Time for a new family vehicle

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
i actually like the look of the new sorento. was impressed when i saw it on the road the other day

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
congrats! it seemed inevitable that was the car of choice! Very few cars pull off a nice looking white, the Sorento does good looking.

How do like rear visibility?

Finally drove it today. Visibility was definitely limited. It's about the same as my 3, but since the car is so small, it's not that big a deal. The Sorento is a bit bigger and lane-changing was a bit nerve-racking. Power was OK, but the 4cyl was obvious. The amenities and integration seem top-notch. I like the Bluetooth and Sirius radio. Back-up camera seems useless.

Sep 29, 2004
FALSE.
Just some examples:

Cadillac CTS
Buick Regal (Opel Insignia)
Buick Lacrosse
Chevrolet Equinox
Lambda crossovers (Traverse/Acadia/enclave)
Chevrolet Cruze (and all the "global Deltas" such as the Opel Astra)
Chevrolet Volt (the only electric car that can still run after the battery is out)
oh, and obviously the corvette and the pickups

Had a 1996 Chevy 1500 and have now a 2003 Chevy 1500. Some repairs but nothing too bothersome. The thing has never failed to get me from A to B. 155K miles on the current 2003 and expect to have it to 200K miles.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I assume he got the kia because of the price.
The Mazda5 is not a bad car and the country could do with more small family haulers. 2009 and prior didn't have stability control, though, which really is a basic safety feature now and I'd not buy a vehicle for the family without it at this point. Thankfully all new ones appear to have it either by federal mandate or whatever.

Mazda is behind Toyota/nissan/honda, however. It may have better reliability than Kia but surely has a weaker warranty.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
What specifically made you decide on the Kia?

Honestly, that was the first car my wife mentioned, and as such, was the only vehicle she was going to be happy with. Apparently the rest of the search was just so much masturbation until we talked price in the Sorento. I wished I would have realized it sooner - it would have saved a month+ of arguments. :awe:

But she's happy with it, and I'm not totally disgusted with the price we paid, so the drama is over and with a happy ending for all.. :D