Time to build a new machine.

surfnron

Oct 16, 2005
Hi everyone - my first post on this board. I haven't built a new machine in almost 6 years and my current 'puter will not do the large photo files I want to do because I'm maxed out on memory and it's not enough. I edit photos and need to be able to merge 6 or seven large files. I don't play games anymore - not enough hours in the day.
Stability is the most important thing to me. My current machine is just starting to get a little unstable, and that's after 5+ yrs.
I've been researching, and the stuff out today is not even close to what I know -SATA, SLI, Raid - what the???
I'm not trying to build a top of the line machine, but want reasonable speed. I'd like to stay under $1500, but that's not carved in stone.
I guess I need to start with a mobo, psu, case, memory, and video card. I don't need a monitor or speakers, and my keyboard and mouse are fairly new and I am not worried about a sound card.
Would you guys help me out a little?
Thanx,
Ron

Crescent13

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: thekillerjks
Here's my Suggestion's:

Case- Antec P-180
MOBO- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
CPU- AMD X2 3800+
GPU- (Some crossfire card or somthing)
Memory- Corsair ValueSelect
HDD- Western Digital 10,000RPM Raptor would be good for Editing and looking up large files.

As far as the GPU goes get somthing like this: EDIT: Not compatible hold on I will find somthing els

Raptors aren't any better than a seagate 7200.9.

Don't buy ATI Crossfire

I personally like OCZ better than Corsair

I think your motherboard choice is better than mine

EDIT: HOLY CRAP @ THAT VID CARD!!!!!! He has a 1500$ limit for the WHOLE COMPUTER, not just half a graphic card!

Gadzookie

Apr 17, 2005
i cant believe ppl are recomending raptors anymore there not the fastest and someone actullay recomend a ati crossfire !!!!!!!!!!!!

eXx08

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Crescent13
WELCOME TO THE ANANDTECH FORUMS!!!!!

I'll start shopping around for a rig for you and I'll post links to the websites that have them at the lowest prices.

EDIT:

Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Graphic Card

They're not into gaming and do 3D work so just get a lower end Workstation card. I havn't used OCZ ram but heard it was good.

To the OP: Do research on the OCZ and Corair RAM's and pick wich one you think will work best for you.

surfnron

Oct 16, 2005
Thanx guys. This helped some, but I may re-ask the question in more general terms in order to understand why "X" was recommended.
Ron