Time Travel is possible and done regularly

Mrpilot007

Jan 5, 2003
So I just finished reading In Search of Schrodinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality by John Gribbin. Such a great read for those intrigued with the "Highly Technical". So I was thinking about the theory of time travel and how time travel into the future was explained to be not possible due to the infinite number of possible outcomes. If one were to travel into the future from a specific point in time then it would only be one of many possibilities. However, because the past has already happened it is possible to experience it again.

Reality, perceived by one being, is based on a measure of time. If one experiences a roller coaster, starting the ride at 1pm and ending at 1:05pm, they have experienced a specified activity for a specified length of time. A four dimensional reality is experienced. To experience the past in real time, one would bring a video camera on the ride which would capture the four dimensions needed to experience ones perception of reality. Then one plays the video at a later time and has effectively traveled back in time. Of course actual time has not stopped but both present and past time is experienced simultaniously.

BucsMAN3K

May 14, 2006
Instantaneous travel to the future, no. But using the relativity of time, one can make it so the passage of time in the environment around them is much faster than the passage of time of that of the observer and whatever is keeping in motion with him...Basically this is done with noticable effects at speed near the speed of light.

So if you Tivoed the History channel for a thousand years, traveled at a speed very near the speed of light, and then stopped and watched what you Tivoed, you have travaled to the future in a few days, and then get to spend the next few years watching how I extended my life a thousand years and ruled the world.

sourshishke

Mar 11, 2006
When you look at the stars ,you are looking at the past.And if you listen to static on the radio it is the past

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sourshishke
When you look at the stars ,you are looking at the past.And if you listen to static on the radio it is the past

When I look at my monitor reading your post, I'm looking at the past, only a very recent one ;)

sourshishke

Mar 11, 2006

When I look at my monitor reading your post, I'm looking at the past, only a very recent one ;)[/quote]

HAHA yes but yr monitor is not millions and millions years into the past like the stars.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
uh seeing or smelling or hearing or touching or tasting something from the past is not the same as travelling through time.

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Mrpilot007
So I just finished reading In Search of Schrodinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality by John Gribbin. Such a great read for those intrigued with the "Highly Technical". So I was thinking about the theory of time travel and how time travel into the future was explained to be not possible due to the infinite number of possible outcomes. If one were to travel into the future from a specific point in time then it would only be one of many possibilities. However, because the past has already happened it is possible to experience it again.

Reality, perceived by one being, is based on a measure of time. If one experiences a roller coaster, starting the ride at 1pm and ending at 1:05pm, they have experienced a specified activity for a specified length of time. A four dimensional reality is experienced. To experience the past in real time, one would bring a video camera on the ride which would capture the four dimensions needed to experience ones perception of reality. Then one plays the video at a later time and has effectively traveled back in time. Of course actual time has not stopped but both present and past time is experienced simultaniously.

That is saying that the record of a moment is essentially the same as the moment itself... using that logic, my camera can steal your soul.

sourshishke

Mar 11, 2006
Originally posted by: randay
uh seeing or smelling or hearing or touching or tasting something from the past is not the same as travelling through time.

What do you mean?The farthest light we can see took something like 13.6 BILLION light years to get here,did the light particle not travel .

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
it travelled, just not time travel. what we see is essentially a 13.6 billion year old picture.

BucsMAN3K

May 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Ned Flanders
Slightly offtopic:

If it takes time to travel through space...is it logical to assume it will take space to travel through time?

Hmm, that is an interesting question. Because for all known purposes we always travel through all four dimensions, but is it possible to isolate movement through select dimensions (such as instantaneous travel or time travel without acceleration).

In retrospec, what I'm asking has nothing to do with what I quoted...it just made me think of it.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
From that information no.
Thats basically "If P the Q" therefore "If Q then P" which is a logical non sequitur

"If space creatures were kidnapping people and examining them, the space creatures would probably hypnotically erase the memories of the people they examined. These people would thus suffer from amnesia. But in fact many people do suffer from amnesia. This tends to prove they were kidnapped and examined by space creatures." This is also a Least Plausible Hypothesis explanation.

I used to be better at explaining logic, but that class was 7 years ago. I hope that makes sense. I'm not saying that it does not take space to travel through time, just that that conclusion cannot be reached from the afore mentioned statement

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
"However, because the past has already happened it is possible to experience it again."

How can you be so sure? You assume there is a future and there is a past, and that they do exist. However, there is only constant changing in the environment and in the people in it. Time is a crutch to help us navigate the constantly changing surroundings. What we call "past" is simply a different state of matter. It's quite hard to imagine for matter to take the exact same shape as it had (what we call) yesterday. Let's assume you (or someone else) could re-shape all the matter in existence into one of its former states: it would imply that everything would revert to a previous state thus depriving you from the possibility to perceive the change you made (as you have reverted the matter building up your body as well). If you would be aware of the revert state (see the past with your own eyes, e.g. experiencing the JFK's assassination first hand) then you weren't succesfull at all, because the matter you are consisting of would be in a state different from what it really was when that previous state you aimed to "bring back" occured.

Interestingly enough traveling at close to the speed of light and then coming back would give the exact same (personal) experience (as if the time in the world had "flown by") as frozing a body and then defrosting it later (assuming it survived the process ofc). What I'm trying to grasp here is the stillness of matter vs. high speed moving. It seems that stillness won't grant you the opposite of what you experience when you travel at a very high speed. Of course my example for stillness is not really that fascinating because the frozen body wouldn't be really still cause it would be lying in a chamber on the surface of the Earth which orbits the Sun, the Solar System orbits the galaxy core along with billions of stars and heck knows what the Milky Way orbits if anything at all, but it's surely moving compared to other space structures. So "perfect stillness" seems to be out of reach.

Anyway, what is important is the first section of my uncalled wise-assing regarding the impossibly sounding revert event you have described.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Mrpilot007

Watching a video recording of something that has already taken place is not traveling through time, it's watching a video.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: BucsMAN3K
Slightly offtopic:

If it takes time to travel through space...is it logical to assume it will take space to travel through time?

Hmm, that is an interesting question. Because for all known purposes we always travel through all four dimensions, but is it possible to isolate movement through select dimensions (such as instantaneous travel or time travel without acceleration).

In retrospec, what I'm asking has nothing to do with what I quoted...it just made me think of it.

When moving through space we are also moving through time. If we are still, all of our movement is through the time dimension. As we move through space some of our time movement is diverted into movement through space, so we move slower through space.

As an analogy, say you are running from one end of the football field to the other repeatedly and measuring your time (sprint training, for example). If you were turn slightly and run at an angle to the sideline, some of your movement along the field will be diverted to run across the field and therefore your speed along the field will decrease. The same thing happens with your movement in the time dimension as you travel through space.

This is why time and space are intrinsically linked.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
I shall post something obvious too.

We are constantly living in the past. By the time you realize something, its long past.

TK2K

Jun 25, 2006
Slightly offtopic:

no, its not at all! thats like saying since you need a spoon to eat oatmeal you need oatmeal to use a spoon