Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
i switch both sides

i dont cross. ive heard with radials you shouldnt cross them :shrug;

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
My Eagle F1's are directional so the LR goes to the LF and the RR goes to the RF

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
So that each tire hits every wheel. If you did it the way you describe, each tire would hit two wheels.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
A lot of newer tires have a rotational direction. Our tires are just a switch from front to back and vice versa. If you cross the direction changes and apparently they wear faster, though I'm not 100% sure.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
This rotation pattern is so it all works out in the long run after several rotations. The first time you rotate tires, crossing one pair or both pairs will make almost no difference. But if you cross both now, think what happens the next time. You cross both again, and you are right back where you started!

BUT, take the front ones straight back every time, and cross the rear ones as they move to the front. Now do it again. You will see that, after the second rotation compared to the original arrangement, each tire is now on the same axle but on opposite sides from where you started. Keep this up and each tire will end up going through all four positions.

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
The treads on most tires are directional, so the tires always stay on the same side of the car--front to back and back to front.

I haven't owned any tires that are crossed to the other side for a long time.