Tivo / Amazon Unbox, is it better now than when it came out?

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
I am going to be getting a Series 3 at some point and saw a deal on Amazon and eventually linked over to their Unbox section. It looks pretty good, but I haven't tried the service. I know when it came out it got slammed, but I was wondering if Amazon/Tivo had reworked the model or if the service was better now that it has been out for about a year?

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
It's better, but the content is still not in HD. However, it is in better-than-SD format. Many times the content is letterboxed. It looks pretty ridiculous but when I set my TV aspect to zoom it looks much, much better than the stuff you'd see on SD in letterbox format, such as battlestar galactica or rescue me.

I really like being able to shop at work and have the stuff waiting for me at home.

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Originally posted by: torpid
It's better, but the content is still not in HD. However, it is in better-than-SD format. Many times the content is letterboxed. It looks pretty ridiculous but when I set my TV aspect to zoom it looks much, much better than the stuff you'd see on SD in letterbox format, such as battlestar galactica or rescue me.

I really like being able to shop at work and have the stuff waiting for me at home.

How long is it taking to show up on your tivo?

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Yeah, starts in 15 min because that's how frequently my tivo stays in contact with the network. Not sure how long it takes to download, that probably depends on your internet connection. I've only used it for free tv shows thus far, but was pretty impressed. Thinking about using it for movie rentals now.