Time management - girlfriend vs gaming

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 4, 2004
"Games are for children" is fine. "You are wasting your life away" is moronic.

As long as you get your entertainment fix (and are not waking up in a dumpster with a $10 ho), what's the problem? Just don't brag about your CS KDR later on. How you owned the n00bs on the server last night is not a conversation that will ever interest your SO.

Fight back by ridiculing all the silly things she does that 8 out of 10 men agree are a criminal waste of time. You will fight, yell and then realize you both derive joy from different things. No sense in being tools about it.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: DaShen
OP, it is time to choose to play computer games less and to grow up a bit. Seriously, games vs. your SO (this shouldn't even be a hard choice). I am not saying completely get rid of playing computer games, but if your SO wants a little more time together (since you two are moving in I expect that is the case) or she wants you more motivated about life, I don't think it should be an issue.

BTW, how many hours per week do you put in to playing computer games? If it is more than 4-5 hours per week, I would say that that is quite a lot of time to be putting in to playing games and not going out. 4-5 hours is already a lot of time.

I disagree...but that depends on what else he's doing with her, and if he does anything else that is taking up his time. Like people said, if he only uses his little free time to play games, what's the problem?

He's not picking gaming over his SO, he's picking his freedom of choice.

With that said, we don't know the entire story so maybe he isn't actually spending any time with her and the complaints are warranted.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My fiance practically forced me to buy an XBox 360. She rarely plays, but she's never complained when I do. Then again, I probably play a half an hour or so at a time, and then only a few times a week. We do live together.

That said, I do play chess a lot, and she sometimes gets annoyed about that.

In my experience, many women simply don't understand. I think women are brought up to be almost paranoid about the maturity of their men; so many seem to think that men are inherently immature and need to "grow up", and little things like this seem to point to that. I don't agree, but that's been my experience.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Dump her. My fiancee regularly buys me games and even plays a few herself. it is not something you have to grow out of. If she thinks its childish...just dump her for be so closed minded.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Originally posted by: MrsJello
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: kamikaze27
are there women who can appreciate that some guys will play computer games, and play till the cows come home?

I don't know about "till the cows come home", but yes, and some will play with you :D

:heart:

He plays games, we play games together, I play nerdy girly games.... it all works out. :D I've got a few girl friends who are into WoW and everything, too.

I didn't realize how few girls know about games until I was in a class with my fellow future teachers and our TA started asking questions about different kinds of games. "Wow, you mean there are games that you can play online with other people?" I felt really nerdy then. :p
"Nerdy" chicks are so hot to me... :eek:

":wackit:" :p

- M4H

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Okay, f*k it, what is it with the girls that always complain about gaming being childish?

I like to settle into my games, so about 2-3 hour sessions, twice a week. I really dont even play half as much as I used to.

when my girl sees this, she goes from static to ballistic quicker than I can say "I'm just checking mail"

I get this kinda crap:

"games are for children"
"you're wasting your life away"

all the girls I've been with have been like this... am I just unlucky? are there women who can appreciate that some guys will play computer games, and play till the cows come home?

Did you try showing her WoW or some Nintendo Wii games? Girls seem to like those.

Just be careful with the WoW, though... I lost a girlfriend to a WoW addiction once :)

CityShrimp

Dec 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Get her hooked on an MMORPG

Might want to start her off with something simpler, then work ur way into WoW. Maybe I'm underestimating them, but I doubt the average girl could go from "never played any games in my life" straight into "WoW addicted". My ex used to say the same thing, but one time, she saw me play Yahoo! Towers, and really got into it, and now she's willing to try a bunch of other games. :)

And seriously, don't play it when she's over unless it's something you both can play at the same time :/

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: MrsJello
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
are there women who can appreciate that some guys will play computer games, and play till the cows come home?

I don't know about "till the cows come home", but yes, and some will play with you :D

:heart:

He plays games, we play games together, I play nerdy girly games.... it all works out. :D I've got a few girl friends who are into WoW and everything, too.

I didn't realize how few girls know about games until I was in a class with my fellow future teachers and our TA started asking questions about different kinds of games. "Wow, you mean there are games that you can play online with other people?" I felt really nerdy then. :p

:heart: :D

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Play games while she cooks all day. That solves the entire problem.

But you're gonna have to put your foot down. If she doesn't like it tell her it is a deal breaker and she can hit the road.

Now if she comes over for the weekend and you are playing games during your time together then you are essentially telling her "I would rather do this than spend time with you". That's not very respectful.

-edit-
She plays with me and sometimes is reluctant to give up the controller. Plus the DDR pad I got her is allowing her to workout. Just gotta find the right one I guess. ;)

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The solution is obvious. Get rid of your girlfriend and hook up with your hot cousin.

Problem solved.

But seriously, if she is this controlling on such a minor vice now, she will turn into an intractable battle axe some day like my mother is currently with my dad.

oCxTiTaN

May 7, 2004
while not all of my girlfriends have supported me gaming, none of them made it an issue or thought it was stupid. Most have enjoyed watching or even trying to play themselves and none made fun of me for playing them, so yeah, she's just a bitch...

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
It is not only girls but a lot of people in general. I have been told that by girls, people at work, parents, etc. Basically it is just ignorance at the fact that gaming has grew into an all age hobby. Older people or people that have not been exposed to it will always tell you that you are wasting your life away. I once had a co-worker (female) tell me how much of a loser I am and how gaming is such a waste of time and there are better things to do in life. I told her it's funny how she is 31 and not married, and it's time to develop a personality.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
As for me I don't have that problem with my girlfriend, she plays World of Warcraft with me and that solves my problem, although we do bitch at each other when one of us wants to go out and the other wants to play.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
It's funny that you ask this question. You catch a lot of crap for gaming while it is perfectly acceptable for her to expect you to sit on the couch while she watches E! Entertainment or Hollywood Love Story or etc. Reading about celebrity love life > You gaming in her mind because it MATTERS!

Just don't deal with it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DVad3r
I told her it's funny how she is 31 and not married, and it's time to develop a personality.

:thumbsup:

There's nothing wrong with gaming at healthy levels and it doesn't sound like you're being unhealthy in your habit. But yeah... you may want to avoid doing it if she's over for some reason. Me friend's girlfriend was telling me how she was annoyed that my friend was doing stuff like that, so I've seen it a bit indirectly.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
I'm wondering what my current gf will think of this if/when she moves in. She has been made aware that I play games from time to time, and I play about like you do - a few times a week for a few hours at a time. That's not unreasonable at all. If I wasn't playing games I would be watching TV, and I don't see how one is better or worse than the other.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
somehting tells me you need to start hanging up Control Alt delete comics in your house.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
My g/f is hooked on Gears of War! She's picked it up surprisingly well. We're doing co-op on Casual. Lots of fun :)

May 16, 2000
Want me to introduce her to my nephew? People used to tell him that about his EQ playing. By 18 he was bringing in 5-6 figures a month from it and now is a financial powerhouse, business owner, and investor at 20. His girlfriend doesn't seem to mind him playing at all. :cool:

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
I've tried to get all of my past g/fs to play with me. No luck. My past g/f was pretty cool about it though. I simply told her games is what I use for stress relief and to unwind. She kinda understood after that.

Besides.... if you want your girl to enjoy you playing games grab a copy of Rez.
:p