Tips on building sites

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Can anyone recommend web building software? I'm thinking of working on my first one this month and I would like to design something with colorful graphics, a real attractive looking site that someone with even a slow connection can appreciate. Any input you can give me I'd appreciate.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Microsloth Frontpage and Macrocrap Dreamweaver are the best :D

.... programs for newbies, that is. Real men use Notepad. :p

-RSI

PS: If you want to give notepad a shot, just go to http://www.htmlgoodies.com and get started on learning some HTML, it really isn't tough at all.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Second the vote for Notepad. Granted you'll actually have to (Gasp!) learn some code, but the end results will be much more efficient than anything FrontPage or the like will produce. Plus it's good to know some code even if you do plan on using FrontPage, 'cause frequently you'll want to tweak something...And FrontPage won't be able to figure out what the hell you want. The solution? Notepad, of course...

Viper GTS

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
All hail Notepad.

I use Notepad (Wordpad when the site gets to big) to do my HTML.

I'll occasionally open the site in Netscape Composer to color up some tables or to check spelling.

Why Composer? Not just because it's free, but because it doesn't molest my code beyond all recognition. :p

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yeah learn some html, but DREAMWEAVER is easily the best html editor/producer out there. And don't pay much heed to those &quot;real men&quot; that only use notepad.... they'll spend 11 hours on a page that can be done in 2 with the help of a good editor ;) I've also noticed that most webpages that are proudly created with notpad don't always look the best, but you may not be going for a clean nice looking page layout though, who would?

--edit--

Oh yeah and if you want somthing colorful and quick to load, start messing with tabels right away. While it might seem confusing at first, you can do a lot with it. And just stay away from embedding LARGE inmages in your website.

Also as a service to the viewers........STAY AWAY FROM FRAMES!! :p

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I use to use notepad but I have gotten lazy. :(

<< .And FrontPage won't be able to figure out what the hell you want >>

Just go to the tab underneath the window and click HTML. You can edit their junk if you can sort through the bloat code.

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
Notepad gets the job done for me. I've built my website from the bottom up and haven't used any copy paste on the whole thing. Building sites is actually one thing I'm not too shabby at:)

jyrixx

May 31, 2000
do yourself a favor, learn html.. then you'll see why notepad is far superior than any editor.. (unless you don't have much time, in which case, editors can be better). if you need to use big images, make sure you split them up.. so one big image = 2 smaller ones.. use tables to position them.. TABLES ARE YOUR FRIENDS!
good luck!

Celstar

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Sure notepad will get the job done if you dont mind having a site that looks like a 10 year old did it.

slicksilver

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
I personally like FP and Dreamweaver.....they are the best....FP is damn good when it comes to managing web sites and Dreamweaver for power editing......I would recommend you learn HTML and then switch on to these tools so that you can edit them to your style. Notepad??.......I kinda find it foolish to find people using notepad to create web pages &quot;today&quot;..... I would say that Homesite is a better option....That's just my opinion and I respect the opinion of others in the forum......

Best of luck

Raj

Dreamweaver 3.0 rules. Sure, coding in Notepad is fun for like your first three sites, but soon coding HTML by hand begins to suck. Oh yeah, and real men use vi, but that's neither here nor there :)

Justin

Oct 9, 1999
I use EditPad. Nice layout and lots of nice features like line numbers, syntax highlighting, spell checking etc.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I sometimes just slap something together using Outlook Express and then tweak that. Here's a QUICK example...

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i have been caught using word to manipulate code... saving it in plain text format of course. mostly because of the replace and find options.

i also use visual page that came with systemworks.

notepad is too limiting but i use it sometimes.