TI-89 vs TI-92!

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
anyone ever use the ti-92??? any difference between the two, beside the way it looks.

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
I bought a 92 before the 89s even came out, so I never had the option of buying the 89. I think the 92 has more memory or something, doesn't it? Plus, having the QWERTY-style keyboard is much nicer than having to hunt and peck for letters when typing in your notes for the big test. Plus there's the ability to expand the 92 with the 92-plus thingy.

Of course, everything I know about it is at least two and a half years old since I haven't used my 92 since junior year of college...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BigJohnKC
I bought a 92 before the 89s even came out, so I never had the option of buying the 89. I think the 92 has more memory or something, doesn't it? Plus, having the QWERTY-style keyboard is much nicer than having to hunt and peck for letters when typing in your notes for the big test. Plus there's the ability to expand the 92 with the 92-plus thingy.

Of course, everything I know about it is at least two and a half years old since I haven't used my 92 since junior year of college...

92's now include Plus capability without the module, and they're much faster than a 92 upgraded with a 92+ module. I paid $200 for my TI-92 and another $100 for the Plus module, & a $150 92+ today will run circles around mine.

I have used my 92 extensively (engineering, physics, calculus, etc.), and played with other students' 89's. I much prefer the 92+.

The full keyboard is nice, you'll find yourself typing out commands rather than using the menus to find them. Try doing that on a 89.

Let's see, Alpha key f, alpha key a, alpha key c, alpha key t... etc. Ever program like that?

The 92 also has a different screen ratio than the 89, the split screen capability is nice to have.

Viper GTS

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
they still make the ti92? i was looking on flebay and didn't see anything new...

so far it looks like the 92 is the way to go... anyone else?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I've got an 89 and a couple of my buds have the 92's..

I think the specs on the 89 and 92 are the same, except you have the keyboard and larger display

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

92's now include Plus capability without the module, and they're much faster than a 92 upgraded with a 92+ module. I paid $200 for my TI-92 and another $100 for the Plus module, & a $150 92+ today will run circles around mine.

I have used my 92 extensively (engineering, physics, calculus, etc.), and played with other students' 89's. I much prefer the 92+.

The full keyboard is nice, you'll find yourself typing out commands rather than using the menus to find them. Try doing that on a 89.

Let's see, Alpha key f, alpha key a, alpha key c, alpha key t... etc. Ever program like that?

The 92 also has a different screen ratio than the 89, the split screen capability is nice to have.

Viper GTS

That sucks for us cutting edge math technology nerds, huh? :) Good thing I don't use it anymore. In fact, I don't even know where my 92 is.....probably buried in a box of books somewhere....

I always did like having the large screen and full keyboard, though. What annoyed me was that because it was so big and a different shape than the other graphing calcs, people would always be like, "What is that, your Gameboy or something?" That got old really fast....

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

That sucks for us cutting edge math technology nerds, huh? :) Good thing I don't use it anymore. In fact, I don't even know where my 92 is.....probably buried in a box of books somewhere....

I always did like having the large screen and full keyboard, though. What annoyed me was that because it was so big and a different shape than the other graphing calcs, people would always be like, "What is that, your Gameboy or something?" That got old really fast....

Everyone in my classes knew exactly what it was, most people had it. Those who didn't wished they did.

But mine was the only one with a Plus module, I could do direction fields for diff eq's long before anyone else.

:D

Viper GTS

Skawttey

Mar 1, 2002
It depends on if you are in high school or college. You can not use the 92 on any standardized tests like the SAT. Also, most teachers that i had in high school would not even let you use an 89.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Skawttey
It depends on if you are in high school or college. You can not use the 92 on any standardized tests like the SAT. Also, most teachers that i had in high school would not even let you use an 89.

While I understand banning them for SAT's (or any graphing calculator for that matter), the advantage afforded by a pricey calculator is eliminated by the three most feared words:

Show your work.

Viper GTS

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Skawttey
The professors at my University (Acadia - in eastern canada) won't allow any kind of graphing calculator in tests. :(