Time Warner called today... they dropped their rates?

tgillitzr

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
This seems odd...

Today I get a call from someone claiming they are from TimeWarner. She didn't ask me for any important info, but said that they were dropping their rates from the current 109 that I was paying for RoadRunner plus Digital Cable to 79. Anyone else have this happen?

Seems odd they would call and volunteer to make 30 dollars less a month when I have no other choice for cable TV...

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Actually you probably could have been paying this price for a very long time... if you knew how their pricing worked. They probably were forced to call and tell you by some local group. Usually they just let you find out on your own and don't say anything. ;)
Example:
I'm paying $45/month for "Roadrunner enhanced standard cable"
I have DirecTV for my TV. Several weeks ago I hooked up a TV to the cable just to see what happened... oh look I have 72 channels AKA their basic + standard cable service. RR + 72 channels for $45/month.
Now if I wanted to drop directv and go with digital cable I could get the "Digital Premium Package" for $41.95 more - that includes the digital package plus 5 premium services... aka all their digital channels.
Total - $86.95. Pretty close to that $79. ;)

Once my 1 year contract w/directv runs out I may consider this since it would save me some money every month.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
They want you to go on to digital because it is cheaper for them. But once you go digital, they won't let you go back to analog. Any new subscribers to TWC have to take digital now which sucks for me because I have a PiP TV with 2 tuners and using digital, the PiP will not work unless I have 2 convertor boxes.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Does this mean I can switch to RR digital and not have to pay more? :D

BTW, a couple of questions: How do I know I'm not already on digital and do I even want to switch/what are the benfits of switching?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Does the digital cable service still have that annoying delay when changing channels?

matsuhisa

Aug 14, 2002
i pay about $85 for time warner cable and rr, so they prolly just lowered their cost and didn't want to lose you as a customer.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
I pay about $75 just for cable for TW. 15 of it is like taxes and fees though.

tgillitzr

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
They want you to go on to digital because it is cheaper for them. But once you go digital, they won't let you go back to analog. Any new subscribers to TWC have to take digital now which sucks for me because I have a PiP TV with 2 tuners and using digital, the PiP will not work unless I have 2 convertor boxes.

I was already using digital.

BTW, I have the same problem. If you put a splitter before the cable box you can use PIP for the standard cable channels.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: kranky
Does the digital cable service still have that annoying delay when changing channels?

no, that's one thing I dearly miss about time warner (in ohio). Now that I'm on ATT digital cable in chicago the delay infuriates me. Whoever designed this system is a friggin retard. On time warner switching channels was instant.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: tgillitzr

BTW, I have the same problem. If you put a splitter before the cable box you can use PIP for the standard cable channels.

Really? I thought the signal was purely digital.

tgillitzr

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Originally posted by: tgillitzr

Really? I thought the signal was purely digital.

Nope, you can get basic cable on the input side of the box. Thats why you are able to hook up other TV's in the house without needing a box and getting basic cable on them. Though, I agree, another box would be nice.