"Time to Stop ISIS"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
We need to stop this cancer in the middle east and we should stick a military base in Iraq. They are creating a terrorist state FFS!

By "we", I hope you are speaking of yourself, your wife and your children. I don't want to see another round of American teenagers and young adults slaughtered on the alter of neocon chickenhawk fearmongering. I would hate to see American soldiers sent into another meat grinder with an end result which is even worse than what there is now. I am very glad that Obama is president, I have to wonder how many thousands of young Americans would be dead if Romney had been elected.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Bothers me the media is trying so very hard to make people believe ISIS is around every corner. In every neighborhood. Watching every house.
Just still another reason to fear everything, and buy a gun.

Please note, Halloween trick or treat is coming up in a little over 60 days.
When your doorbell rights, that little goblin or fairy princess at your door is NOT ISIS.
So no need to shoot her.
Despite what Matt Lauer may lead you to believe.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Bothers me the media is trying so very hard to make people believe ISIS is around every corner. In every neighborhood. Watching every house.

When your doorbell rights, that little goblin or fairy princess at your door is NOT ISIS.
So no need to shoot her.

One year ago they had us ready to lock and load to go against the secular government in Syria which is currently at war with ISIS. They had us topple the secular regime in Iraq to replace it with it shiite government that is in bed with Iran. Kill ISIS and another bogeyman will replace them that is somehow even worse. I no longer buy all of the bullshit trying to suck America into another killing field. Let the people of the region fight for and earn the kind of government they want without America fucking it up for them.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
We probably should have just built a large air base up there in the Northern Kurdish area below Turkey and pulled out of Bagdad earlier and watched what happened afterwards with most the money we've spent there.

Kinda like a Middle Eastern Ramstein air base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramstein_Air_Base

Just me I guess.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

So no need to shoot her.

Has a familiar smell doesn't it. I remember the last time the media decided that we should go all in. No Phil Donahue show to cancel this time.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Just read it out loud to yourself. Yeah maybe I should make better paragraphs and such. But it is all true and Richard Pearle should be held for crimes against humanity against Americans and muslims and jews.

I can't make any sense out of what you're saying either. None of it is connected. Are you using google translate or something along those lines?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
One year ago they had us ready to lock and load to go against the secular government in Syria which is currently at war with ISIS. They had us topple the secular regime in Iraq to replace it with it shiite government that is in bed with Iran. Kill ISIS and another bogeyman will replace them that is somehow even worse. I no longer buy all of the bullshit trying to suck America into another killing field. Let the people of the region fight for and earn the kind of government they want without America fucking it up for them.

FYI, all indications point to Assad giving tacit support to ISIS. They are a useful additional front against the rebels he is fighting, as well as a bulwark against the West toppling him.

EG. knock off Assad, we stand to inherit Isis. Work with Assad, and we eliminate the worst bad option. Assad had been buying the oil they have seized, his forces are not actively engaged against Isis.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
ISIS is a bunch of chicken shits. If they really believed in the righteousness of their cause they wouldn't run around masked all the time.

Nov 25, 2013
ISIS is a bunch of chicken shits. If they really believed in the righteousness of their cause they wouldn't run around masked all the time.

yeah, guys who have been fighting a brutal, no holds barred, war for the past few years like these guys have been are "chickens".

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Did you get the fighting in a brutal war for years part?

ISIS can be called a lot of things, abhorrent comes to mind, but chicken is *not* one of them.

I'm sorry but if you don't have the moral courage to have your face identified with your cause you're a chickenshit. I didn't call them cowards, but they are basically acting like common criminals under the guise of religion.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
FYI, all indications point to Assad giving tacit support to ISIS. They are a useful additional front against the rebels he is fighting, as well as a bulwark against the West toppling him.

Really?! LOL! ISIS are the rebels he is fighting! Jesus H Christ! The rebels you all wanted us to arm not 1 year ago.

Extremist fighters from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria seized a military base in northern Syria on Sunday from forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad, further solidifying control inside their self-declared Islamic state spanning the Syria-Iraq border.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/w...-base-from-syrian-government-forces.html?_r=0

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We don't have much of a Military to deploy. So don't expect much troops to be sent there. With some air support and some special forces on the ground to help the Iraqi troops coordinate their efforts they might have better effect at repelling this invasion. The big problem is this is more of a regional war. A lot of these countries like Iran and Syria don't cooperate with each other that well.

All of this points to a need for a larger military force.

Air power will never be enough. Terrorists are like cock roaches. When you turn the light on them they all run to hide and don't come back out till you start ignoring the problem.

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

So no need to shoot her.

While I don't think they are around everyone corner, if they continue to grow, they are going to force a confrontation with those that do not share their beliefs. Based on their actions so far, this will be a very bloody and violent fight...

Really not sure what can be done, but letting them grow probably isn't the wisest move for world peace...

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
We should have never gone into Iraq. But we did and now a group of fanatics who kill people who don't convert to their religion are doing just that. What do we do, leave them to their killing? How do we fix what we broke or can we, or do we try? I find it to be a difficult question. It looks for all the world like we are pretty incompetent at doing much of anything right, so maybe we should just let the people die by the hands we helped to create, or in for a penny, in for a pound?

Holy shit Moonie! You did it. You put together a well thought out point and it made sense. Congratulations! And it is a point I can wholeheartedly agree with you.

And to top it off, you didn't say something about CBD.

I hope no one hijacked your account.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm making nothing up. You either aren't getting this information from your news sources or you're intentionally ignoring it.

Foaming at the mouth? Not in the slightest. My word, every time a lefty hears something that makes him uncomfortable, the messenger is 'foaming at the mouth'.

Chicago A Top Terror Target; Ominous Tweet Connects ISIS Threat In City

Senator Inhofe warns of potential terrorist attacks on U.S. soil

FBI, Homeland Security Bulletin Asks Police To Be Aware Of ISIS

Fmr. Homeland Security Adviser: 'Very, Very True' ISIS May Have Crossed Border

But by all means, keep fooling yourself.

It's interesting how obvious politically-directed "news" blurbs to spur on pork projects in local rural communities so easily dupe the simple-minded.

go on, continue reading that as news. For many of you, all it takes is for the "right people" to claim that an issue exists, for you to believe it without question.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
It's interesting how obvious politically-directed "news" blurbs to spur on pork projects in local rural communities so easily dupe the simple-minded.

go on, continue reading that as news. For many of you, all it takes is for the "right people" to claim that an issue exists, for you to believe it without question.

yeah...those people whose severed heads were put on stakes to intimidate the non-believers probably thought no issues existed either...

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Watching Israel and Iran kick the shit out of ISIS might be entertaining. It would be like the western allies and the ussr at the end of ww2 with stop lines and everything.

I wonder about Iran though. When they started assisting the Iraq government with military forces, I thought a professional military would be able to stop Isis without much effort. However, their help didn't seem to stem the tide at all until US air forces stepped in.

When the western world was attacking Libya, I recall modern western forces running out of munitions extremely quickly and basically being useless without US re-supply.

Is the US really the only country capable of utilizing effective, continues air strikes?

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
I wonder about Iran though. When they started assisting the Iraq government with military forces, I thought a professional military would be able to stop Isis without much effort. However, their help didn't seem to stem the tide at all until US air forces stepped in.

When the western world was attacking Libya, I recall modern western forces running out of munitions extremely quickly and basically being useless without US re-supply.

Is the US really the only country capable of utilizing effective, continues air strikes?

Away from their home territory... pretty much. Most other NATO countries have limited heavy lift capability. Russia has some but not a lot. China isn't strong at this either. Russian and Chinese attack aircraft are extremely maintenance intensive relative to NATO aircraft.

Other countries might be able to deliver air strikes but really no one can match American volume (when away from their own fixed airbases.)

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Really?! LOL! ISIS are the rebels he is fighting! Jesus H Christ! The rebels you all wanted us to arm not 1 year ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/w...-base-from-syrian-government-forces.html?_r=0

This is how fucked up the situation is in the ME. Isis is not the same rebel group. They are a third party which Assad has been soft on in order to crush the western favored rebels. Assad has ruthlessly bombed and laid siege to many of the rebel towns, eg Homs, but did not attack Isis. They aid him in fighting the "good" rebels. He could bomb their supply lines and held territory, but instead he buys their looted oil.

They are the poison pill for overthrowing the Assad govt. Not to mention this is part of a wider ethnic war

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I'm sorry but if you don't have the moral courage to have your face identified with your cause you're a chickenshit. I didn't call them cowards, but they are basically acting like common criminals under the guise of religion.

I have to disagree.

Knights wore helmets and masks.

In today's warfare, much of it is won with intelligence. The black mask is protection. It helps further your cause.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Link

Two polls released this week both ask a question that you would hope wouldn't need asking: how many people support the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS)? Unfortunately, in all four countries surveyed, the answer is greater than zero, and by a lot.

Here is a chart of the results of the polls. The first, by ICM Research, asked people in Germany, France, and the UK whether they had a favorable or unfavorable view of ISIS. The second, by the Palestinian Center for Public Opinion, asked Gazans whether they support or oppose ISIS. Here are the results.

Is the results of shifting attitudes within a geographical area; if so, will it translate into allowing their cultures to be destroyed?