Time management - girlfriend vs gaming

kamikaze27

Jan 2, 2007
Okay, f*k it, what is it with the girls that always complain about gaming being childish?

I like to settle into my games, so about 2-3 hour sessions, twice a week. I really dont even play half as much as I used to.

when my girl sees this, she goes from static to ballistic quicker than I can say "I'm just checking mail"

I get this kinda crap:

"games are for children"
"you're wasting your life away"

all the girls I've been with have been like this... am I just unlucky? are there women who can appreciate that some guys will play computer games, and play till the cows come home?

imported_Ned Flanders

May 11, 2005
By the sounds of it, you're doing it while she is around? That's a bit rude....unless you live with her. But by the sounds of it you don't.

Do it on your own time - everyone is happy.

kamikaze27

Jan 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Ned Flanders
By the sounds of it, you're doing it while she is around? That's a bit rude....unless you live with her. But by the sounds of it you don't.

Do it on your own time - everyone is happy.

She comes over for the week-ends. Yeah, you're right, I dont normally do it. I keep it during the week.

She had mentioned that I should not be playing games anymore, there are more important things in life.

tsk... shes moving in soon.

"wheres my pipe?"

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: kamikaze27
are there women who can appreciate that some guys will play computer games, and play till the cows come home?

I don't know about "till the cows come home", but yes, and some will play with you :D

puffpio

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
Doe she watch television? Does she read a book? Does she read magazines?

Same thing. She i just feeling neglected and lashing out. I'm sure there is a way to word things so that she feels comforted and loved and reaffirmed, while at the same time notifying her that your personal choice of entertainment will not change

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
yeah, my ex was a nightmare with this. Current g/f is OK if I put the TV on for her. Thing is, many women don't actually *do* much, and can't understand that people like us can sit in front of a computer and be entertained all evening, be it web surfing, games or whatever. Tell her it's your hobby and that you need your own time to relax. The *very* first thing I said to my current missus when we got togehter was that I do need a lot of time to myself and made sure she understood it.
If she demands that you constantly entertain her, tell her it's not always your responsibility and that she should find a way of entertaining herself once in a while.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: kamikaze27
Okay, f*k it, what is it with the girls that always complain about gaming being childish?

They're blaming the game, but in reality they see YOU as childish. I don't think they're wrong.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Get a more understanding gf. Most of the girls I have seen don't care. I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore. I am a very casual gamer that hardly ever plays :p

Koing

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: loic2003
yeah, my ex was a nightmare with this. Current g/f is OK if I put the TV on for her. Thing is, many women don't actually *do* much, and can't understand that people like us can sit in front of a computer and be entertained all evening, be it web surfing, games or whatever. Tell her it's your hobby and that you need your own time to relax. The *very* first thing I said to my current missus when we got togehter was that I do need a lot of time to myself and made sure she understood it.
If she demands that you constantly entertain her, tell her it's not always your responsibility and that she should find a way of entertaining herself once in a while.

Quoted from puffpio:
"Doe she watch television? Does she read a book? Does she read magazines?

Same thing. She i just feeling neglected and lashing out. I'm sure there is a way to word things so that she feels comforted and loved and reaffirmed, while at the same time notifying her that your personal choice of entertainment will not change"

I agree with both of you. I've grown up with games, and have always played them as a way to relax. I don't think that's going to change overnight, if at all. TV watching to me is just as childish, and WAYYY too passive for my tastes.

If she's going to move in, take loic2003's advice make sure she understands that gaming is your release, and you won't criticize her hobbies if she doesn't criticize yours.

Feel free to mention, like I do to my wife, that I could be out drinking with the guys, spending money and getting into who-knows-what kind of trouble. Or sitting right at home. :)

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
My Fiancee used to like playing some games with me, she's into racing games like the NFS underground series, we used to spend hours racing each other, I'm sure if she had of been able to figure out a First Person Shooter, she would have played against me in that as well.

Michelle isn't really in to computers or gaming, it's just that she took an interest in what I liked doing rather than spending her time bitching about it like so many other girls used to....

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Here's what happened to me a few weeks ago.

GF comes over just to hang out. Tells me she's feeling ill and wants to go take a nap. (She wasn't "hinting", she really was ill!). I say OK.

She says "What are you going to do?" I say "Play some Oblivion." She goes to lay down.

10 minutes later, she comes back "I can't sleep...what are you doing?" "Uh, playing Oblivion like I said I was going to do."

She says:

STILL? You're still playing? Didn't you kill the Oblivion guy yet?"

And THAT is why women don't understand video games or why we play them. They are wired for "white/left" and we are wired for "black/right". Simple as that.

But we still love them b/c they have half the money and all the nookie.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
I know exactly how you feel Kamikaze. My GF of 3.5yrs used to say the same things when we first started going out. In fact, she almost broke up with me (so she says) because of one incident (Any of you guys play/played Final Fantasy XI the MMORPG? Remember early in the game when you had to sit at your computer and feed the stinkin chocobo once every hour or so.....6-7 times...so 6-7hours straight....just to get a stinkin chocobo license so you can ride them across the world?...yea....) that I played for like 6-7 hours straight.

Anyways, I didn't give in to her complaints, and explained to her that this is what I do for fun, from since forever. She usually watches TV/movies while I play games (lucky for me, she's a huge TV/movie person). And I guess she finally broke down, and is willing to try playing some games with me. So I'm upgrading her laptop so we can play Guild Wars together ;).

natep

Sep 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Get her hooked on an MMORPG

Make sure she has, or can get her one capable PC. My ex used to come over and play City of Heroes on mine all the time. I started almost getting mad at her for playing too many video games, especially when it stops me from doing the same. :p

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Luckily my fiancee enjoys playing some games... mainly mario type stuff on wii and gamecube.

However, if I spend more than 20-30 minutes on the internet at home and my attention is directed away from her...

I never hear the end of it. It gets old real fast.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
My wife understands, and allows me to play. 2 or 3 times a week, I get off the couch at 9 pm while she's watching one of her shows, and I go off to play WOW. Its a hobby, it relaxes me, she's fine with it.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
My gf plays too much WOW. She is so childish for playing so much games :laugh:.

I guess it gives me time to finish up FFXII :)