Time for a leaf blower upgrade. Opinion on Stihls?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So I am currently using a John Deere 2BV blower that my dad bought back in 93. It works but has issues so I was thinking about getting a new one. I was looking at the Stihl BG 56 C-E as a replacement. My local dealer has it for around $179 which seems like a fair price. I checked it out and like the weight, power, and the fact that if I use my right hand it doesn't suck my pants against the intake like my Deere. This is just for around the house so I think the 56 C-E should be fine.

So does anyone have some opinions on this blower or Stihl in general? Reviews online lead me to believe it's a good unit and Stihl is a good brand but those are online reviews...I'd like to get opinions/perspective from anyone whose owned a Stihl for awhile.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Stihl or Echo or whatever in that price range should be fairly comparable. Just a matter of whether you prefer Japanese or German engineering.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Stihl is the go to for grounds maintenance people. Echo appears to be the top end of homeowners equipment.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I checked out the Echo too while I was there. I liked it as well and a few years ago I bought an Echo trimmer and really like it. I was going to get the Echo blower to idk "stay in the family" if that makes sense but then the sales guy showed me the Stihl. He pointed out that the specs and price are comparable but then showed me that when using my right hand the intake won't suck against my pants. I really liked that since I'm right handed.

I'll probably end up going with the Stihl unless someone jumps in and points out some serious issues with them which I don't think will happen.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Stihl is the go to for grounds maintenance people. Echo appears to be the top end of homeowners equipment.
Echo just has the homeowner market since you can buy them at Home Depot. They have plenty of "pro" products too. IMHO Husqvarna is smart to start selling through Lowe's.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Stihl makes good stuff, you can't really go wrong. You can usually find a comparable quality Echo, Husqvarna, etc. for less money because of the Stihl dealer-only distribution chain.

I picked up a Tanaka (Japanese) trimmer on clearance a few years back and it's been great. A lot of their equipment is sold under the Hitachi brand.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Stihl makes good stuff, you can't really go wrong. You can usually find a comparable quality Echo, Husqvarna, etc. for less money because of the Stihl dealer-only distribution chain.

I picked up a Tanaka (Japanese) trimmer on clearance a few years back and it's been great. A lot of their equipment is sold under the Hitachi brand.

Kinda depends upon the Stihl dealer as to what the selling price is, actually.

My experience: Went looking for a replacement for my Echo trimmer. Loved it, actually, but the spot the spark plug occupies is a spot that my right elbow contacts on occasion....inducing a nice, nasty shock.

The Stihl that was comparable was the FC-56 @ 219.99 (vs. the 199.99 for the Echo I had.)

At least that was the price at the dealer nearest me....in GA. Right across the state line in SC, Anderson to be exact--~20 miles away, the list price was $20 cheaper @ 199.99. Odd, I thought. Checked several GA vs. SC dealers and the pricing was consistent across many Stihl items, about $20 cheaper or more as you moved up.

When I bought it in Anderson, SC, I asked if the price was their best and I bought it for $179.99 + tax.

"Moral" of the story....check as many Stihl dealers as you can, esp. if you live near a state border. Different distributors, different retail prices. Well worth driving 20 miles to save $40.

Oh, and I'd buy a Stihl blower in a minute. Have the BR200 myself...their "homeowner" backpack. Works damned well as does the trimmer and chainsaw (180 C-BE) I've got....all Stihl.

Echo is quite good, too, but I do like my Stihl products, as most of the commercial guys around here do, too.

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I bought a Stihl blower/vac two years ago. Has run fine pretty good. Should have followed my neighbor's lead and bought the backpack blower though.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I ended up going with the Stihl model that I had mentioned in my OP. So far it has worked well but I've only used it a few times to blow off the patio, some left over mulch fines off the driveway, and a few other odds and ends. Anyway, it starts easy and has plenty of power for what I need. It's too early to tell about long term reliability though.
I ended buying it from a place called Weilands Lawn Mower Hospital. They're are my local Stihl dealer and have been around for ages. Good guys who I've dealt with for a long time.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Congrats on your purchase. I'm certain you'll be as pleased with their (Stihl) equip. as I've been. Just remember.....use min. 89 octane gas. Required per Stihl's manual, same as Echo's fuel requirement. 10% ethanol is fine, just 89 octane minimum.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Looks like a nice blower but a little overkill for what I needed. I've never used Ego before but a few months back The Family Handyman did a review on cordless chainsaws and the Ego reviewed pretty good so they seem like a good brand. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion but the Stihl I bought is working out pretty well.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Not sure about the Stihl home versions, but the professional ones seem to hold up well. The guys that doing lawn work for a living swear by them. I have the Professional Kombi which has served me well however, I'm going to get a backpack blower this year.