Time to write in Ron Paul

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I do have to give Paul props for pulling off the cult of personality thing and collecting millions off of a bunch of suckers.

All you guys did was fund his neocon whackjob Ayn Rand cultist son and lowered your credibility by excusing Ron Pauls racism like a bunch of lovestruck schoolgirls.

So desperate for a savior you guys fall for anything.

lol

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
That's part of why they only ever get 5%...

Well that and the ideology is so amazingly naive/pseudo-religious anyone with half a braincell left to use critical thinking goes into hysterical laughter at the notion of some hand wavy free market that can regulate itself.

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
It's like there is a kid a this room desperately looking for attention from all the other adults.

Anyways......being that I live in Ca I voted for Gary. Had I lived in a battleground state I would've voted for Romney just on the one single principle that failure (aka Obama's presidency) in a important government elected position such as the POTUS should never be rewarded with a second chance.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
lol @ people harping on Ron Paul for liking gold. You guys are silly. If Gold doesn't matter why is Germany all up in arms about their 1600 tons of it sitting here in the USA? Their currency isn't backed by it, so why care? Because it's worth a shit load and we all know it. Do you know what politicians want to do with our Governments gold? They want to sell it to do things, but if it isn't worth anything why do that? Oh because it is. You know who else likes gold? China, they're currently buying up gold mines and gold shares, also currently buying oil from Iran in gold. So all of you out there laughing about the gold standard, when our currency collapses due to other major economic players deciding to at least somewhat back their currency in the stuff you won't be laughing.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/name-...china-imports-more-gold-2012-all-ecb-holdings

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I've never really understood the whole gold thing myself, I mean yea, ok, shiiiiny, but it's only worth something because a long time ago people thought it would be good to back currency with. If the shit hits the fan I'll take all the gold I want with my brass, copper and lead

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I've never really understood the whole gold thing myself, I mean yea, ok, shiiiiny, but it's only worth something because a long time ago people thought it would be good to back currency with. If the shit hits the fan I'll take all the gold I want with my brass, copper and lead

I'm not big on gold being insanely valuable either, but it is so whatevs. IMO Aluminum is more valuable and at one point in history it was.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I don't believe in the Apocalypse(END of World) I believe there will be a tribulation and a new religion that has evil as its head and the religion will be much like islam in that if a country is not a collective of the same faith none can enter heaven . Pretty much what revelations says

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I don't believe in the Apocalypse(END of World) I believe there will be a tribulation and a new religion that has evil as its head and the religion will be much like islam in that if a country is not a collective of the same faith none can enter heaven . Pretty much what revelations says

I'll be wearing the blue turban and cracking the whip dogs

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Well that and the ideology is so amazingly naive/pseudo-religious anyone with half a braincell left to use critical thinking goes into hysterical laughter at the notion of some hand wavy free market that can regulate itself.

You may be right, but one will never know without giving it a shot.

Easy enough to just say: "That will never work." and then never try it, but keep saying it will never work enough times that you accept it as fact.

What I do know is that all the shit our country is currently doing for the economy isn't working, and that can be proven by the long history of data to back it up.

So, if our current system is broken and proven not to work, and you believe the libertarian view is pseudo-religious and would never work, what would work then?

I am asking, because I believe you are most likely infinitely smarter about economic issues than I am, and I know I obviously do not know how to fix the economy, because my solution would involve, "don't spend fucking money you don't have."

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
it's only obvious that republicans can't find someone worth voting for... So yeah... I'd vote third party as well if I were a republican.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
I am asking, because I believe you are most likely infinitely smarter about economic issues than I am, and I know I obviously do not know how to fix the economy, because my solution would involve, "don't spend fucking money you don't have."

Why not a reasoned debate about when this country worked and we had a strong middle class?

Labor and management are not opposed to one another, they need each other for all to be successful.

Problem is the whole framing is one sided since the 80s especially.

I have no clue why this is so controversial to some. Well, besides the obvious; endless corporate PR doublespeak from the media monopolies.

Last edited:

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Why not a reasoned debate about when this country worked and we had a strong middle class?

Labor and management are not opposed to one another, they need each other for all to be successful.

Problem is the whole framing is one sided since the 80s especially.

I have no clue why this is so controversial to some. Well, besides the obvious; endless corporate PR doublespeak from the media monopolies.

I don't see anything here that I disagree with, so you must be lieing to me about something, or not answering what I asked... I am not quite sure which.

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012

Yes, just as amazingly naive/pseudo-religious as your belief that you can give someone monopolistic regulatory power, as governments have, and somehow they won't abuse that power and become corrupt.

Any regulatory agency you create can just as easily be captured by the very same people you planned to regulate against. Those of your ilk, in the Government Worship Cult, can't seem to figure this out, though.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Yes, just as amazingly naive/pseudo-religious as your belief that you can give someone monopolistic regulatory power, as governments have, and somehow they won't abuse that power and become corrupt.

Government works as good as the people keeping an eye on it.

In other words, very badly nowadays. But then this is the agenda of corporate propaganda.

Once people distrust the very mechanism they set up to protect the little guy from vast monied interests you can then swoop in and clean the place out.

There is a word for this: A Banana Republic -the be all end all goal of neoliberalism

Last edited:

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
While I don't necessarily disagree, you should take the time to watch this.

Falling on Principle

Thanks. Watched it. And interesting. But I still believe that us voting third party are not the ones throwing our votes away. All the so called libertarian democrats and libertarian conservatives, and the Republican party members that state "I would vote third party but then I would be throwing my vote away" are the people that are truly throwing their vote away.

Last edited:

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
This, GJ has all the right wing libertarian naive economics for get rich quick suckers, without the white power klan connections.

Baby steps righties, you gotta start somewhere.

You sound mad. Let's just stick to the status quo... That seems to be working great.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
You sound mad. Let's just stick to the status quo... That seems to be working great.

RP is a Republican, with a few isolationist ideas on foreign policy and whacked out old gold standard conspiracy. Ron Paul is the status quo, in depends.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
RP is a Republican, with a few isolationist ideas on foreign policy and whacked out old gold standard conspiracy. Ron Paul is the status quo, in depends.

He may have ran as a Republican but he most definitely was not status quo.

Btw calling him an isolationist is a fairly uneducated response.

I chuckled at the depends comment though.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Simple repeating the same lies over and over isn't going to make them true.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

You are right, it must be a oversight that he is a member of the status quo GOP, or maybe it was one of his pesky staffers who "wrote it in" when he wasn't looking. Again.

OOPS we all make mistakes huh?

What is Ron Paul about?

The promised land is just over the horizon, send him that mo-ney!

Last edited:

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009

Paul is a Republican, he was just a Paleo conservative which is quite rare. You'd have to go back to Goldwater to remember them when they were more prominent.

Most of them just became libertarians which is why back in the early 80s they grew alot.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
You are right, it must be a oversight that he is a member of the status quo GOP, or maybe it was one of his pesky staffers who "wrote it in" when he wasn't looking. Again.

OOPS we all make mistakes huh?

What is Ron Paul about?

The promised land is just over the horizon, send him that mo-ney!

I love how you keep harping on him scamming money, unlike every other person running his entire campaign was financed threw the grass roots and the fact that he made it to the convention is remarkable.

If he wanted money to pocket he wouldn't give back a serious portion of his congressional pay and would likely take money from the major donors such as Goldman Sachs.

Coming from a communist I know how much he baffles you but it's ok.