Tire rumbling has Nissan 350Z owners grumbling

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=09000774

Wearing Thin: Tire rumbling has Nissan 350Z owners grumbling
by MAC MORRISON

FACED WITH OWNER COMPLAINTS and a raging online debate about unusual tire wear on its popular 350Z sports car, Nissan has dispatched a team of engineers to investigate the problem.

Here?s what we know: A yet-to-be-determined number of the 39,000 2003 model year Z cars sold in America left Nissan?s Oppama (Japan) factory with incorrect front suspension toe settings. The result?after driving only a few thousand miles?is an uneven, ?cupped? wear pattern on the inside edge of each front tire that causes irritatingly loud road noise, particularly at speeds below 30 mph. We experienced the phenomenon firsthand with our long-term 350Z test car (AW, Dec. 1), and a click on Z enthusiast website my350z.com reveals over 1000 posts on the matter to the site?s online discussion board.

What if your Z suffers from obnoxious tire roar? Nissan issued its dealers a technical service bulletin (NTB03-006A) that instructs them to adjust the front-end toe, as well as swapping the ?cupped? front tires side-to-side (different tire sizes front-to-rear mean Z rubber can?t be rotated in the traditional sense). Dealers should carry out the work under warranty. Failing that, call (800) 647-7261 and lodge a complaint with the manufacturer.

Nissan is cautiously optimistic the problem is under control and will not plague newer 350Zs, although the company acknowledges it does not consider the matter closed and its engineers continue to monitor the situation. Nissan says the problem doesn?t affect handling and it does not consider ?cupped? tires a safety issue, meaning a recall is unlikely.

Previously announced changes to 2004 350Z suspension tuning (AW, Nov. 24) were adopted for improved ride and handling, and should have no effect on the tire wear issue.
If it was my car, they'd be replacing the damn tires, not just swapping them side-to-side. BTW Skoorbie, I thought that Nissan could never lose? Seems like they're handling this one real well.
rolleye.gif

Search keywords: Skoorb shmabbles xbox maxima sentra canada atlantic "never lose" MrsSkoorb alabama

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: N8Magic
Search keywords: Skoorb shmabbles xbox maxima sentra canada atlantic "never lose" MrsSkoorb alabama
Bwhahaha!

JimmyEatWorld

Platinum Member
Dec 12, 2000
I'm gonna have to tell my mate...his mom drives one, and shes seems like the kind of person who would drive it till the wheels fell off. (it being a new car and all)

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Ummmmm, arent you NOT supposed to rotate radial tires side to side?

If the cupping is that bad it seems that tire replacement would be the order of the day.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A lot of people have been able to get the dealers to replace the tires. A lot of others have countered the problem with upgraded suspension kits which include camber rods, traction rods, etc.

I have a '03 350Z at about 7500 miles, and my tires are thus far perfect.

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Sounds like the QC is about like it was in 94 when I bought one of their extended cab trucks. They had to replace three sets of tires in less than a year, they all cupped.

Ghamu

Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Howard
Seems like they're handling this one real well.
Yes, we should all follow the example of Ford.

Is that sarcastic or a straight forward remark... if you look at history, Ford ended up going OUT of its way to resolve the situation ie. shutting down new car production to meet the enormous demand for new tires. The choice Nasser ulitmately made to do this (shut down new explorer production, bad news if your an investor and the business is making cars) many speculate led to his firing at Ford...

Eventually they will feel the pressure, and replace the tires.
Sad that it will take this long for them to do this to their flagship sports car.
rolleye.gif
at Nissan.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Howard
Seems like they're handling this one real well.
Yes, we should all follow the example of Ford.

we should. Ford ackowledges their problems and works towards fixing it.

They have a lot of recalls cause they actually admit its a problem...unlike other manufacturers.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks for the post.
A friend of mine is up in Sacramento and will take his 03, 350Z, w/4k miles to the dealer in the AM.
I called his cell and gave him the numbers. I could not believe he didn't know what cupping is!

If the tires are directional, they would have to be dismounted from the wheels and remounted putting the cupping on the outside. What a mess. New expensive tires under warranty for sure, I hope.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
First it was the major engine problems with the QR25DE, and now this.

Nissan is on a roll! :D

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Incorrect toe settings? Bah...

Any REAL sports car driver worth their own salt would have ditched the factory rubber and already looked to alter the toe settings already anywho. Factory settings tend to emphasize tire life rather than performance generally. Too much toe in/out is generally worse than too much camber on tires though.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
all new cars have their problems and recalls. Especially the first model.

You are absolutely correct.

I'm more critical of the way that Nissan is handling these problems.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

roger.

And I'll be the first to ask exactly what are "cupped" tires?

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

roger.

And I'll be the first to ask exactly what are "cupped" tires?

Tires that have flat or scuffed spots and have worn unevenly (areas of high tread and low tread) are considered "cupped". It is usually caused by worn out parts in the suspension of the car, but in this case it would seem to be caused by improper setup from the factory or possibly a design fault.

As you can imagine, a tire that is not completely symmetrical would create a hell of a roar.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
First it was the major engine problems with the QR25DE, and now this.

Nissan is on a roll! :D

they had major problems wit hte QR25DE?

Wasn't it just a sensor that neded to be replaced?

Are you just mad cause your VW's getting screwed?