Thunderbird pukes on POP3, IMAP has errors

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
This is really annoying, for some reason, thunderbird will not accept any more POP3 mail from yahoo's servers after a certain date.
Switching to IMAP results in numerous [UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH errors, but, it does have mail that is current.

thundererrors.jpg

Already tried making a new profile, and it don't make a difference.

Ideas on what is causing the errors?
I already tried the convoluted process of enabling logging in thunderbird, but that didn't shed anymore light on the errors.
Accessing said account via web mail, all is fine though.
This has been going on for ~10 days now, all was fine before.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
In the account settings under imap, there is an advanced button. In there, have you tried lowering the cached connection to 1? 365 does the same kind of thing lately. Never had a problem with gmail or zoho though.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My Yahoo UK account is working via POP3 on TB without any problems.

What AV / firewall software do you use? In my experience malfunctioning security software is a common cause of weird connectivity issues.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
In the account settings under imap, there is an advanced button. In there, have you tried lowering the cached connection to 1? 365 does the same kind of thing lately. Never had a problem with gmail or zoho though.
IMAP & POP3 still work fine with no errors on google & hotmail, it is only recently that yahoo is acting up.
I did try setting it to 1, and it still has the same error.

This account has over 20K mails in it, which might be part of the problem, but, there is no fast way to get all the mails. I knew POP3 wasn't fast, but, I expected IMAP to be faster, and it barely is.
Yahoo's mail interface limits it to 50 or so at a time, and that would take a heck of a long time to try and find worthless mails.

My Yahoo UK account is working via POP3 on TB without any problems.

What AV / firewall software do you use? In my experience malfunctioning security software is a common cause of weird connectivity issues.
None of that applies here, I don't run any full time AV software, as for the firewall, that doesn't play a role in this, all traffic is going through as it should, even was looking at a package dump, found no issues.

Last edited:

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Try a different mail client like Foxmail, it's quite Thunderbird-esque but seems to have less issues. Funnily, the interface defaults to Chinese so you have to delete the language file and it will go to English.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Just for the heck of it, I am trying to import all of the mail form Yahoo to Google via their automated bot.
I think this is about the slowest thing there is, started at 10AM, and now, 4 1/2 hours later, it got a whole 200 messages.
At this rate, it will take 15 days to get everything.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It stopped at 3,193.
However, most of those say "Unfortunately this message has been corrupted and is not retrievable. Error 43."
Sigh.
There isn't any support that I can find to ask just what the heck that means.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
There's an issue I have encountered on many occasions with a UK ISP that used Yahoo's mail services whereby either when (whichever POP3 mail client) was told to retrieve messages, it would either stop at a particular message or repeatedly download that message every time it was told to retrieve messages.

I've seen that issue for about ten years now, it's still current. My workaround for it is to go into Thunderbird's account settings and set the message size to say 50KB. What then happens is that TB is able to download the full load of messages, any larger than 50KB can be downloaded separately by clicking on that message then clicking on the 'download' button. It's normally only a problem I encounter on slow Internet connections, though the size of the e-mail that is 'causing' the problem seems to be relative to the speed of the Internet connection. I suspect that Yahoo's mail system disconnects a client if it has "taken too long" to download a message.

This tip may get you past the "faulty" e-mail?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Got nothing to lose... will try that.
BTW, for such a huge companies, both google & yahoo have terrible support options.