titan quest

gorbs

Mar 22, 2004
i know this isnt a new game but i picked it up over the weekend for cheap and gave it a try as i heard it was in the Diablo style of gaming.

downloaded the latest patches after installation before running the game and after a couple of hours of playing it will lock up, screen will go blank then it will come back but with the ground all blacked out. the characters and buildings are still there but it is definately a problem.

looking for some clues before heading over to their tech support site. system specs are in my sig. i tried overclocking my video card and no help. tried turning down the settings and no help. ?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
got the latest vid drivers?

I don't think I have ever had your problem, but I have just crashed to desktop before.

ockky

Jul 29, 2004
i've got a pretty beefy system i feel like, 8800gts, overclocked e4300, 2g ram, etc and the only way i can get this game to play is in 'window' mode...it looks great, but is kind of a bummer... EDIT: otherwise the entire screen goes black, but at least i can still hear the game! ... yay.

that being said, apparently the expansion is available for around $13 @ target, so i may go check my local store and pick it up today...since i just got bioshock and marvel ultimate alliance yesterday...

yay for disposible income!

EDIT: the expansion resolved the 'window' mode issue i was having ... so i can play the game fullscreen now

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I've played it for hours on amd/ati without issues (both before and after the expansion).

gorbs

Mar 22, 2004
i hate the crash to desk top!!!! i will try the latest nvidia drivers and see what happens. i had the same problem with the elder scrolls triple set. nothing fixed that so i quit playing it.

one thing in particular i noticed is that there is no icon on my desktop or in my start/program window ? i just slip the dvd into the drive and that starts the game. never had a game do that before.

thanks for your replies

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
.. and another nod for running the game problem-free on an Intel + ATI rig (e6600 + x1900XT 512 meg).

Honestly, if you have the same problem in other games I would suspect there is an issue with your system or the drivers rather than the titles. It sounds like another poster who also happened to overclock was having similar issues.

It's possible that the game is sensitive your overclock in a way that's not not manifesting in other applications or benchmarks. You might try running everything at stock speeds after doing a clean (as in use "drivercleaner" to remove the old drivers, then reinstall the latest from Nvidia) driver install and see how that works for you. You may also want to load up the latest Intel mainboard drivers to ensure it's not an issue with the AGP driver.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
my ati is a x1900Gt and my Nvidia is a 7800GT ( albeit on not the most recent drivers ) and like I said they both run fine. Each PC runs it. Each PC has the game installed through steam. Best way to check for problems is at the http://www.titanquest.net/forums/

Lots of good info there.

I love this game. Only got to lvl 31 because me and 4 other friends are playing it together and we all share loots and we kinda stopped playing atm for our personal games. But... nothing is wrong with this game for me ( other than the ventrilo/TS jitter if you don't set the VoIP to high priority) OR my friends who ALL have differnt PC ware ( 9800 to 8800 barton core to C2Ds) so if you can't find another with the same problem check your hardware.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: ockky
i've got a pretty beefy system i feel like, 8800gts, overclocked e4300, 2g ram, etc and the only way i can get this game to play is in 'window' mode...it looks great, but is kind of a bummer... EDIT: otherwise the entire screen goes black, but at least i can still hear the game! ... yay.

that being said, apparently the expansion is available for around $13 @ target, so i may go check my local store and pick it up today...since i just got bioshock and marvel ultimate alliance yesterday...

I can confirm this. I was looking to buy Titan Quest at Target yesterday and found both the original game and the expansion on Clearance for $13.98 each. They had several other games on clearance too. F.E.A.R Gold sticks out in my mind and I'm sure there were several others.

gorbs

Mar 22, 2004
thanks for the good recommendations!. going to check their site and unclock my system do the drivercleaner and see what happens. i like the game alot. going to have to get the expansion for sure !.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: gorbs
thanks for the good recommendations!. going to check their site and unclock my system do the drivercleaner and see what happens. i like the game alot. going to have to get the expansion for sure !.

Fire + Dream is a great combo.

You get your fire pet + the dream pet that buffs other pets

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Some games just get unstable if you run them too long, from memory and/or resource leaks. If you exit the game completely, Windows can clean up after the game. Restart it and you're good.

You may need to do this -before- the screen corruption takes place. In Planescape: Torment if I keep playing for too long after the green character markers and floating info text disappears it can crash the graphics driver badly enough that I need to reboot.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003

Get the expansion as soon as you can--playing the game with the expansion is much better, as it gives you more time to look for the new items. Yay arcane formulas. :)

gorbs

Mar 22, 2004
f#$##%#g sob!!!! that seems to have made things worse lol. going to remove the latest driver, re-run driver cleaner pro, reinstall the original drivers that came with the video card and see what happens. i got to the shipwreck and cleaned all that up and i had a crash to desktop just as i was going to save and exit lol.

big fun though even with the crashes

yuppiejr: you mentioned replacing the intel drivers for the mobo chipset ?? didn't know about that one. did i read your post correct ?? thanks

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
f#$##%#g sob!!!! that seems to have made things worse lol. going to remove the latest driver, re-run driver cleaner pro, reinstall the original drivers that came with the video card and see what happens. i got to the shipwreck and cleaned all that up and i had a crash to desktop just as i was going to save and exit lol.

big fun though even with the crashes

yuppiejr: you mentioned replacing the intel drivers for the mobo chipset ?? didn't know about that one. did i read your post correct ?? thanks

Howdy,

If I'm reading correctly - did you just state in your first paragraph that you installed the drivers that came with the video card? Doh! I'd bet that's our issue, the driver CD provided with pretty much all video cards is going to contain out of date drivers.

First, download the Forceware XP drivers here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.18.html

Then run drivercleaner Pro, strip out the old drivers again - then install the package you just downloaded from the link above.

Skip the Intel drivers for now, I am pretty sure loading the latest Nvidia drivers will resolve your issue. If not, download and install from the link below:

http://downloadcenter.intel.co...ating+Systems&lang=eng

Good luck!

gorbs

Mar 22, 2004
no, i did the driver cleaner after deleting the driver for my vid card. then installed the latest forceware and it did NOT help. i was going to install the original drivers that came with the card as a last resort before going back to the drawing board as i remember i had no issues running any games until i started updating the drivers.

i never updated my mobo bios either ? its the same since i got it so maybe that might be an issue also. anyway i'm confident i will git r done lol but after reading some forums it sounds like a majority of people had crash issues of some kind or another with this game.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Hmm, interesting - your setup isn't really that out of the ordinary from a configuration standpoint so I'm guessing the issue is either with your Windows XP installation or something odd with a driver. Did you install all of the available patches for the game as well as the latest Forceware drivers?

I am doubtful that a BIOS update would help much, even installing the Intel platform drivers is a bit of a longshot. Again, you said you had similar problems in Oblivion so I have a hard time blaming Titan Quest for the issue. It could also be that you have a bad or failing video board or other hardware component that's in play.

Honestly, I can't say I've ever seen the game crash or act strangely in any way on my rig even after some embarrassingly long multi-hour play sessions. It is a bit of a stretch to say "a majority of people" had problems, generally if you're reading a tech support forums for a game a majority of the people posting are having problems - but that doesn't mean a majority of players have the same problem. Most of the posters in this thread who chimed in had no problems at all running the game.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
no, i did the driver cleaner after deleting the driver for my vid card. then installed the latest forceware and it did NOT help. i was going to install the original drivers that came with the card as a last resort before going back to the drawing board as i remember i had no issues running any games until i started updating the drivers.

i never updated my mobo bios either ? its the same since i got it so maybe that might be an issue also. anyway i'm confident i will git r done lol but after reading some forums it sounds like a majority of people had crash issues of some kind or another with this game.

Out of curiosity, have you stress tested your computer using a program just for stress-testing? Also, is this the only game doing this?

gorbs

Mar 22, 2004
okay a couple things here: i play joint operations on-line for hours and hours at a time with no issues. i never did a stress test, too impatient lol. i am going to save my character and uninstall the game. reinstall it, then do the patch update, i think its 101. to 130. or something like that. this is the only game that has never installed an icon on my desktop and there is no mention of it im my start programs. ? that in itself is interesting.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I"ll reiterate what others have said... get immortal throne. some graphics and stability improvements and arcane formula's are fun. Legendary items are fun.

Dream mastery plus whatever is a pretty awesome build. The dream trances are way too powerful... Bwaaaahahaha.

gorbs

Mar 22, 2004
well i almost had it lol.

uninstalled the audigy, ran drivercleaner, reinstalled and ran the game for about two hours with no glitch's. it kind of seems like the game gets "impacted" and can't clear itself to keep running smoothly.

the battle continues lol

imported_hopeless

Oct 29, 2004
i am going to save my character and uninstall the game. reinstall it, then do the patch update, i think its 101. to 130. or something like that. this is the only game that has never installed an icon on my desktop and there is no mention of it im my start programs. ? that in itself is interesting.

I haven't had the black ground problem.

The first time I installed it for some reason I didn't get any icons either, they did finally show up after a reinstall of the game.

I've had it drop to the desktop a few times and the rubber-banding that others have also. The most recent thing that started happening is that it will hard lock my system when doing a refresh on the list for multiplayer games. Sometimes to the point of having to use the reset button to reboot.

I've found some good info on Titanquest net . Good luck with your problem, it's a pretty fun game.

gorbs

Mar 22, 2004
i am not on-line playing it yet as i wanted to get an idea of what it was all about before fumbling around , lol in multiplayer. i played through the blackened ground right into a crash to desktop then called it a night and went to bed.

i'm just a few attributes shy of some cool and powerfull weapons and armor, have to play so i can get them lol. these games are just like drugs i'm telling you lol.

ockky

Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: ockky

the expansion resolved the 'window' mode issue i was having ... so i can play the game fullscreen now ... hot dog