Titanic cruises, drawing criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/09/22/titanic.anniversary.cruises/index.html?hpt=T2

At least two cruises are planned in the spring of 2012 to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, with both touting special activities, lectures and memorials to commemorate the tragic voyage.

Not sure why people are complaining about this exactly. I can see people dressing up as characters from the movie as insulting, but consider this. Civil War reenactments. People dress up as Union and Confederate soldiers, pretend to kill each other, as a memorial, a method to remember history and hopefully remind people that war is a bloody affair. Auschwitz, Nazi concentration camp, site of untold numbers murdered and unspeakable evil and suffering. Today, its a museum and draws millions of tourists each year. Having said that, if you were to show up at Auschwitz in a Nazi uniform, I fully support local law enforcement beat the snot out of you.

Just because something terrible happened in the past, do you honestly want it to be utterly buried and forgotten? That's how history repeats itself, from people not learning from it.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
if you were to show up at Auschwitz in a Nazi uniform, I fully support local law enforcement beat the snot out of you.
I smell another Borat movie :hmm:
(that guy is Jewish btw)

prince_harry_nazi.jpg

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
My grandmother was on the original one.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

She was picked up by the Carpathia. My Dad had her blanket from the lifeboat, which he had long assumed was from the Carpathia. Turns out it is from the Titanic. I have it now.

My grandmother is extensively quoted and mentioned by name several times in Walter Lord's famous book A Night To Remember.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
She was picked up by the Carpathia. My Dad had her blanket from the lifeboat, which he had long assumed was from the Carpathia. Turns out it is from the Titanic. I have it now.

My grandmother is extensively quoted and mentioned by name several times in Walter Lord's famous book A Night To Remember.

That's awesome!!! Something to pass on for generations.

Oh, and do you have the "Heart of the Ocean" diamond necklace and was your grandma's name Rose? :p

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I don't think the passengers would have been insulted by this. They'd probably be amazed that people are still so interested in their story.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Maybe not the point, its somewhat good that a century later people are still fascinated with the sinking of the Titanic.

But still, I would never think getting on some cruise ship today, wasting a pile of money to reach the surface spot in the Ocean where the Titanic sunk would make me any part of that not so ancient history. But still I have to somewhat respect someone like Perknose who had famdamily members involved in the 1912 sinking.

Now, the only people who contribute new information are that set of people who have the high tech means to send a submersible vehicle to where the Titanic now is, many thousands of feet below the Ocean surface. But we must also ask, isn't that same submersible vehicle maybe better used looking for far more ancient shipwrecks yet undiscovered?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Now, the only people who contribute new information are that set of people who have the high tech means to send a submersible vehicle to where the Titanic now is, many thousands of feet below the Ocean surface. But we must also ask, isn't that same submersible vehicle maybe better used looking for far more ancient shipwrecks yet undiscovered?

discovery channel used to show stuff like that all the time, bob ballard off on an archaeological expedition with a bunch of robot subs. now i think all they show is docu-drama stuff

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008

I have that book on loan from my brother but I have not read it yet, any idea what pages the quotes are on?

I do not get why it would cause any complaints really, seems rather educational and interesting and chances are something like that would only really attract people with an interest in the Titanic anyway.

Feb 16, 2005
I think it's amazing it's taken this long. It was an accident, human error nearly all the way, but still human error. How is this any different than a plane that flies the same route as a crashed plane?
It's not.
If they want to dress in period costumes, so be it. I wonder if there'll be room for me in steerage :p

Status
Not open for further replies.