TMPGEnc 4.0 uses CUDA

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
As a TMPGEnc 3.0 user I was recently looking into the latest and greatest that TMPGEnc 4.0 has to offer and I saw on their "new features" page that they have implemented CUDA in some of their filters and show some benchmarks/speedups with those filters.

I haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on the value this brings or whether the IQ of the resultant CUDA encoded images are as good as CPU based encoding. But I thought some of you might be intrigued and maybe didn't know about this.

New Features in Ver. 4.6.2.266

NVIDIA CUDA technology is now supported for processing the video filters and decoding. The multiple cores of the GPU can divide the workload and run the processes in parallel for a huge boost in processing speed over your computer's CPU*. This lets you apply multiple filters such as video noise removal (time), smart sharpen, color correction, and more without having to add hours to your output time!

TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress

Of course since these benches are provided by the same people trying to sell you the product they have to be taken as absolute best-case examples of potential performance speedup as well. Would be great if Anandtech checked them out in their next CUDA badaboom review.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
I wish they used CUDA for encoding, as it is my bottleneck.
I rip my blu rays to VC-1 to play back on my xbox 360 and at max quality it sometimes takes 7 days to encode on my (somewhat outdated) 3800X2 939 based system.
If i could pop in a gt260 and get that down to a day (at insane quality) I'd do it in a heartbeat (wouldn't require a complete overhaul)

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
Originally posted by: nismotigerwvu
I rip my blu rays to VC-1 to play back on my xbox 360 and at max quality it sometimes takes 7 days to encode on my (somewhat outdated) 3800X2 939 based system.
If i could pop in a gt260 and get that down to a day (at insane quality) I'd do it in a heartbeat (wouldn't require a complete overhaul)

7 days to encode? So after 3 or 4 movies, the cost of electricity is more than the price of another BluRay player... :D

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Usage isn't pegged, its set at a low enough priority that it is "invisible" to normal usage.
While on the electricity topic, you have no idea of how many times I'd be down to the last hour or so of an encode and have the electricity flicker and reset the machine (and as far as I know TMPGEnc doesn't support resume).
I'm certain that is going to give me an aneurysm one of these days.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Spicedaddy

7 days to encode? So after 3 or 4 movies, the cost of electricity is more than the price of another BluRay player... :D

Huh? if I fold 24/7 on my GPU, CPU, and PS3 my power bill won't go to $400/week That is all 3 pegged to 100% usage.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Yeah my bill only comes ever 3 months and is under 10 bucks.
This is of course a modern (less than 5 years old) 1 bedroom apartment.
I should also mention that with the whole school, work, and lab time I only spent about 3~4 waking hours in the place.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
While on the electricity topic, you have no idea of how many times I'd be down to the last hour or so of an encode and have the electricity flicker and reset the machine

What I have no idea of is why you haven't purchased better power protection yet. For brownouts you can get either a cheapie UPS or a line conditioner.