Title edited: A64 doing well on the ORB, LOL

RamIt

Nov 12, 2001
Interesting. Weird how the P4 is killing the competition in 3DMark03.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
WooHoot!!! they lead in a SYNTHETIC BENCHMARK!!! You must be sooooo proud!!!

3dmark01 is like sandra, worthless when you compare cross-platform....

What a lame thread that has been rehashed by AMD junkies since the A64 release.

I won't even promote the 2003 INtel lead cause it is still a synthetic benchmark albeit newer and built to test the lastest features....

rgreen83

Feb 5, 2003
I think though that 3dmark01 is very much a better indicator of overall system performance. 3dmark03 basically only tests the graphics card as you can see here.

I gotta agree about sythetic benchmarks though, they are fine for judging the performance of changes/tweaks to the same pc, but for cross platform or even for different machines they are worthless!

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
Okay, I did word the title of this thread in a provacative manner. But I did not intend this to be about AMD vs. Intel. I could care less whether AMD or Intel is in the lead. I am, however, very excited to see a new technology doing so well.
While synthetic benchmarks are not too reliable, this particular one does reflect overall system performance pretty well. As I upgrade my system over time I always see a direct correlation between an increase in 3DMark01 and FPS in games like UT2003. In fact, if you look at real world gaming benchmarks with the A64 and Intel systems in various reviews you see very similar results to the ORB.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I don't think 3dmark01 is really very synthetic as far as synthetic benchmarks go. It renders real models and has real game physics in it. If it were extremely synthetic, it would just rendered a bunch of colored triangles like some of the 3d test in pc bench do.

Look at the rigs in each of your posts. And look at the way each person views things to their own liking. Intel or AMD.
Very funny stuff guys. Keep it coming. :)

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
i've used both amd and intel...

even a guy reports in a thread here that his 2.3 ghz 2100+ beats EVERYTHING in cpu bench in sisoft (except for 3.0 and 3.2C p4 chips)...

i say you can't trust a synthetic benchmark....

i think they're fun but i wouldn't use it to judge how fast a system is...

I agree. Just use what you like folks. Use what YOU believe is faster and be happy. I believe that my Intel P4 2.8/533 is the fastest processor I have ever used. Its not the fastest one out there, but more than plenty fast for me. Therefore, I am satisfied with it. I am a computer enthusiast (mid grade). In other words, I really like knowing whats going on in PC land, but I do not feel the necessity to have the bleeding edge stuff. I have good stuff, not cutting edge though.
I really dont care who is currently winning the CPU war. All I know is that we will ultimately benefit from it. I can't understand why pelikan felt the need to create this post. What does it mean? I guess it's just not in my personality to understand it.

GM

Toymaker

Jul 9, 2002
This is good for AMD even though it is a synthetic benchmark. The ORB is high profile. Hopefully the A64 will boost their sales and help them too eliminate most if not all of that 1.7 Billion dollar debt. Even us Intel Fanboys understand that AMD needs to stay competitive (and out of the hole financially) in order to keep Intel honest. We're already seeing $800.00 A64 FX's and rumors of $925.00 P4EE's. If we could somehow get manufacturers like Dell to understand the need to diversify we would all benefit cost wise.:light:

joe2004

Oct 14, 2003
I think though that 3dmark01 is very much a better indicator of overall system performance.
That is not true. You can put 2 gig memory and 512 memory and the 3DMark comes the same. That is far away from an equal setup. It is actually couple of hundreds of $$ of difference and quite a bit of performance difference as well. Try edit movie with 512 MB and then with 2 gig and then tell me it is the same. 3DMark will let you believe it is.

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
I can't understand why pelikan felt the need to create this post. What does it mean? I guess it's just not in my personality to understand it.GM

I realize that not everyone is interested in 3DMark01. That's understandable. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone or instigate, as I stated earlier, an AMD vs. Intel debate.
I created this post because it is exciting to me to see a new processor doing well in gaming performance and various benchmarks, synthetic and otherwise. New games are bogging down our systems these days. In the future we will, of course, always need faster systems to keep up with them and enjoy the increased realism they offer. The fastest cpu for gaming performance is, and always has been, at the top of the ORB. I find it particularly intriguing that a CPU at 2700MHz is beating a different CPU clocked at 4GHz+.

I know I'm not offended. Its just that too many people would look at this thread title and start to foam at the mouth and rev their engines to wage war.
And I was just wondering why thats all. I Just love to talk about this stuff, I just hate the dumb nowhere battles that we have to put up with in these forums.

GM

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
Yeah, you are right. The title could easily be read as confrontational. Next time I'll tone it down.

JeremiahTheGreat

Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: joe2004
I think though that 3dmark01 is very much a better indicator of overall system performance.
That is not true. You can put 2 gig memory and 512 memory and the 3DMark comes the same. That is far away from an equal setup. It is actually couple of hundreds of $$ of difference and quite a bit of performance difference as well. Try edit movie with 512 MB and then with 2 gig and then tell me it is the same. 3DMark will let you believe it is.

Perhaps its because 2GB memory DOESN'T have a major impact on games? How editing movie performance should be proportional to gaming performance doesn't make much sense to me.. they are different things.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Toymaker
This is good for AMD even though it is a synthetic benchmark. The ORB is high profile. Hopefully the A64 will boost their sales and help them too eliminate most if not all of that 1.7 Billion dollar debt. Even us Intel Fanboys understand that AMD needs to stay competitive (and out of the hole financially) in order to keep Intel honest. We're already seeing $800.00 A64 FX's and rumors of $925.00 P4EE's. If we could somehow get manufacturers like Dell to understand the need to diversify we would all benefit cost wise.:light:

Indeed. Competition = teh win for us.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: mngisdood
Give me a preponderance of non-synthetic benchmark 'wins' for the A64 and I'll be sold...

I agree, I would be sold but I still would not buy one since there still wouldn't be much difference in performace from a much cheaper chip the P4C's.

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
When these things get cheaper I'll buy one. I am very much looking forward to it.
The most important benchmark to me is UT2003 botmatch. I've been able to squeeze out 86 FPS in the botmatch benchmark at 1024 x 768. A stock A64 gets 105 FPS. Who knows what an overclocked A64 would get. People are overclocking them to 2400MHz on air.

MajorSlaughter

Oct 7, 2003
I'm no AMD fanboy nor am I all about Intel, but I can tell you from personal experience that the A64 @ 2.6ghz eats the P4's alive in overall system performance. It "feels" faster and most benches agree.

3dmark01 is the best overall system performace bench avaialble for "gaming" and the A64/FX51 will be at 28k within a few weeks. The P4EE is already on the board with 27k and thats all its going to be able to do with current gpu's.

3dmark03 is primarily dependent on gpu performance, you will see the A64 dominate 3dmark03 too once DJ, Macci, Opp, JC, etc get around to benching it.

I've benched with 3 x 2.4c, 1 x 2.6c, 2 x 2.8c, 1 x 3.0c, 1 x 3.2c on 2 x P4C800, 1 x IC7-G, 1 x 875P Neo so far, so I've got allittle experience with the P4c :D

Right out of the box I knew the A64 was going to be faster.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: MajorSlaughter
I'm no AMD fanboy nor am I all about Intel, but I can tell you from personal experience that the A64 @ 2.6ghz eats the P4's alive in overall system performance. It "feels" faster and most benches agree.

3dmark01 is the best overall system performace bench avaialble for "gaming" and the A64/FX51 will be at 28k within a few weeks. The P4EE is already on the board with 27k and thats all its going to be able to do with current gpu's.

3dmark03 is primarily dependent on gpu performance, you will see the A64 dominate 3dmark03 too once DJ, Macci, Opp, JC, etc get around to benching it.

I've benched with 3 x 2.4c, 1 x 2.6c, 2 x 2.8c, 1 x 3.0c, 1 x 3.2c on 2 x P4C800, 1 x IC7-G, 1 x 875P Neo so far, so I've got allittle experience with the P4c :D

Right out of the box I knew the A64 was going to be faster.

Come in here with this as your first post. Obviously you are trying to prove something. The 2.4C @ 3.4+ will keep up with that A64. Might not beat it in bench marks but it does come close and with a savings of $400+ I will stick with the sure performer and chipset and let all of these other people work out the bugs with the VIA.

MajorSlaughter

Oct 7, 2003
LOL :D And I'm glad to be here too !

Hey, like I said I'm no fan of either ! just thought you migh want some input for someone who has both sitting side by side.

I'd say an A64 at its stock config of 2ghz and 200mhz mem performs on par with a 3ghz P4 800mhz w/HT, but the A64's scale differently. At 2.6ghz you would be looking at a P4 at 4ghz minimum for comperable performace maybe closer to 4.1ghz.

PS. Intel anounced today that they will be offering the 2.8c, 3.0c, and 3.2c with 1gb of cache for the same price as current models but no eta yet, and the P4EXE 3.2c will priced at $925 and expected late Nov. what do you think this is in response too ?? lol

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
Good to see you here Major Slaughter. Your posts over at xtreme are always very knowledgeable. And 26K with that A64, very nice.:)