Tivo is Freezing

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
I have a Phillips DVR that I bought refurbished. I bought the unit almost a year ago. I use it with my DirecTV box.

It's started freezing on me almost all the time now. I've had to reboot it about 5 times last night only while watching live TV. It will freeze on either live TV or on a taped program. It seems to have taped the shows fine, it just won't play them back correctly. Sometimes a reboot will fix these problems and I can then try to watch the show again with success, other times it won't work. Sometimes the remote won't work. If we pause or fast forward it won't respond to the remote telling it to play. The red light on the remote will blink but nothing happens.

I haven't been able to get in touch with Philips yet and the Tivo forums have not been of any help.

Anyone else run into this?

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I would guess your hard drive is screwing up...

I would pull the hard drive, save a copy of the hard drive image, and then plan on replacing the drive.. Put in a new 5400rpm drive (less heat) and you're good to go..

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
you can just put in a new blank drive and it's good to go? don't you need to do some kind of formatting/hacking or anything?!

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Spooner
I have a Phillips DVR that I bought refurbished. I bought the unit almost a year ago. I use it with my DirecTV box....

:(

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Just go pick up one of the DirecTV DVRs. You can get them practically free now and they rock.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
This may sound stupid but try it, change the batteries in the remote and make sure there isn't another remote flooding the room with IR. The TIVO remote light doesn't flash when it works right, it's a solid light on a button push. If you are getting a flickering light the batteries are low.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
I actually unplugged everything, left it unplugged for a few minutes, plugged everything back in and it seems to be fine now.

Conspiracy