Time's Person of the Year 2007 is...

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade
I thought for sure it was going to be Chavez.

Nah, Chavez was publicly neutered during the election. Furthermore, he's the El Presidente' of Venezuela which, aside from their oil wealth, is a non issue compared to the looming monstrosity that is Russia. Vladimir PUTIN (pronounced as Senor' Bush would say it) is an infinitely more significant and persistent global figure. I think we've just begun to see him throw his weight around.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Interesting read. It certainly is not going to help public opinion of him outside of Russia.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
This must be a joke.

Putin? Seriously, putin? This guy is trying to inch Russia back to where it was 20 years ago, and he's the person of the year.

Runner Ups include JK Rowling, Al Gore, David Petreaus, and Hu Jintao. I could understand if Gore won, but excuse my ignorance: what the hell has JK Rowling done to win a "Person of the Year?" Seriously. And Petreaus? Yea...

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: fatpat268
This must be a joke.

Putin? Seriously, putin? This guy is trying to inch Russia back to where it was 20 years ago, and he's the person of the year.

Runner Ups include JK Rowling, Al Gore, David Petreaus, and Hu Jintao. I could understand if Gore won, but excuse my ignorance: what the hell has JK Rowling done to win a "Person of the Year?" Seriously. And Petreaus? Yea...

I agree with your broad derisions, but who would YOU recommend instead?

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
This must be a joke.

Well, in Putin's favor, "trying to inch Russia back to where it was 20 years ago" will have a pretty big effect on the world.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
This must be a joke.

Putins' hardcore. Giving Russia it's pride back ( at the cost of political freedoms of course ). With all that oil and gas cash ( confiscated from the private sector right? ) he can pump the military back up. People seem to be all like 'China this and China that' and forget that Russia's still around.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
I assumed it was going to be Gore; interesting choice in Putin.

And to the people who say Putin shouldn't have won it, Hitler, Stalin, Kruschev, and Ayatollah Khomeini have all been recipients of the award; if I understand correctly, they're not some of the most universally beloved characters ever.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Bootprint
At least they didn't put his gone fishin' picture on the front.

:Q

he doesn't look as good sans the hat and sunglasses though.... and being shirtless helped him!

Ok, yeah he looks good for 54 I suppose but... gehh... put the suit back on you bitch-tittied despot!

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
yeah, they gotta go with evil part of the time

I guess you were quite happy when Russia was melting down and billions of rubbles were been stolen and shipped out to the west and Israel under Boris Yeltsin's rule. Putin is good for Russia he is not an American stooge. American's foreign policy always seems to be they are good only if the let us rape their country!

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: manowar821
Go Putin! Don't mind the asshole american administration.

maybe you'd like to go live in Russia? i'm just sayin', since you are so disappointed with the way things are in this country.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
"I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straight forward and trustworthy and we had a very good dialogue." - George Bush on Putin.

Oh dubya, is there anything you can't analyze incorrectly?

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: manowar821
Go Putin! Don't mind the asshole american administration.

maybe you'd like to go live in Russia? i'm just sayin', since you are so disappointed with the way things are in this country.

Eh? Wouldn't it be better to fix your own country before running off somewhere else?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Mucho
Originally posted by: FoBoT
yeah, they gotta go with evil part of the time

I guess you were quite happy when Russia was melting down and billions of rubbles were been stolen and shipped out to the west and Israel under Boris Yeltsin's rule. Putin is good for Russia he is not an American stooge. American's foreign policy always seems to be they are good only if the let us rape their country!

But is he good for Russians?
Not from what I've read.