Time for a new family vehicle

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I asked for advice for choosing a new car a few years back, and since I've been pretty satisfied with that purchase, I'm asking The Garage again for this go-round.

Current Vehicles:

2008 Mazda 3
  • 70K miles
  • Paid off
  • My commute car (350 miles/wk)
  • ~33mpg
1997 Dodge Caravan (Thread here)
  • 180K miles
  • Paid off
  • Shopping, dropping kids off at school, trips home (~600 miles)
  • ~24mpg

The Dodge keeps requiring more and more work. It's obviously less than a new car payment, but the hassle of having it in the shop a couple of times per year, plus the unreliability and concern of making out-of-state trips with it is prompting us to replace it in a few weeks/months. I've also been promising my wife she gets the next vehicle and that time is coming up, probably by this summer.

We need something big enough or the 4 of us, and the occasion trips/vacations, and the Mazda 3 is a bit cramped, but a full-blown minivan is probably overkill. We bought the Dodge because we got it for $2k from a friend and have had it for 3-4 years now. I love the dual sliding doors, but not enough to sink $20K into another one.

I initially liked the Mazda 5, on the basis that it was a "smaller" minivan, but over time, I realized it didn't really get much better gas mileage or come much cheaper than a real minivan, so I've abandoned that idea. We're now thinking small SUV/Crossover.

My wife (out of the blue) says she likes the Kia Sorento. I've been shy of Kia, but would consider a Hyundai. I always liked the Sante Fe and Tuscon, but don't know much about them. The Ford Edge is pretty hot, IMO, but pricing seems kind of high, as well.

A caveat that has come up is the fact that we could really use a truck. We live in a rural area and have been doing lawn and house renovations, and it's a bear to borrow vehicles or pay for delivery. So many times a truck would come in handy. But since we need a family vehicle, that would push us toward a full-size, crew-cab pickup, and those don't come cheap or get very good mileage. I'd like to avoid a $35K truck that gets 16mpg if at all possible, even though we both like the looks and utility of some of them.

I can "technically" afford up to ~$33K, but I'd obviously like to spend much less. I think $22-25K would be ideal.

So, Small SUVs? Crossovers? Slightly-used Crew-cab trucks? Anyone have some specifics they'd like to suggest, or something that I've overlooked?

--------

edit 1: Looked at the Chevy Equinox with the LTZ package - very nice vehicle, but the sticker was $32k! Dropping down to the LT2 package and adding some options make is a bit more reasonable, but not ideal. Gonna look at the Kia Sorento and Nissan Rogue next. That should drop the price (and possible the quality/options.)

--------

edit 2: OK - getting closer to purchase time and now I'm getting skiddish of dropping $25K+ on a new vehicle. I'm now looking at slightly used (2009-2011) models that are coming in at or under $20K.

Examples:

--------

Update: Purchased a Kia Sorento EX

My well-networked wife ended up complaining about the salesman at the Kia dealership to enough people, that the GM of the dealership got back to us and promised to get us in the vehicle we wanted for the price we wanted. I was still hesitant and my wife and I ended up arguing about vehicles for days.

Then yesterday Kia called and asked us to come in, so we finally did. We looked at a few models, but the ones they wanted to sell us were very basic (but with V6) and ~$26K. I finally saw a 4-cylinder EX model with leather, backup camera, push-button start, ex. All the features my wife was looking for, but in a car that was Pearl White (not in out list of colors.) Long story short, MSRP was $28K, but we ended up paying $24.3K +TTL. Not too bad, IMO - and my wife loves it.

Stock Photo:

31777876.jpg

Actual pics to come later..

Last edited:

punjabiplaya

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
I think you could use a truck, it would help you out a lot more than anything else. I have no idea what a good used crew-cab pickup would be. Maybe a low mileage f150 or silverado/gmc whatever it is

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
As a (prior) owner of a Mazda5 it's milage is actually much better than what the numbers show. Over the life of 24,000 miles I averaged 25MPG with a 50/50 mixed highway in town driving. It'll pull 30-32 on the highway fairly easily and low to mid 20's in town.

No full size minivan is going to come close to that. Hell, the 2010 Dodge Caravan I had for a week was lucky to pull 23MPG on the highway. In town it was like 18MPG on a good day. Price wise the MZ5 can be had as low as 16,000 new in base trim (older style...not sure on new), 10k-12k used with fairly low milage. It turns on a dime and has excellent storage capacity for it's footprint. I loved the car as long as you don't need to live with the 3rd row. It's emergency use only.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
As a (prior) owner of a Mazda5 it's milage is actually much better than what the numbers show. Over the life of 24,000 miles I averaged 25MPG with a 50/50 mixed highway in town driving. It'll pull 30-32 on the highway fairly easily and low to mid 20's in town.

No full size minivan is going to come close to that. Hell, the 2010 Dodge Caravan I had for a week was lucky to pull 23MPG on the highway. In town it was like 18MPG on a good day. Price wise the MZ5 can be had as low as 16,000 new in base trim (older style...not sure on new), 10k-12k used with fairly low milage. It turns on a dime and has excellent storage capacity for it's footprint. I loved the car as long as you don't need to live with the 3rd row. It's emergency use only.

I'll keep that in mind. Wife isn't a big fan, but she's not the one paying for it. ;)

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
This will probably start something bad...

CarMax - 2008 Chevy Avalanche $23K

I'm browsing CarMax and seeing that full-size, recent-model, 4-door trucks for < $25K are rather abundant here in Texas. And not only trucks, but whatever the hell the Avalanche is! ^_^

2010 Chevy Silverado $24K
2007 Toyota Tundra - $22K

Or along those lines, a honda ridgeline or ford explorer sport trac. Both give you the "car" comforts with a bed. Both aren't very good on gas though.

You know what I say? Get a trailer. $500 bucks will get you a good trailer that will let you haul whatever the f you want without compromising everywhere else. Speaking of that, would you like some ground clearance? AWD/4WD? How rural are you?

How about a subaru forester? The xt models will come with decent power to pull, awd if you need to haul whatever it is to wherever it needs to go and is decently comfortable inside with 24mpg. Or hell, the new outbacks are pretty damn roomy inside.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

i think the new honda odessey is quoted at 28mpg highway (no idea what engine)

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
The gas mileage on trucks is horrible, even on the highway. They do a lot of tricks like using low rolling resistant tires to get the highway mileage up on the new ones. I would never buy a car with these as they add to braking distance and just grip less to get better mileage. Unless you need to haul often, I'd get a van/suv and a trailer. Unless you're hauling lots, any smallish suv should be able to handle 1500 lbs. I have 2010 Town and Country that I picked up for a smoking deal with 20K miles and I get about 23 on the highway easy.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
If you could pick up a used 2008 Grand Caravan with DVD system (priceless if you've got little ones) for $13-14k, would you be more interested? Just something to think about as the dual sliding doors and easy ingress/egress is hard to give up. We went from a 1998 Caravan to a 2008 and it felt like a big upgrade.

On the highway I've gotten as high as 25-26mpg. Around town it's more like 16-18mpg depending on the season.

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
If you could pick up a used 2008 Grand Caravan with DVD system (priceless if you've got little ones) for $13-14k, would you be more interested? Just something to think about as the dual sliding doors and easy ingress/egress is hard to give up. We went from a 1998 Caravan to a 2008 and it felt like a big upgrade.

On the highway I've gotten as high as 25-26mpg. Around town it's more like 16-18mpg depending on the season.

I paid 17K for my 2010 T&C touring.. no dvd though. 21K miles, balance of factory warranty, even picked up a 100K mile extended warranty on the cheap.

We were looking at the 08s until we found out that the only warranty that they had was 3/36K because of the fact they were doing that unlimited power train warranty that is not transferable. They ended up being the same price though. More mileage too...

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Fuel prices just keep going up, with all the miles you're gonna be putting into the thing, plus wanting some utility, go test a Chevy Equinox i4. It's not fast, but it's got enough usable power to get around in, and it's surprisingly nice for what it is. Driven without a lead foot, you'll see fuel economy almost in the range of your Mazda3 :)

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
It's not here yet, and I don't know when it will be (2012 is vague, is that start of 2012 or sometime in 2012, not sure), but, the Ford C-Max may be what you're looking for. I saw one at the Chicago Auto Show and I think Ford will end up selling a lot of them. Obviously though, you can't buy one of those now....

Chuck

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
i think the new honda odessey is quoted at 28mpg highway (no idea what engine)

I have an '09 odyssey with the same 3.5 that's in the new van. same VCM.... the new van has a revised tranny....

what I am getting at is my van gets about 19-20 mpg during mixed driving. might see 21 when it gets on the highway more often than cruising around town. To put his in perspective, my 98 protege gets 23 with mixed driving (1.5 litre 4 banger).... we don't see a lot of highway miles with this car

Last edited:

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002

if the op doesn't want a full size van, the 5 would definitely be worth a test drive

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'll keep that in mind. Wife isn't a big fan, but she's not the one paying for it. ;)

You know what I say? Get a trailer. $500 bucks will get you a good trailer that will let you haul whatever the f you want without compromising everywhere else.

Best advice! This way the OP won't have to compromise gas mileage or creature comforts just to get the ability to haul an occasional big item.

How about a subaru forester?

They're kind of small. How old are the kids? I know that I would NOT want to sit in the back seat of a Forester for longer trips.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Or along those lines, a honda ridgeline or ford explorer sport trac. Both give you the "car" comforts with a bed. Both aren't very good on gas though.

You know what I say? Get a trailer. $500 bucks will get you a good trailer that will let you haul whatever the f you want without compromising everywhere else. Speaking of that, would you like some ground clearance? AWD/4WD? How rural are you?

How about a subaru forester? The xt models will come with decent power to pull, awd if you need to haul whatever it is to wherever it needs to go and is decently comfortable inside with 24mpg. Or hell, the new outbacks are pretty damn roomy inside.

Yeah, small SUV + trailer is an option. I'm not that rural - roads are paved. :biggrin:

2010 Hyundai Tuscon gets decent reviews, and can be had for rather cheap with nice options. Chevy Equinox may be something to consider, as well. :hmm: