TIM application: line method, pea-sized method, or manual spread method?

TIM application: line method, pea-sized method, or manual spread method?

• line method (self-spreading)

• pea-sized method (self-spreading)

• scrape method (manual spreading)

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
None of the above. Depends on the thermal compound you use and you should follow its instructions. Some spread themselves, some need to be spread, some need rice sized pieces but never as large as a pea. So follow the manufacturer of the thermal pastes instructions.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I normally use scrape with AS5 and my 212+, but I put IC Diamond on it last time and the directions said 'pea/self spreading' so that's what I did.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Regardless of the TIM used, doesn't then manual scraping method introduce the possibility of air getting trapped in the material? I don't know if I'd use that method even if the instructions told me to.

Last edited:

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I use Ceramique and I put a small dab (Pea Size is WAY too much) and let the heatsink spread it out.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use numerous dots, like a 5 die, then twist the HS before setting it.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
None of the above. Depends on the thermal compound you use and you should follow its instructions. Some spread themselves, some need to be spread, some need rice sized pieces but never as large as a pea. So follow the manufacturer of the thermal pastes instructions.

This subject seems to get recycled about once a month. TIM application also depends on the type of cooler you have. TIM application on HDT (heat pipe direct touch), i.e., CM Hyper 212+, Corsair A70, coolers works best if you first fill in the spaces between the heat pipes and base, and then apply your TIM like this:http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=5

I have only used this application method on my A70 with aluminum oxide based TIMS, but I may try it with IC Diamond.

crazymonkeyzero

Feb 25, 2012
I use pea sized dot of TIM for all processors except lga 2011. The reason being is that due to increased surface area of the chip, the line method, is better suited, imo, atleast with my experience with AC MX4.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I consider TIM application based on:

instructions specific to the TIM
the heatsink contact surface
the CPU chip package layout

It really depends on the scenario.