Ting - Tiered wireless service

Lean L

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2009
I thought I'd share this since I have been on the service myself for about 2 months now.

Here is a review:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2013/01/11/tings-pay-for-what-you-use-cell-service-review/

Personally I pay $20 a month for 100/1000/100 now. It's hard to stay under that limit at times but I've managed to do okay in the past two months. I don't know much about the phones they sell but most Sprint phones can be transferred over.

The had an offer where they were paying your ETF for switching over I'm not sure that is still happening. Keep an eye out on slickdeals for better deals but right now this coupon works for $25 off service for signing up.

http://slickdeals.net/ting.com-coupons/

KingPenguin

Apr 7, 2003
We've been on Ting since the summer and pay about $40 a month for two phones. Besides 4G if you get a capable phone, the other big benefit is they allow voice roaming onto Verizon's network. Most MVNO's don't allow any roaming at all. Also, it's $6/month for extra lines which share the pooled minutes/texts/data which means you can really save for low usage.

I've talked 5 other people into switching by just showing them those plans. Unless you use lots of data/text/talk where the unlimited plans start to pay off or can't save the money to buy the phone upfront, Ting is great!

You can always hit up someone who already has Ting for a referral link to get an extra $25 applied to your account when signing up.

I think that coupon is simply someone's referral code.

Sep 12, 2004
Thanks OP. Mine and my wife's Sprint contract is up in a few weeks. I've been looking for a relatively painless transition to a no-contract plan and this looks to be about as good as it gets. We don't use our phones that much and this should save us between $50 - $75 a month.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Wow - one thing that looks nice is they include hotspot (straigh ttalk and other providers do not). I wonder ...

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Supposedly, these are the only phones you can migrate into their service:

• NOW SUPPORTED: Samsung Nexus S
  • HTC EVO 4G (A9292)
  • HTC EVO 3D (X515C)
  • HTC EVO Shift (A7373)
  • Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch (SPHD710)
  • Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700)
  • LG Optimus S (LS670)
  • Motorola Photon 4G (MB855)
We’ve mentioned previously that BlackBerry, iPhone, LTE and Push to Talk (PTT) devices cannot make the move to Ting at all at present. Also, Boost and Virgin Mobile devices are out of the running entirely, despite the fact that they also work on the Sprint network.
But I've read that they have access to the sprint LTE network, so I'm confused as to why you can't use an LTE device.

dehemke

Nov 17, 2004
I want to love TING, as I like the dynamic tier model, but the price point doesn't seem a great value unless I'm missing something. If I am, please tell me.

1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 3GB is $89.00

Tmobile unlimited everything (no contract) is $70
Sprint unlimited everything (no contract) is $70

Ting only seems like a deal for very light edge case users.

//---
sprint no contract phones are horrible btw.

Last edited:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Not sure where you got that list but when I checked their site this morning I know it included the note 2 (which is lte).

Supposedly, these are the only phones you can migrate into their service:

But I've read that they have access to the sprint LTE network, so I'm confused as to why you can't use an LTE device.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Not sure where you got that list but when I checked their site this morning I know it included the note 2 (which is lte).

From their website. This is only the list of sprint devices you can bring onto their pricing plan, the devices you buy from them directly might be a different story. A lot of the prices on the devices you buy from them are retail though, the Galaxy S3 is over $500. I wish I could move my phone from verizon over.

Oh, and I guess they are rolling out LTE currently. Only certain cities for now (and I can't get their map to work to find out if mine is one of them), but more to be rolled out throughout 2013:
Now available in select cities across the U.S., with over 100 new markets expected to launch throughout 2013, 4G LTE gives you average download speeds of 6-8 Mbps and peak rates of up to 25 Mbps.
I priced it out and I think I'll wait on this, it's not that much $ savings from my current plan with Verizon, I don't want to pay a ton for another phone and have the possibility of losing LTE if it isn't available in my area yet.

Last edited:

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
if it were me i'd probably get the LG marquee refurb. not sure i'd go all out and buy an expensive device right from the start. i'd get something cheap, and test out their service, then move up to something down the road if i planned on staying with them a while. LG marquee is the sprint version of LG Optimus Black, and theres a pretty decent development going on for that device over at xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1190

Nov 29, 2006
I think for people who dont require data it might be hard to beat the $12/m for 1200mins and 1200 text from Page Plus Cellular on Verizons network.

Ting would be hard to beat if you really didnt use much of anything though. Like 100 of each text/mins.

Last edited:

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
not sure where you're getting that number from but looking on page plus site $12 only gets you 250minutes 250 texts and 10mb data
$29 gets you 1200 minutes

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Put my kids on Ting a few months ago-

-plan on about $3 per line in taxes and fees(could vary by state) with your bill
-$6 per line flat fee, minutes/data/texts are pooled across all lines. When you go from one usage tier to the next your bill is adjusted up automatically, you are charged at the end of the month for what tiers your usage put you in. You can disable and enable each usage metric from individual handsets as often as you want. Turning off texting for a day on a teenage daughter is super effective at getting attention.

-cheapest phone would probably be a second hand evo/3d or epic from your local classifieds. Any sprint phone can be ported over except iphones, blackberries, LTE phones, and i believe palms.There was some drama over porting nexus phones over, that seems to have been at least partially cleared up. I think it takes a little more leg work to get up and running on one but i haven't read up on it lately. They have said that they hope to do LTE and iphones in the future, but the hold up isn't on their end. They don't officially support anything other than the ones they have listed, but that mostly means that they don't have a tutorial on how to get MMS and Wimax working. When you port a phone over they give you the MSL #, most samsung and HTC androids have similar enough settings that you will be able to edit the settings with a little google detective work.
-They don't care if you tether. With how expensive data is they probably want you to though.

Thats all i can think of that might be handy.

kreactor

Jan 3, 2005
good enough for my folks sharing 100 minutes mostly asking which supermarket aisle they're in