Tips on catching cheating spouses with digital voice recorders?

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
So doing tech support for cameras and voice recorders, I almost routinely speak to people using the recorders to try and catch their significant others cheating.

I give them tips like using the VCVA function to only record when it hears sound instead of all of the time, but can you guys think of anything else creative? Like creative places to hide it? The last guy I spoke to was hiding it under a hat which almost worked...

Too bad she deleted the recordings and that recorder doesn't show up as a drive, so it can't be recovered :(.

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: homestarmy
So doing tech support for cameras and voice recorders, I almost routinely speak to people using the recorders to try and catch their significant others cheating.

I give them tips like using the VCVA function to only record when it hears sound instead of all of the time, but can you guys think of anything else creative? Like creative places to hide it? The last guy I spoke to was hiding it under a hat which almost worked...

Too bad she deleted the recordings and that recorder doesn't show up as a drive, so it can't be recovered :(.

this is what you went to film school for?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
under kitchen table or places she talks on the phone.

Its usually better to just hire a private investigator.

That way its admissible in court and she won't own the man.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
Originally posted by: djheater
Taping it under a table.

Top of the fridge or top of the kitchen cabinets.

Wouldn't the top of the fridge have too much noise to hear anything?

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Originally posted by: tangent1138

this is what you went to film school for?

Nope. Who said I was done with school? I am going for my Masters in Mass Comm and this is my job until I finish (at least for now, will probably be doing cable ISP support very soon).

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
First tip would be don't do it - depending on the jurisdiction it may be illegal and could get them in alot of trouble. Many jurisdictions require at least one party to the conversation to be aware of the recording.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
I don't think that most of the people are doing it for legal reasons. They just want to know if it is happening or not. If then they confirm, then they can take the next step like hiring an investigator.

So could I be aiding and abbetting or whatever it is called by helping?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
I don't think that most of the people are doing it for legal reasons. They just want to know if it is happening or not. If then they confirm, then they can take the next step like hiring an investigator.

So could I be aiding and abbetting or whatever it is called by helping?

Doesn't matter what their intent is - if they get caught at it they could be in trouble.

Look here - http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

Of particular interest to you may be the fact that Florida requires all parties to a conversation to consent to recording

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
btw, on interstate phone calls, which state's laws apply?
i.e. if I call Florida where both parties need to know, but I'm in NY where only one person needs to know, do I have to let them know? Does it depend on where the call originates?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
i.e. if I call Florida where both parties need to know, but I'm in NY where only one person needs to know, do I have to let them know? Does it depend on where the call originates?

The link I posted has some information on that IIRC

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Armitage
Originally posted by: DrPizza

The link I posted has some information on that IIRC

Yes, it does... and it gives a few examples. Apparently it hasn't been set in stone. There was a case where a PA call to NY (2-party state to 1-party state) was recorded. Court ruled the damage occurred in NY, so NY's laws were applied.

Another case, a newspaper wanted federal legislation to trump state legislation on an interstate call. Newspaper won anyway, but the federal vs. state issue wasn't addressed.

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
If the trust has diminished to the point of feeling the need for cameras and recorders, other issues need to be addressed.

Reactions: ultimatebob

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
As much as I hate the idea of this type of secretive spying, it also kinda sounds like fun to come up with these things. :p

Few random ideas:

Inside a light fixture. It can run off batteries but have a charging circuit that is wired into the light!

If it's really small, could even put it inside a socket, remove the plate, and put it inside. Can also be powered by said outlet.

Another option is inside hvac vents, but if the hvac is running it will kill the sound, so this would only work in situations where hvac is not expected to run much or at all. Ex: in summer in a house that has no A/C.

Or, in plain sight. like embedded inside a table decoration. It could be made to run on 18650 batteries that are easy to change. She steps out, you do a quick swap of batteries and SD card and put it back.

In any of these situations if the spy device is custom made, the mic part can even take advantage of surface vibrations. So like the one that goes inside the socket would physically couple to the plate of the outlet. and it actually IS the mic. A table decoration can couple to the surface it's resting on and use the entire table. Lot of different ways to experiment.

In all reality though I can't imagine being in a relationship where I lose trust in the partner. I would also feel very dirty recording "just to make sure". Minute someone has said lack of trust perhaps this becomes more of a marriage thing than technological.

Edit: Awww crap, necro. Just noticed now. lol

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I think they all divorced, re-married, and re-divorced by now. Even the kids are divorced.