Time to upgrade? Audi A4, Acura TSX, Lexus IS250, or others?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: psteng19
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

A4 also comes in AWD.

Doesn't hide the fact that it's still riding on a FWD chassis. Engine is still transverse mounted, well over the front axle.

i haven't looked for the 2.0T, but the 1.8T A4 was actually freakishly longitudinally mounted despite being FWD for some models.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: OS
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

A4 also comes in AWD.

Doesn't hide the fact that it's still riding on a FWD chassis. Engine is still transverse mounted, well over the front axle.

i haven't looked for the 2.0T, but the 1.8T A4 was actually freakishly longitudinally mounted despite being FWD for some models.

Hmm... you might be right.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: iversonyin
Gadget and value: TSX

Handling: A4 and 325

Low end torque and power: G35 sedan

If you own a Mazda 3 before, I think a little more torque will provide most fun out of the driving experience...hence...G35

Or...

Gadgets and value: G35
Handling: G35
Torque and power: G35

And I'm being serious.

What value? I don't know about the new G35, but the old one's interior is a piece of crap.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002

If you own a Mazda 3 before, I think a little more torque will provide most fun out of the driving experience...hence...G35

Or...

And I'm being serious.

What value? I don't know about the new G35, but the old one's interior is a piece of crap.

03 & 04 Interiors were crap. 05 & 06 Interiors were improved but not great. 07 one is great according to people who sat in the cabin at the G35 forums. http://www.infiniti.com/g_sedan/key_features/interior.html

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000

Or...

And I'm being serious.

G35 has always been praised for best bang for the buck.
Where else can you get a well optioned, reliable, performance oriented sports lux car for $35k?

Lexus IS? Well over $35k, doesn't handle quite as well
Acura TL? Now $38k to get a manual, FWD torque steering beast
BMW? Great performer in the 335 but that's more like $45k, suspect reliability.
328 is closer in price (still gets to high $30's when optioned out), low on power compared to the G35, same reliability liability. And then there's iDrive.

So I ask again, name me a car that's more well rounded than the G35 for the money.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I want to like the TSX. But I'm afraid that the little 2.4L in there just leaves you wanting more grunt after driving even more pedestrian cars like that Camry V6, Accord V6, and Altima V6 that are all in it's price range.

It's a big jump of around $4,000-$5,000 or so to get into a new G35 over the TSX though. That's not a small amount of money.

Not sure if used is an option or not, but the '05 G35's are quite a bargain coming in around the low to mid 20's. The 07's have really pushed the prices down on the 1st gens.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Originally posted by: Aimster
New G35 > All those

I see soo many G35s on the road now, Im really sick of that car.

And if you can get over the interior, look at the new BMW 335i coupe, it might be a little bit on the expensive side though. It's faster than all of the above.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Pic

My wife and I own an IS250. It's a bit on the small side in rear seat and trunk space but it is a very sporty car and fun to drive. The brakes are excellent and handling is quite good. I kind of wish we bought the IS350 but overall we're very happy with this car. I think I'd prefer it if this car were a 6spd manual but the 6spd automatic is very very good.

The interior is top notch, very luxurious and comfortable. You do get a bit of road noise from the 18" low profile tires but it's not too bad. I don't expect we'll get more than 20k out of the high performance tires before we have to replace them.

I love the styling of the car also. Personally, I think it looks better than anything else in this class. The new Infiniti G35 sedan does look quite nice though...much improved over the last generation sedan. I'd probably choose that over the IS just because it is a bigger car.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I agree with most ppl here G35 is best car especially for the money, but I cringe at the design. *shudder*

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Where else can you get a well optioned, reliable, performance oriented sports lux car for $35k?

328 is closer in price (still gets to high $30's when optioned out), low on power compared to the G35, same reliability liability. And then there's iDrive.

So I ask again, name me a car that's more well rounded than the G35 for the money.

I've extensively driven the current TL, it doesn't torque steer in any noticeable amount even when hard on the throttle. You only really see the FWD work against you if you try to throttle in a turn.

Originally posted by: vi_edit
I want to like the TSX. But I'm afraid that the little 2.4L in there just leaves you wanting more grunt after driving even more pedestrian cars like that Camry V6, Accord V6, and Altima V6 that are all in it's price range.

It's a big jump of around $4,000-$5,000 or so to get into a new G35 over the TSX though. That's not a small amount of money.

Not sure if used is an option or not, but the '05 G35's are quite a bargain coming in around the low to mid 20's. The 07's have really pushed the prices down on the 1st gens.

The TSX motor is not really down on power/torque compared against the IS250 or 325i. No one ever knocks BMW for making base cars with no balls.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
For the 4000th time...the TSX is a chick car. Unless OP is a chick or plans on turning in his man card then don't buy it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The TSX motor is not really down on power/torque compared against the IS250 or 325i. No one ever knocks BMW for making base cars with no balls.

The base cars are for women and suits who care about image, not performance. :)

I don't think you can even get the 325 any more. I think the 328 is the new base. It puts out around 200 ft/lbs @ 2400 RPM. The TSX is 164 @ 4000. Weights are similar. The butt dyno will favor the Bimmer.

I'm biased though. I like a flat, beefy power band. Not one that climbs like a rocket and dies off. But that's a horse that's been beaten and shipped off to the dog food factory.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
It's a tough decision isn?t it? I kicked tires for over 6 months before I finally decided on an 04 TL 6-speed. I'm happy I did but since then the bar has been raised and deciding has gotten harder. Today I might go with a Fit if it had a little more power.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004

Or...

And I'm being serious.

I, for once, don't care about horsepower. I prefer the BMW I6 engine over the G35 V6 (exhaust note sound sweet, not as smooth revving as BMW). Yes a 328i would set you $2-3k over the G35, but what about European delivery and 50000 miles free maintenance?! The free maintenance would make up the price difference. So for me, its the BMW. (like I said, I don't know about the new G35, but the old one's interior is not worth $33k for me- too plasticky)

And if i want torque and horsepower... Detriot is desparately offering few alternatives with luxury interior.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: vi_edit

The base cars are for women and suits who care about image, not performance. :)

I don't think you can even get the 325 any more. I think the 328 is the new base. It puts out around 200 ft/lbs @ 2400 RPM. The TSX is 164 @ 4000. Weights are similar. The butt dyno will favor the Bimmer.

I'm biased though. I like a flat, beefy power band. Not one that climbs like a rocket and dies off. But that's a horse that's been beaten and shipped off to the dog food factory.

the 325i is still available as a 2006 model

ed, btw 328i money is TL, G35 range

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Heard the G35 has a cheap interior compared to Lexus or BMW? We test drove the new BMW 328i's (E90), and we're going to test drive the Lexus IS350. We're looking for a sports sedan under $40k. :) The IS350 is a BEAST, while BMW has great feedback... we'll see. :)

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
TSX, hands down, unless you want a lot of power. The TSX is quick and nimble, but it's not fast by any measure. However, it is a lot of a fun to drive, and a classy car inside and out.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
I, for once, don't care about horsepower. I prefer the BMW I6 engine over the G35 V6 (exhaust note sound sweet, not as smooth revving as BMW). Yes a 328i would set you $2-3k over the G35, but what about European delivery and 50000 miles free maintenance?! The free maintenance would make up the price difference. So for me, its the BMW. (like I said, I don't know about the new G35, but the old one's interior is not worth $33k for me- too plasticky)

And if i want torque and horsepower... Detriot is desparately offering few alternatives with luxury interior.

OK, so you prefer the BMW, I can live with that, but I don't think you can deny that the G35 gives you the most bang for your buck.

And you should check out the new interior, it's much improved. Not saying it's class leading, but definitely much more competitive now.

Meh, the 328 comparably equipped is still a bit more money than the G35. Not many people actually have the time to do ED. Plus you have to deal with iDrive and reliability is still suspect on German cars.
Free maintenance is nice but you have to read the fine print. You're only allotted x amount of repairs/maintenance each year (e.g. 4 oil changes a year).
On top of all this, you actually have to like the styling, I'm not particularly fond of, esp. the sedan tail lights.
If you can get past all this, BMW's are a great lease but not as good a buy.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Legacy GT Spec B
the accord V6 MT is faster, cheaper, and significantly more luxurious. yes, i've driven both. actually, out of the list in the OP, the accord V6 MT is faster, cheaper, and roughly equal in luxury to all of those cars. you can get one for $25K pretty easily.
Crack is bad... mmm'kay?

While the Honda might be a touch cheaper (I would advise getting the GT Limited as opposed to the Spec B), every car magazine out there says the Subaru is a half second faster both to 60 mph and through the quarter-mile, and IMO to describe either of these as "luxurious" is simply ridiculous. Nice cars, yes. Luxury, no.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
the long term test drive review (imo, the only kind that matters) at edmunds of the bmw 3-series is absolutely glowing. makes me wanna try one how. however, i cant get over the fact that they are arms and legs more expensive than the competition. you can get an alternative car PLUS a motorcycle, or a go-kart, or a beater utlitity truck for the same money. as far as thats concerned, id never buy any of these vehicles new either

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Hyundai Azera

It drives as well as most of the usual suspects but is much cheaper. A great, reliable bang/buck that most pro/amateur reviewers are raving about.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: LS20
the long term test drive review (imo, the only kind that matters) at edmunds of the bmw 3-series is absolutely glowing. makes me wanna try one how. however, i cant get over the fact that they are arms and legs more expensive than the competition. you can get an alternative car PLUS a motorcycle, or a go-kart, or a beater utlitity truck for the same money. as far as thats concerned, id never buy any of these vehicles new either

Everything comes with a price. :)