Time for a 15k mile checkup

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I bought a Honda two years ago and have so far taken it to the dealer to get a tuneup and the 7,500 mile checkup done. Do these checkups have to be done at a dealer, muchless done at all to keep the warranty validated? The dealer near me charges over $200 to get just the 15k checkup done, which basically sounds like a glorified oil change - it includes oil and lube and an inspection on the rest of the car for any potential problems.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Nope, these do not need to be done at the dealerships...

There should be a chart stating what needs to be done at every interval in your car manual... You can simply follow this chart and perform all the maintaince yourself or take it to another garage...

Personally I only have the major tuneups done at the dealerships... All the normal stuff (like oil changes) I take them to other shops which are way cheaper...

Chipster

Aug 8, 2001
If you can find a good local mechanic that will change your plugs and oil,I would just bring it to them and have them do a quick inspection of the hoses and whatever else they do and it will probably cost half of what the dealer charges. It will not affect your warranty either,just keep your paperwork.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Not only do you not need to have them done at the local dealership, you don't need to do them at all. Not following the "recommended" service schedule does not invalidate the warranty. The manufacturer can only challenge the warranty if they can prove that you've abused the car and failing do do scheduled maintainance doesn't constitute abuse. The schedule is just a way to build extra profit into a dealership. Change your oil regularly, have a tune-up once a year with new plugs and a radiator flush and fill, have the timing belt done at the proper time and blow off the rest of the scheduled service, it's a rip-off. Only go to the dealership if there's an actual repair needed.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Gee, my 2002 car is 1 year old in October and I already have 16K miles.

I do ALL my own maintainance - just keep all receipts for parts and date the service you perform. I change my oil at twice the recommended interval . . . and I have almost 84K miles left on the warranty. :D

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Well this is good to know. I get resentful when I feel like I'm being pushed to buy something that I'm 'supposed' to have and get the evil eye if I don't. Yep the Best Buy guys can get stuffed with their extended warranties too. :p

I just checked the manual and maintenance at 15k is:

Replace oil/filter
Inspect breaks
Check parking brake adjustment

<U>Visually inspect the following:
</U>Steering/driveshaft/suspension components
Break lines
All fluid levels
Cooling system hoses/connections
Emissions
Fuel lines

Its about $18 to get the oil changed and fill the fluids so I'd be paying about $200 so they can take a quick glance for leaks etc.
rolleye.gif

I've got a good mechanic that I used with my previous car so thats not a problem. He'll be happy to see me again too, particularly given how much money I've sent his way from my old minivan. ;)