Thunderbolt 3 docking stations

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
Anyone have much experience with Thunderbolt 3 docking stations? which ones, and what are your thoughts? Devices i'm looking to connect would be keyboard, mouse, speakers, LAN, and 2 monitors. One monitor is 4k the other is currently not. may eventually swap it out so support for 2x 4k/60 displays desired. Thunderbolt daisy chaining may or may not be needed. currently i'd say no. may not ever need it.

I'm looking at buying a new 2-1 device and i'm going to need a dock for it when at my desk. Currently leaning towards the HP Elitebook x360 1030 g3 if it matters. I've looked at a couple of HP branded Thunderbolt docks and started to look at other manufactures. Never used one before and only now just started to look into them. Read through a 2018 review of a few from arstechnica. Just putting that out there if you're thinking of suggesting i read it.

Thanks for any input you may have.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
That's my work laptop, looking over the products on the HP site would guess the dock they gave me isn't an HP branded one. Will have to check when I'm at my desk again.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Hard to say, about 85 to 90% of my use it's little more than a CPU as I have it hooked up to external monitors, keyboard, and mouse. Its is fairly small and light, touch screen and 2 in 1 works well. Because of small size, cant say I'd like to look forward to typing long documents on the built in keyboard.

Mostly I have it open just to check for incoming email, about all actual work done on other screens.

BavarianE31

Dec 11, 2018
I can't imagine living without a Thunderbolt 3 setup. I'm a student that uses a Thinkpad as my only computer and even with its great keyboard, I need the use of an extra large monitor and a great mechanical keyboard and mouse for those long reports. The one plug is a godsend comparing to unplugging all of the peripherals one by one and it really cleans the look of your desk.

I used the Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 dock and it was OK. I had to download a driver and sometimes (95%) of the time it would work flawlessly, but sometimes it wouldn't read my mouse and I had to unplug and replug it in. Still would recommend it though.

I recently picked up a Thunderbolt 3 / USB Type C monitor and I believe that's the way to go. Gets rid of the dock and cleans up the desk even more. All of your peripherals hook up to it and you don't have to buy an extra dock. I got a Thinkvision P24h and honestly think it's one of the most underrated monitors out there (picked it up for $120 brand new on sale). No driver needed for the integrated dock to work. Just plug and go and everyone in your family with a laptop can use it if they want a desk setup easily. If you have multiple family members or friends that prefer to use your desk, then this is something to consider. I love saying "yeah, just plug your laptop in and you can use everything!" The monitor has great color, pixel density and USB C type hub that I cannot live without.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
so what dock do you have? i decided to go ahead and order the x360 1030; but holding off on the dock. my use will be dragging around the house and work. I want a decent dock for when i'm at my desk so i can use my regular monitors, keyboard/trackball, and speakers.

BavarianE31

Dec 11, 2018
If you're dragging one between the house and work, then definitely get a dock. Like I said, the monitor integrated ones work well, but doesn't seem like the best option for you.

I only used the Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock, but your best bet is probably Amazon reviews

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I have one and it works fantastic. hp elite thunderbolt 3. Love that thing so much more than my old dock station. I use it with my hp zbook 15 g3