Time for some more democratic regressive taxation of the poor to give to rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Virginia proposes to eliminate the regressive gas tax, great. But wait, they're going to replace it with an even more regressive increased sales tax rate (from 5 to 5.8 percent) and increased vehicle registration fees. And what, pray tell, do they plan to do with the money? Why, give it to the northern Virginia folks living around the beltway of course, who just happen to be the 3 wealthiest counties in the entire nation (Loudon #1, Fairfax #2, Arlington #3, all with median family incomes over $100k). And wait, there's more! Maryland is considering raising their sales tax from 6 to 7%, this time to support DC beltway residents of Montgomery County with (you guessed it) more road spending and new light rail lines.

So if you're a poor Virginian or Marylander that lives somewhere else in the state aside from the beltway, especially if you don't own a car, I want to personally thank you for helping improve the roads and light rail transportation network in my neck of the woods. Not that I'll actually use the new Silver Line to Dulles airport, but it will certainly will ease congestion that I'd otherwise face in my limo ride there. And I'll be sure to gas up in VA rather than MD. Combine these measures with the 2% increase in payroll taxes across the board to fund billions in corporate pork which primarily benefited wealthy beltway residents, and in all 2013 is turning out to be a pretty good year.

Viriginia sales tax increase

Maryland sales tax increase

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I guess that doesn't make Tennessee too bad. The state will face an additional $400,000,000 in yearly spending thanks to medicare mandates that stem from obamacare. At least in Tennessee the bulk of tax revenue is derived from sales tax so everyone contributes.

And here I wanted to move back to my hometown in Virginia.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I guess that doesn't make Tennessee too bad. The state will face an additional $400,000,000 in yearly spending thanks to medicare mandates that stem from obamacare. At least in Tennessee the bulk of tax revenue is derived from sales tax so everyone contributes.

And here I wanted to move back to my hometown in Virginia.

Well, on the bright side I think CA sales tax rates are now higher than TN, and you guys still don't have an income tax.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
NH - No state income tax and no sales tax...............and were doing just fine.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
So how is a plan proposed by Republican governor Bob McDonnell in Virginia a Democratic regressive tax plan?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Flat percentage tax should never be regarded as a regressive tax.

Just my opinion.

Well it is because if you take 1% from someone who makes millions, they won't even notice it they're affected so little. If you take 1% from someone in the lower echelon, it could cripple them financially.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Well it is because if you take 1% from someone who makes millions, they won't even notice it they're affected so little. If you take 1% from someone in the lower echelon, it could cripple them financially.

The very definition of regressive tax is one in which the rate decreases as income increases. This does not happen with a flat tax rate.

You may personally view it as an "unfair" tax, but it is not regressive.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How is letting a temporary payroll tax cut expire on schedule a tax hike to 'fund corporate pork'?

While I think they should have kept the payroll tax cut in place, it's not accurate to call its natural expiration a tax hike as if it were an affirmative action taken.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So how is a plan proposed by Republican governor Bob McDonnell in Virginia a Democratic regressive tax plan?

Sorry, title should have been a lower case D "democratic" in the ironic sense, not capital "D" in the political party sense. Although I tend to be economically conservative, I dislike high sales taxes because of their regressive nature and think they do adversely impact the poor.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Because he's not a "Real" Conservative, silly. Well, that's what the usual ravers will employ to avoid cognitive dissonance.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I really hate it when I feel somebody is leading a better life than me because of the taxes I pay. I'm like that because I am a small self loathing person with an immature and unrefined personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.