Timex Internet Messenger Watch for $90 with 1yr of Free SkyTel Service @ Walmart BM.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darren

Feb 26, 2000
FREE Toll-Free Personal Access Number so your friends & family can stay in touch nationwide, without needing to remember another number

what does that mean?
is the pager # a toll-free # - e.g. 18001234567 ?

Dood

Aug 16, 2001

This thing is GREAT! Question on the "888" number though: Someone posted that the 888 is free from pay phones. I've tried 3 payphones and none will let me make the 888 call unless I pay $.50. So for anyone to page me, they must pay if using a pay phone. Anyone else experiencing this?

ZepperDude

Feb 1, 2001
Not going to be available in Canada even though we have a compatible provider (BELL) ...l

This sucks ...

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I was thinking about getting one of these before we go to Disneyworld and the Bahamas next month. I was actually leaning toward the BeepWear one (where you can in phone numbers and stuff into storage) but this look like a better deal.

I prefer digital watches in general and this little Casio Forester that I've been wearing for a long time is rather ugly. I may swing by our WalMart later today (I know they have one cause I saw it yesterday) and pick it up after all.

Wingerr

May 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Dood
This thing is GREAT! Question on the "888" number though: Someone posted that the 888 is free from pay phones. I've tried 3 payphones and none will let me make the 888 call unless I pay $.50. So for anyone to page me, they must pay if using a pay phone. Anyone else experiencing this?

The 888, 877, 866 numbers are toll free numbers, but some payphones such as those operated by private parties may put a charge on all calls; the ATT phones usually don't charge for the call.

With watches activated separately (not purchased through Skytel), the callers can leave a voice message, and you can pick up the message by calling 800-759-8255. The one purchased directly from Skytel didn't have this option, for some reason.

Dood

Aug 16, 2001

My webhosting company's POP email server lets me forward copies of all emails to any address(es) through their email server admin screen. So I have copies of my emails forwarded to 8881234567@timex.skytel.com. It is so cool to get my emails this way. If they're important, I can hop on the net and check 'em.

VisionsUCI

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
winger... the ones purchased through skytel have their own toll free number, rather than dialing the 800 number and then entering the pin to get to the personal mailbox. i personally like having a unique toll free number better.

also, go to the skytel website and you can change the email address. mine is now garrettho@skytel.com

Wingerr

May 26, 2001

Are you able to leave voice mail on the skytel purchased ones? The one I got through Skytel (and returned) didn't have the option to leave voice mail.

I can retrieve my messages through my own toll free number also; just have to hit * as the message comes up, and follow the menu prompts. The 800 number is just what shows up on the watch when you get a voice message, and is another way to retrieve the messages.

KingofBladez

Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: oLLie
Am I the only one who thought it was an Instant Messenger watch? :eek:

Ollie

*edit* Anyone know how often and how much battery replacements are for this watch?

Nope, I was wondering wtf you would want to receive instant messages and not be able to reply to them :)

Wingerr

May 26, 2001
[Nope, I was wondering wtf you would want to receive instant messages and not be able to reply to them :)

Even though you can't, it'd handy to be able to receive them, provided your friends know it's one way and are able to exercise some restraint... definitely wouldn't want to be continually blitzed with a barrage of messages on the watch!

It'd just yet be another way to get messages to you; email, upoc, toll free number, skytel site, etc.

Batteries are supposed to last 30 days, but more likely 60 days each, depending on your use of the backlight, number of pages, alarm use, etc.

kassaam

Aug 22, 2001
If you need a source for batteries, try Costco. My costco has a hearing aid station where they sell these batteries for $9.99 for a 20 pack. Now that's a lot of batteries!

VisionsUCI

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
according to the documentation i received with the watch, it should last 2 months, and you can even use the powersave to make it last longer (have it automatically turn off at certain times)

also, i got four batteries with my watch.. .so it should last for a while...

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: VisionsUCI
winger... the ones purchased through skytel have their own toll free number, rather than dialing the 800 number and then entering the pin to get to the personal mailbox. i personally like having a unique toll free number better.

also, go to the skytel website and you can change the email address. mine is now garrettho@skytel.com

do you have a link for that i couldn't find it

Wingerr

May 26, 2001
20% off for timex.com purchases available with mastercard now-

free shipping still applies too-

$80 shipped

DerProfi

Jan 11, 2001
Yup, Wingerr beat me to it. Do a Google search on Mastercard + Timex and you'll find the code. Note that you do not need to pay with a Mastercard in order for this 20% off code to work. I did this deal 2 weeks ago with my AmEx.

dandv

Jul 5, 2009
Z8CtQ1c.jpg

More pics at http://imgur.com/a/3CFvo. It's new in the box. Nice Web 1.0 era vintage item :)

Anyone wants it? I live in the Bay Area, CA.

peone121

Banned
Jun 5, 2015
Taken from FW credit goes to ibm650. Comes with one free year of service from SkyTel.

FREE Unlimited text and numeric paging for one full year.
Nationwide Coverage so you'll get your messages in thousands of cities and towns from coast-to-coast.
FREE Toll-Free Personal Access Number so your friends & family can stay in touch nationwide, without needing to remember another number.
FREE Unlimited SkyTalk voice mail: Contacts call your toll-free number and leave a voice message. You'll be notified instantly on your watch. (10-second greetings, 20-second messages.)
FREE Caller ID so you'll know who's trying to reach when you get a numeric page or voice mail notification.
FREE Pager Email Address so you can receive Internet email messages on your wrist.
FREE Personal Greeting: You record your own greeting. Callers immediately know they?ve dialed the right number when they hear your voice.
FREE 24x7 Customer Service with toll-free access.
FREE Message Recall: Get your messages via toll-free phone call or on the Internet when you forget to wear your watch.
FREE Service Activation:

Watch features:

Lightweight, trim design ? less than 1/2 inch high
Chronograph, stopwatch (including lap timer)
Countdown timer
Up to 5 alarms
Adjustable-speed scrolling display screen
INDIGLO® night-light
Zinc Air battery lasts up to 30 days
FLEXtime? feature auto adjusts the time as you travel, so you'll never need to reset your watch again!
Mobile alerts from Yahoo! Get the news, sport scores, weather and more.
Choice of message alerts including vibration or musical tones
Plus, it?s a high quality Motorola® text & numeric pager!

Excellent offer with amazing features thank you

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
What is this...I don't even... Necromancing Lurker lvl. 100000000

2 posts since 2009 and one of them brings back a thread that died in 2002. At least it was on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.