Tire Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Herr Kutz, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Herr Kutz

Herr Kutz Golden Member

I had a tire blowout on my car on the way to work this morning so I'm in the market for new tire(s).

My knowledge of tires is pretty much non-exisitent, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

Car: Nissan Versa SL, 08, Hatchback
    Size: P185/65R15

I currently have 1 Fuzion brand, 2 Continental ContiProContact tires (Grand Touring All-Season; supposedly LRR), and the spare on my car--the blown out tire is Fuzion brand.

Braking & hydroplaning performance is most important to me. My current tires aren't that great in wet weather, and frankly, its kind of scary driving my car in inclement weather. Lower road noise and decent handling would also be nice. I really have no clue whether my car, with its current tires, handles well or not since I have no comparison for it. But, I have no fuss with the current handling. Fuel efficiency is probably the lowest on my list--unless there is a significant drop on tires that aren't LRR--since I already get decent mileage.

P.S. Is it a good idea to change all tires at once? The treads appear to be sufficient on the 3 working tires, but the 2 Contiental contiprocontacts are likely the original tires that came with the vehicle which was bought used (I will check the date of manufacture when I get a chance to see if this is true).

Thanks

Edit: Oh yeah, I can count the number of times it's snowed here on one hand, so I don't need snow tire recommendations.

#1 Herr Kutz, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Jimzz

Jimzz Diamond Member

3. Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit Diamond Member

4. Herr Kutz

Herr Kutz Golden Member

I'm going to have to go with a brand I can source locally since I need to replace the tire today.

That will probably limit me to Michelin, Goodyear, and, Firestone.

I am looking to see if any local place has Continental tires in stock.

5. michal1980

michal1980 Diamond Member

continetal dws or dw if no snow.

6. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

If the Continental tires have good tread you can probably keep them. The new ones are supposed to go on the back

7. JCH13

JCH13 Diamond Member

Looking at your basic needs I would suggest this tire: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...el=Defender&partnum=865TR5DEF&fromSurvey=true

The Continental ProContact tested as better wet traction than the Defender though, so if you're having hydroplaning issues it's probably time for new tires. You say the tread 'appears sufficient' yet profess to know basically nothing about tires. :colbert: Can you actually measure the tread? Or do a penny/quarter test at least?

From the TR article:

"If rain and wet roads are a concern, you should consider replacing your tires when they reach approximately 4/32" of remaining tread depth. Since water can't be compressed, you need enough tread depth to allow rain to escape through the tire's grooves. If the water can't escape fast enough, your vehicle's tires will be forced to hydroplane (float) on top of the water, losing traction."

#7 JCH13, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  8. hans007

hans007 Lifer

i've had the DWS , and the procontact (on different cars though).

the DWS is a great tires, it actually lasts a lot longer than you'd expect for an all season sport, another friend has them and he says after 25k miles they had probably 20k miles of tread left.

plus they are fairly cheap, more or less the same price as the procontacts but sportier. you probably sacrifice 10k miles of tread life possibly but i think they are much much better tires

9. Rallispec

Rallispec Lifer

One more vote for the continentals, I've run the dws on two separate cars with good results.

10. T2urtle

T2urtle Diamond Member

lots of people support the DWS tires. But they are normally higher priced then most. Not super high but above average.

I've found out talking to people who have tire blow outs that mainly because of old age or bad tire care (tire pressures mainly). How OLD are the tires on your car? How did those conti and fusions make it on your roughly 6 year old car (pending your service date).

You dont have to replace all 4 but it MIGHT be time. Some people drive on 10 year old tires and never have issues and but all it takes is for one bad blow out.... For that reason i try not to drive on 7+ year old tires that show dry rot or anything odd. Ive seen people drive on COMPLETELY BALD tires in the SNOW. Try to tell them but they wouldn't hear it.

I vote for Kumho's All-season, i put some AGX or ASX on my brother's maxima this year for about $350 great tires that will last him. No grip issues. I have some firestones FR710 or 810 and i hate them. No grip in rain, loud on the highway. Comfort is average.

11. ThatsABigOne

ThatsABigOne Diamond Member

If you can find Michelin Harmony tires, then that's good, because they are great great. I am running them and have over 70k miles on them with plenty of tread left for safe hydroplaning resistance.