Thugs on display at Huntington Beach. A freakin surfing riot!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
He named himself after a Simpsons character. What did you expect, Chaucer?

Yeah I know but he had to go through a little bit of effort to find the pictures and make the false equivalence... maybe the cartoon Homer wouldn't have failed so badly.

Sep 7, 2009
Nothing more really needs to be said.

It's pretty obvious that no one here supports these thugs and their actions.

So why is it that thugs and low lifes rioting for illegal justice aren't treated the same way?

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
The proper term is white HISPANIC. Just so we're clear. :)
Also to be clear, Hispanic is a relatively recently invented race that used to be included under "white," which itself was only created a few centuries ago and has changed meaning a lot of times since in significant ways. Irish used to be considered a different race more akin to American Indians, for example. There's no such thing as "true" white. Including Hispanic/Latino in "white" isn't a new thing, it's an old thing.

I'm not sure everyone in the thread has actually read the original link and realized it was mostly tongue-in-cheek joking, not a serious thing. Of course no one's defending these guys, that's not the point. The point was how easy it is to smear an entire race with the actions of a disgraceful tiny minority part of that race, some out of context statistics, and some "just asking questions" "politically incorrect" rhetoric.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Also to be clear, Hispanic is a relatively recently invented race that used to be included under "white," which itself was only created a few centuries ago and has changed meaning a lot of times since in significant ways. Irish used to be considered a different race more akin to American Indians, for example. There's no such thing as "true" white. Including Hispanic/Latino in "white" isn't a new thing, it's an old thing.

Swedes and Russians also used to be considered "swarthy" :D

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/swarthy
of a dark color, complexion, or cast

Sep 7, 2009

I'm not sure everyone in the thread has actually read the original link and realized it was mostly tongue-in-cheek joking, not a serious thing. Of course no one's defending these guys, that's not the point. The point was how easy it is to smear an entire race with the actions of a disgraceful tiny minority part of that race, some out of context statistics, and some "just asking questions" "politically incorrect" rhetoric.

The real point of this is why is it that nobody supports these thugs (including their own race), yet when thugs of darker skin colors riot their entire community blindly supports them?

Even when said thug is a known violent criminal, who attacked an innocent man, he is still martyred by his peers.

THAT is the major problem here. No one is "smearing" either "race". Stop being such a sensationalist.

Nov 8, 2012
Well this all goes back to the classic suite of arguments which consists of:

• Cops pull black people over too much
  • Blacks are convicted of the same crime more often and given harsher penalties
  • Too many blacks are in prison
  • People unfairly keep an eye on blacks in stores and view blacks suspiciously when it isn't warranted
  • Black criminality is viewed as collective to all blacks in a way white criminality isn't viewed as indicating something about all whites
And it seems obvious you buy into this meme fully. I'm here to tell you that I think it is largely a mythology. Sort of... it's complicated. Allow me to explain.

It seems most people think about these issues at a depth of one layer, when in order to understand what's going on you need to think about them down at a depth of two or three layers.

If you just glance at a statistic saying blacks are pulled over by cops far more often, or stopped for "stop and frisk" far more often, or convicted of marijuana possession and given harsher sentences... etc, then yes you can come away with the reaction of "omg systemic racism!"

Let me take this moment to say I don't completely deny that there is systemic racism, I just don't think it's anywhere NEAR as bad or as significant of a factor as people make it out to be.

Fo shizzle.

Is there a church that teaches your word? I want to praise thee! :D

Sidenote: Convinction rates have a lot to do with a VERY technical question called "Are you a complete dumbass?". If you come into the court without a lawyer and without a lawyer's advice. The answer to that question is a resounding "Yes." If you come into the court dressed the same way (or similar) that you were arrested in.... The answer to that question is also a resounding "Yes." If you answer questions like a dumbass... that answer is a resounding "Yes."

Convinctions are highly based on how much evidence is stacked against you.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The point was how easy it is to smear an entire race with the actions of a disgraceful tiny minority part of that race, some out of context statistics, and some "just asking questions" "politically incorrect" rhetoric.

There's a lot of crap that's out there. Blacks are not inherently more violent than any other group, yet the other half of denial is that there's no effective difference in behavior or how we're supposed to perceive it. The black community has been played and preyed upon no only by true racists, but it's own. It's not been held accountable for it's actions nearly as much as it's been excused because of history, white people, you name it. That's my problem. People have been harmed because there was a conflict between a "white" person and a black with tragic consequence, but the circumstances were irrelevant. What mattered what white on black. Local governments and papers "braced" for protests. Racist? You might call them that, but they were right. Coincidence? You might call it that. I wouldn't based on past events.

The fact is that there are elements which promote violent actions on the part of the black community when it involves blacks and another race. There is also a suppression of truth when pointing out egregious racism on the part of some black leaders. Remember that failure of Homer with his "Racist and proud" thread, the primary example being a female Homer baiting? There was some mention of the leader of the pro Trevon group, but what outrage was there over what he supports? Where does Obama address that? Where is a fraction of the coverage spent by the press making Zimmerman into a devil and Martin into a little kid saint? It's not dared to be done.

And Obama himself- That little old lady in the elevator that was nervous. What message did he send to her? That black males aren't accountable for their actions. That it's a natural consequence of their environment and history. I'm sure that's going to make people feel more secure, because his "comfort" message amounted to just that. Well that's not good enough. His "better world" cannot exist because it's guaranteed by people like him that it cannot come about. Don't worry, it's not your fault that you can't control yourselves would be about the most insulting and racist message that can be given, and yet it's seen as a positive.

No, it most certainly is not.

Are most blacks violent? To their credit no, but it's not for the lack of inciting them on the part of others who are there to "help" them.

You have been abused, you aren't accountable, you don't even have the ability to control yourselves. It's everyone else's fault. What a sick message.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
You're only supposed to report on minority behavior in P&N.

Otherwise, people start acting funky.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You're only supposed to report on minority behavior in P&N.

Otherwise, people start acting funky.

Yeah, real funky to see total condemnation on reported thugs. I'd expect someone to support them if they weren't "white".

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Yeah, real funky to see total condemnation on reported thugs. I'd expect someone to support them if they weren't "white".

The point isn't whether or not they are being condemned. Its the fact that the posters in P&N are overly obsessed with reporting minority crime and judging an entire group of people because of it. You are free to check out any of the "how to fix black people" threads in P&N, there are several. In those thread, you will find posters openly admitting that they profile and discriminate when it comes to blacks all the time.

Not only that, but how generously the word "thug" is applied in threads on minorities.

Rarely are white crimes reported here...when they are, you don't see any of those buzzwords being used about this group, nor do you see the hasty generalizations.

Like one poster said...white people commit crimes. black people are criminals. 80% of us, actually (hahaha)

And by acting funky...I mean this whole attitude of pretending like P&N doesn't act a certain way when they know the subject matter is going to be a brown person.

Sep 7, 2009
<snip>

Rarely are white crimes reported here...when they are, you don't see any of those buzzwords being used about this group, nor do you see the hasty generalizations.

<snip>

Plenty of crazy 'white crimes' are discussed on these forums, complete with buzzwords and generalizations. But it doesn't fit you "poor me evrybody's silent racism is holding me back" agenda so it doesn't count.

Your entire post is revolting, closed-minded, and racist. I mean this in the best way.. I wish you could work on your hate, it would help your life immensely.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Plenty of crazy 'white crimes' are discussed on these forums, complete with buzzwords and generalizations.

"Plenty" eh? Please make a list, because I would like to see. After you submit the list, we can then weigh it against the overwhelming amount of posts in this forum about minorities. Also, while you're at it, please find the threads where the forum attempts to discuss how to fix whites, complete with gems like "white people should just adopt black babies".

But it doesn't fit you "poor me evrybody's silent racism is holding me back" agenda so it doesn't count.

lol, whatever you say.

Your entire post is revolting, closed-minded, and racist. I mean this in the best way.. I wish you could work on your hate, it would help your life immensely.

hahahaha. Right... What is revolting, close-minded, and racist about calling out an obvious obsession with reporting on minorities and not whites?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2009
Again, no different than jumping to the naive conclusion that the only reason more dark skinned people are arrested MUST be racism (while ignoring all other details..)

Same thing here... You are seeing what you want to see, which is racism everywhere.

There is no super secret underground movement against dark skinned people. Not on the forums or in real life. People just post and talk about crazy people and news stories... Sometimes it's beige people, sometimes it's burnt oranges.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Again, no different than jumping to the naive conclusion that the only reason more dark skinned people are arrested MUST be racism (while ignoring all other details..)

Same thing here... You are seeing what you want to see, which is racism everywhere.

There is no super secret underground movement against dark skinned people. Not on the forums or in real life. People just post and talk about crazy people and news stories... Sometimes it's beige people, sometimes it's burnt oranges.

You are more guilty then most. In the Dunn case one person in the car of four had a record and you called the entire car a "thug crew". Not everyone in that car comitted a crime.

It would make sense to me not everyone in the crowd at the Huntington Beach riot is a thug/criminal.

Sep 7, 2009
You are more guilty then most. In the Dunn case one person in the car of four had a record and you called the entire car a "thug crew". Not everyone in that car comitted a crime.

It would make sense to me not everyone in the crowd at the Huntington Beach riot is a thug/criminal.

I don't give any crew who runs with current felons the benefit of doubt in a social discussion. In a court of law everyone is equal, but in a court of public opinion the people you run with reflects upon you.

And it was "Felon thug crew".

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Why is this forum so damn obsessed with race issues? The Zimmerman case is OVER. Time to move on people.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
We do so love generalizations and terms to encapsulate them.

There was a time when I took "Neocon" personally, not because I support what they stand for, but because I didn't know enough or any better to disassociate myself from it. It was in my limited view a term to slander any Conservative. Took a long time to examine it and realize I didn't like Neocons either.

I think you might be surprised to learn that while "thug" is predominantly used on minorities, it isn't meant to encapsulate anyone more than the intended criminal element. Though I can appreciate if people on both sides struggle to separate the two.

Rarely are white crimes reported here...
It might even be difficult to play a game of one&#8211;upmanship with that, given how we depend on the media and this disparity would also originate with them. Not saying we aren't guilty of it, but ours would be an extra layer on top of what is already unbalanced.

when they are, you don't see any of those buzzwords being used about this group, nor do you see the hasty generalizations.
You're free to try it... although I don't think anyone would call Bernie Madoff a thug. For other, more violent crimes, I'd be curious to see how P&N acts differently.

I mean, I think you're right to varying degrees, depending on each poster in question. What are we to do about it?

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why is this forum so damn obsessed with race issues? The Zimmerman case is OVER. Time to move on people.

In all fairness there are a number of posters on here who are pretty openly racist. (SA, Geosurface, spidey, etc) I can see how people would get tired of it and try to push back the other way.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
In all fairness there are a number of posters on here who are pretty openly racist. (SA, Geosurface, spidey, etc) I can see how people would get tired of it and try to push back the other way.

Oh, I'm referring to those people as much as I am to the OP here. It seems this Zimmerman case has brought out the worst in a lot of people. I can recall the occasional veiled bigotry on this forum going way back, but something about that case has really brought it to the forefront. It's enough that we already have the longest thread in AT history on that case alone. We don't need another 3-4 spin off threads per day. It's turning the forum into even more of a cesspool than it already was.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

Hey, I am, too! SA said so!

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012

There's not racism everywhere, there's loads and loads of racism on this subforum. There's a difference.

The Zimmerman thing was a symptom, not (entirely) a cause. This forum used to just be full of just-world libertarianism, but over the past few years it's taken a hard right turn towards Stormfront territory.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
There's not racism everywhere, there's loads and loads of racism on this subforum. There's a difference.

The Zimmerman thing was a symptom, not (entirely) a cause. This forum used to just be full of just-world libertarianism, but over the past few years it's taken a hard right turn towards Stormfront territory.

I think the Zimmerman case was a catalyst which brought out some pre-existing attitudes that were latent.

I agree the forum has taken an unfortunate turn, which is precisely my point. It may have originally been black leaders who made the Zimmerman case about race, but the reaction of certain white people who seem obsessed with that case and now everything to do with race is highly disturbing.

I keep hoping it's a phase on P&N that will pass. So far, it continues daily even though that case has been over for weeks.