Times have changed..

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
No way could anyone get away with making movies like this today..

Is that a good thing? Or Bad? After all, it's just pretend.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Some great scenes in that video. But I wish the maker of the video would of listed the films he showed, they look very interesting would love to see some of them. Wonder if any of them ever come up on TMC.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Some great scenes in that video. But I wish the maker of the video would of listed the films he showed, they look very interesting would love to see some of them. Wonder if any of them ever come up on TMC.

The films are listed in the video as they show the clip first clip from the show. For the most part they are showing 2-3 clips from the same movie in a row.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

What do you think they could not get away with today? Some of the concepts of the movies (the concept of savage - although you still see that sometimes in sci-fi) don't play well today because we don't buy into those concepts, but most everything else can, and is, still done in films today.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
The films are listed in the video as they show the clip first clip from the show. For the most part they are showing 2-3 clips from the same movie in a row.

yea I was looking for something in the text below where I could cut and paste as I am lazy. But I'll just watch and write them down, thanks.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's being punished for being bad as a child that creates the repression that makes these emotions exciting. The two poles of this, the liberal and the conservative create the need to indulge in expressing those feelings and over against those who want to keep them repressed. A third reaction, one in which the repression does not or no longer exists, could give a shit about any of it.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
What do you think they could not get away with today? Some of the concepts of the movies (the concept of savage - although you still see that sometimes in sci-fi) don't play well today because we don't buy into those concepts, but most everything else can, and is, still done in films today.

Any modern movie with a scene where a man suggested he beat a woman before breakfast, and have her giggle about it, would be picketed before the trailers got any play. When was the last time you saw a movie with a scene, where man slapped a hysterical woman to get or head straight? One scene that would play quite wee today: Where the guy cuts on the couple dancing, and starts dancing with the guy. 1553273872907.jpeg

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Any modern movie with a scene where a man suggested he beat a woman before breakfast, and have her giggle about it, would be picketed before the tarilers got any play. When was the last time you saw a movie with a scene, where man slapped a hysterical woman to get or head straight?

Violence in movies, even against women, is not uncommon. The entire 50 shades series comes to mind, especially since what the movies you are talking about are referencing is BDSM.
But for the most part you are right about the slapping women to clam them down, it is just not really a cultural thing anymore. You would not do it in real life, so characters don't do it in movies. I would point out that it is still used for comedic effect every now and then, Big Trouble in Little China has Kurt Russell slap Kim Cattrall to calm her down.

Mar 11, 2004
Violence in movies, even against women, is not uncommon. The entire 50 shades series comes to mind, especially since what the movies you are talking about are referencing is BDSM.
But for the most part you are right about the slapping women to clam them down, it is just not really a cultural thing anymore. You would not do it in real life, so characters don't do it in movies. I would point out that it is still used for comedic effect every now and then, Big Trouble in Little China has Kurt Russell slap Kim Cattrall to calm her down.

The 50 Shades thing isn't really the same though (and its popularity is actually from wider acceptance of female sexuality and them experimenting with sexuality). Were those older movies actually referencing BDSM? Because the clips I saw (didn't watch the whole thing) seemed more general domestic subservience stuff and was not really about the same gratification that BDSM is about.

And Kurt Russell's character was meant to be a ridiculous over the top caricature of the macho white male hero who was in fact a bumbling jackass. They were poking fun at those tropes often. Actually, when did that happen? Was it in a deleted scene because I just looked through and can't find him slapping her to calm her down (but perhaps it was edited out for that reason)? He hits on her and then kisses her somewhat against her will (it really isn't like that forceful, and she isn't that mad and then kinda goes "ok" when he says "sorry, just happy to be alive!" after she was looking for him in the tunnel full of water; she also later kisses him willingly and then even takes the time to wipe her lipstick off his face to make him not look ridiculous).

Plus, that movie is 33 years old, so I don't think it really counts as "today" and a good representation of contemporary movies.

I actually agree though, I don't see anything there that really isn't done in movies today (hell the "ignorant savage" is still done, but now its more like backwood hillbilly rednecks and stuff that are represented that way, so its not quite the same thing). But, to support your point, there's been quite a bit of pretty graphic rapes and similar violence on women in movies. Its meant to be shocking. Hell, in Derailed, the rape turned out to be a scam so its not even always for sympathy really (and Gone Girl was a similar situation where the woman turned out to be the most awful, faking a murder, killing her one friend to protect the story). And there's been other visceral violent scenes with women. Mad Max Fury Road had mostly pretty blunt (like bullet to the head) violence to women (so not for graphic realism, although it hinted at pretty awful behavior).

Slightly more recent man slapping a woman was in True Lies when the one guy slaps Tia Carrere after her meeting with Ah-Nuld (not at the dance, but later when he meets with her at her place where he was looking to buy art from her). But that was meant to portray him as the villain. But I'm fairly certain its happened (although absolutely its usually done for either comedic affect or to highlight the villain being bad).

Reactions: Viper1j

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The 50 Shades thing isn't really the same though (and its popularity is actually from wider acceptance of female sexuality and them experimenting with sexuality). Were those older movies actually referencing BDSM? Because the clips I saw (didn't watch the whole thing) seemed more general domestic subservience stuff and was not really about the same gratification that BDSM is about.

And Kurt Russell's character was meant to be a ridiculous over the top caricature of the macho white male hero who was in fact a bumbling jackass. They were poking fun at those tropes often. Actually, when did that happen? Was it in a deleted scene because I just looked through and can't find him slapping her to calm her down (but perhaps it was edited out for that reason)? He hits on her and then kisses her somewhat against her will (it really isn't like that forceful, and she isn't that mad and then kinda goes "ok" when he says "sorry, just happy to be alive!" after she was looking for him in the tunnel full of water; she also later kisses him willingly and then even takes the time to wipe her lipstick off his face to make him not look ridiculous).

Plus, that movie is 33 years old, so I don't think it really counts as "today" and a good representation of contemporary movies.

I actually agree though, I don't see anything there that really isn't done in movies today (hell the "ignorant savage" is still done, but now its more like backwood hillbilly rednecks and stuff that are represented that way, so its not quite the same thing). But, to support your point, there's been quite a bit of pretty graphic rapes and similar violence on women in movies. Its meant to be shocking. Hell, in Derailed, the rape turned out to be a scam so its not even always for sympathy really (and Gone Girl was a similar situation where the woman turned out to be the most awful, faking a murder, killing her one friend to protect the story). And there's been other visceral violent scenes with women. Mad Max Fury Road had mostly pretty blunt (like bullet to the head) violence to women (so not for graphic realism, although it hinted at pretty awful behavior).

Slightly more recent man slapping a woman was in True Lies when the one guy slaps Tia Carrere after her meeting with Ah-Nuld (not at the dance, but later when he meets with her at her place where he was looking to buy art from her). But that was meant to portray him as the villain. But I'm fairly certain its happened (although absolutely its usually done for either comedic affect or to highlight the villain being bad).

well, for one thing, abject portrayals of homosexuality were banned, as you see in a series of those clips that would not have been possible for the next several years, because it was decided that Hollywood was getting too "faggy." Can't have that!

...except when it came to war films and Nazis. ...it was pretty common to portray just about any Nazi as a depraved homosexual, and it's a trope that survived a few generations.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

Then you need to watch the rest of it, since it portrays abuse and control of women and making them blame themselves for the bad behavior of the man.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenn...-and-the-antifeminist-critique_b_6630178.html
From the day Christian and Ana meet, he seeks total control over her, from asking her to sign a highly-detailed sex contract (the terms of which are discussed as he plies Ana with alcohol), to deciding which gynecologist she will see (under his supervision, in his home) and what birth control method she will use. He isolates her from her friends and family, going so far as to follow her across the country uninvited when she visits her mother. He warns Ana that he’ll be able to find her no matter where she tries to run, and once they’re married, he has her followed by a security team that reports her every move back to him. Since the story is told in first person point of view, the reader is privy to every moment that Ana fears Christian or his reactions — including during the poorly-executed and unsafe BDSM scenes that leave Ana weeping and confused. Throughout it all, Christian gaslights Ana into believing that his bad behavior is her responsibility, until she comes to the conclusion that her unhappiness is due to her failure to love him enough.

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011

Dont forget to watch the video the guy put out right after this. From Tarzan and his mate you get to see Jane naked, just like it was shown in Saturday matinees in 33.

And most of these could be made today. The interesting thing about them is that if you are used to watching movies from the 40s through the late 60 and you go back in time prior to 34 the themes and subject matter turn into something from the 70s. Like the clip from Three on a Match where coke head mommy jumps out the window with a message in her cloths to save her kidnapped kid.