Timeline leading to the death of Japanese citizen by ISIS

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
1. Haruna Yukawa, a man, declares himself a woman. He proceeds to successfully cut off his penis and two balls.

2. Haruna Yukawa travels to Syria to fight alongside the Free Syrian Army. According to his blog, he likens it to the movies. He's quickly captured.

3. Kenji Goto, the journalist, travels to Syria to free Yukawa. He's free a Japanese captive before, but not from ISIS. Before embraking for Syria, Goto declares the government and people of Japan free of any duty to rescue him should he be captured by ISIS.

4 Goto is promptly held captive by ISIS.

5. Fresh off his December victory Shinzo Abe, the Japanese Prime Minister, rolls into the Middle East, obvlivous to the danger that awaits his compatriots from his prepared speeches.

6. After Abe sounds all the right notes about freedom and fighting terror, pledging $200m in non-military aid to several Mideast governments.

7. ISIS promptly drags out their Japanese captives, demanding $200m for their freedom.

8. Taken aback, Abe does nothing and Yukawa is killed.

9. ISIS demands a female shaheen (suicide bomber) captured in Jordan for Goto.

10. The Japanese public is furious at Goto and Yukawa for causing trouble. Their families have apologized.

Moved from OT

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
11. You make me President.
12. ISIS is nuked.

They deserve it and you know it.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
I'm with you on everything except the penis cut off thing. Source for that?

Not saying I don't believe it could be true, just never heard it before this thread. And I have heard all the rest.

Anyway, yeah, Goto is dead. Japan isn't going to go get him, even if they had the authority to do so. They view him as a disgrace.

Unfortunate. I think Yukawa was fighting for the FSA, so no big loss with him, but Goto was just a nice guy. I'm glad that he's still alive. Who knows, maybe they'll ransom him.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
11. You make me President.
12. ISIS is nuked.

They deserve it and you know it.

lol so basically, we make you president, you nuke iraq and syria and then WWIII breaks out and the world ends?

You should somehow make that into a slogan for your campaign. Jasklas 2016: "Who said living was so great anyway?"

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
lol so basically, we make you president, you nuke iraq and syria and then WWIII breaks out and the world ends?

You should somehow make that into a slogan for your campaign. Jasklas 2016: "Who said living was so great anyway?"

No one would dare end the world over ISIS.

However we'd choose to get rid of them, they stand alone.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I always find it amusing how people think terrorism should be fought.

Just nuke them! Nuke who exactly? ISIS doesn't live in some well defined remote land, they have members all over the globe, some even live in the US. Shall we nuke the US to be sure we get all of them?

Like I've said before several times, you don't fight terrorism with weapons, you fight them with counter propaganda (propaganda comes in many forms, not just funny posters).

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Our enemy is functioning as a rogue state, deriving control and profits from its territory. It needs to lose those geographical assets.

So before we critique and actually consider action, we should know where you stand on even lifting a finger. Because that gives us a lot of context on such commentary.

I for one would vote for a direct assault by US military. That we'd work with the regional governments to facilitate their resumed control of their land. Eliminate ISIS, and then return home. It takes a military campaign to turn that map yellow.

It could be as simple as establishing control over the roads and travel in the infected region. Cut off movement and let the local government take action. As long as militia forces from ISIS cannot group for assaults - they would be mostly powerless and at the mercy of Iraq and Syria.

The map is old, they've been pushed back a little in Iraq, but doubled their area in Syria.

ISIS-Map-Iraq-Syria.jpg

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Anyone who decides to work in The Middle East should sign a waiver stating...

If anything goes wrong you are liable for yourself. Other countries can't come to your rescue. You are on your own.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Our enemy is functioning as a rogue state, deriving control and profits from its territory. It needs to lose those geographical assets.

So before we critique and actually consider action, we should know where you stand on even lifting a finger. Because that gives us a lot of context on such commentary.

I for one would vote for a direct assault by US military. That we'd work with the regional governments to facilitate their resumed control of their land. Eliminate ISIS, and then return home. It takes a military campaign to turn that map yellow.

It could be as simple as establishing control over the roads and travel in the infected region. Cut off movement and let the local government take action. As long as militia forces from ISIS cannot group for assaults - they would be mostly powerless and at the mercy of Iraq and Syria.

The map is old, they've been pushed back a little in Iraq, but doubled their area in Syria.

So go the Soviet route with Afghanistan. You should watch the 1962 movie "Lawrence of Arabia", which while not being entirely historically accurate is entertaining. It is also educational when you watch how the natives interacted. Perhaps camels aren't the thing, and AKs replace swords, but the culture of war has not changed much. ISIS isn't new, it's terribly traditional. That's the cats you'll be herding, the grains of sands slipping through your fingers. You'll see people with your thinking, the Brits, who could always keep them as they were, but never able to control the people. Dirty wogs is all they were and are. It's a quite good movie.

LevelSea

Jan 29, 2013
So go the Soviet route with Afghanistan. You should watch the 1962 movie "Lawrence of Arabia", which while not being entirely historically accurate is entertaining. It is also educational when you watch how the natives interacted. Perhaps camels aren't the thing, and AKs replace swords, but the culture of war has not changed much. ISIS isn't new, it's terribly traditional. That's the cats you'll be herding, the grains of sands slipping through your fingers. You'll see people with your thinking, the Brits, who could always keep them as they were, but never able to control the people. Dirty wogs is all they were and are. It's a quite good movie.
Sherif Ali, so long as the Arabs fight tribe against tribe, so long will they be a little people, a silly people, greedy, barbarous, and cruel, as you are.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So go the Soviet route with Afghanistan. You should watch the 1962 movie "Lawrence of Arabia".

We do owe Iraq for our role in the creation of ISIS by our 2003 invasion.

But... by referencing that movie you seem to be telling me the Sunni area of Iraq is another tribe. That they simply aren't going to be returning to the fold. That they are ISIS now and forever, and we shouldn't meddle in what cannot be won.

I would see us fight to restore Iraq from ISIS. You are telling me that's folly?

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
We do owe Iraq for our role in the creation of ISIS by our 2003 invasion.

But... by referencing that movie you seem to be telling me the Sunni area of Iraq is another tribe. That they simply aren't going to be returning to the fold. That they are ISIS now and forever, and we shouldn't meddle in what cannot be won.

I would see us fight to restore Iraq from ISIS. You are telling me that's folly?

Yup, not worth or time of effort to have troops on the ground. Continue the air fight via drones.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
ISIS is a direct result of US intervention in 2003. Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi was an inmate at camp Bucca in Iraq for a couple years at least. Before his detention, he was supposedly a religious scholar in Iraq who lived in a tiny room in a mosque for over a decade.

Quite an interesting man IMO.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I'm with you on everything except the penis cut off thing. Source for that?

Not saying I don't believe it could be true, just never heard it before this thread. And I have heard all the rest.

Anyway, yeah, Goto is dead. Japan isn't going to go get him, even if they had the authority to do so. They view him as a disgrace.

Unfortunate. I think Yukawa was fighting for the FSA, so no big loss with him, but Goto was just a nice guy. I'm glad that he's still alive. Who knows, maybe they'll ransom him.

This is the only English language source I could find:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-20/who-are-the-japanese-hostages-held-by-islamic-state/6029734

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I always find it amusing how people think terrorism should be fought.

Just nuke them! Nuke who exactly? ISIS doesn't live in some well defined remote land, they have members all over the globe, some even live in the US. Shall we nuke the US to be sure we get all of them?

Like I've said before several times, you don't fight terrorism with weapons, you fight them with counter propaganda (propaganda comes in many forms, not just funny posters).

Syria and West Iraq ATM, I'll run for Veep and push the second button if needed.

Irrelevant, as things are I guess.