.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Most laptop LCDs (all TNs) are horrible. Very bright, but poor color accuracy. All colors beside white are off.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I went from a CRT that has a superior image to any LCD panel type or size(IBM P275, so you can't say I don't know what a good screen is) to a 22" TN panel and would not say that it is so bad that it is worthless. I'm rather pleased with the quality of it. Therefore, if you have a crappy TN panel, get a non crappy one. Anyone who says all TN panels suck is completely clueless. That's like saying all AMD CPUs suck or all Radeons suck.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Once I got my hands on a professional, non-TN monitor, I could never look back. Sure it's expensive, but to me the monitor is the single most component of your system that warrants a splurge. You interact with your monitor 100% of the time that you spend with your computer, so make get the best that you possibly can.

With that said, some people just don't put a priority on graphical details. My GF was elated with the $210 ASUS 24" I got her for Christmas.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
Macbook Pros use IPS panels.

Not any more. In fact I'm not sure they ever did -- perhaps it was the PowerBook that had IPS. I don't believe IPS panels are made that small any more.

Apple notebooks do have some of the better portable displays out there, but they're almost certainly TN. And they're not even necessarily the best notebook displays -- some ThinkPads and high-end Dells have come with better screens.

That said I can barely see anything on the pater's cheap Dell Inspiron when its brightness isn't maxed and the viewing angle is sub-optimal. Whereas most images look pretty good on my MacBook Pro, and that gives me some idea what a better desktop TN panel might look like.

Kostamojen

Nov 30, 2004
My TN story:

I've had a Dell 2005FPW for a few years now. I did my homework back when I got it and it was expensive but it was one of the top notch monitors at the time.

However, I just built a new computer this summer which included a blu-ray player. I recall at the time there was some sort of new chip (which turns out to be HDCP) that was coming out in the monitors of that time period that would be important in the future.

Well the future is now, and as it turns out as most of us now, that HDCP means your monitor and video card must be HDCP compliant or no blu-ray for you!

So to solve the problem, I borrowed another monitor at the house from someone elses computer that was a couple years newer than my monitor (same size monitor, also a Dell) and installed that...

Sure enough, it ran the Blu-Ray fine BUT the image quality seemed HORRIBLE on this monitor in comparison! So much so, I just can't use it at all compared to my 2005FPW.

The difference? The 2005FPW is an IPS panel, while the other was a TN.

I have since found a work-around for HDCP but it requires re-pluging in the monitor via VGA and running it through VGA instead of DVI... Bleh, but it works and still looks better than the TN monitor!

I was going to buy a monitor soon that is HDCP compliant and larger than 21", but I also want an LED backlit monitor since it will probably last even longer and have a much lower power consumption along with TRUE blacks which from what i've seen of the current LED backlit monitors, is worth it. BUT there is no way i'll buy a TN monitor!!!

<- Holding out for an e-IPS LED backlight 24" monitor...

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I went from a CRT that has a superior image to any LCD panel type or size(IBM P275, so you can't say I don't know what a good screen is) to a 22" TN panel and would not say that it is so bad that it is worthless. I'm rather pleased with the quality of it. Therefore, if you have a crappy TN panel, get a non crappy one. Anyone who says all TN panels suck is completely clueless. That's like saying all AMD CPUs suck or all Radeons suck.

There's definitely a difference between panels..I have a 20" Samsung 205BW and I love it. I bought a 23" Samsung 2333 a year or so ago and it's definitely not as good as the older one. I'm not entirely sure why, but it also feels cheaper. Odd.