Tipping Etiquette

JC86

Jan 18, 2007
So I took my mom's mercedes to the dealer for service today and they offer complimentary door to door shuttle service to and from the dealer. My question is, do i need to tip the driver?
If so, how much? I didn't this time because i didn't have any cash on me but I felt kind of bad. Is there some sort of standard?

JC86

Jan 18, 2007
I'm not sure, that's why i'm asking, the free ride is nice and all but should I tip for the convenience it affords me?

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
no its a "complimentary" ride...you would only tip if you were paying for the service.

Cruisin1

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
no and in fact they aren't allowed to take tips. I tried to tip a guy at my toyota dealership and he told me he could get in trouble from his boss if he took tips.

JC86

Jan 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Cruisin1
no and in fact they aren't allowed to take tips. I tried to tip a guy at my toyota dealership and he told me he could get in trouble from his boss if he took tips.

thanks for the clarification, I feel better about not tipping him then.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: JC86
So I took my mom's mercedes to the dealer for service today and they offer complimentary door to door shuttle service to and from the dealer. My question is, do i need to tip the driver?
If so, how much? I didn't this time because i didn't have any cash on me but I felt kind of bad. Is there some sort of standard?

I used this service for 4 years while at my last job and I never thought of tipping them so--I didn't.

Heck, they probably made a pretty good income.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I usually tip the guy a couple bucks.

Originally posted by: Drakkon
no its a "complimentary" ride...you would only tip if you were paying for the service.

Is concierge service complimentary? The taking of your bags to your room at a hotel? Towels at the pool of the hotel? Putting up an umbrella for your at the beach in Hawaii?

If someone provides you with a service, to show your appreciation, your should tip them more often than not.

MotionMan

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
It's probably a nice diversion for the guys who drive the shuttle, instead of doing crap odd jobs around the dealership.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
It's probably a nice diversion for the guys who drive the shuttle, instead of doing crap odd jobs around the dealership.

Most of the dealership shuttle drivers in our area do nothing but drive the shuttle.

MotionMan

syee

Oct 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Turin39789
Always tip at least 20%

20% of $0 is still $0 :D

Personally, I probably would have given the guy $5 or something like that if he had to go somewhat far to drop me off.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
Well it would have been nice of you to give him/her a couple of bucks. I work at a dealership and I drive customers home a couple times a day. I don't expect any tip but it would be nice since I only make $8 hr which is nearly impossible to live off of.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Hell no, it's their job to get me from the dealership to work/home and vice versa.