Thuderbird aluminum or copper?

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

Does anyone know how to tell if a thuderbird has aluminum or copper interconnects?

I know if they are made in dresden then they use copper and if they are made in austin they use aluminum.

I heard something about telling from the color of the cap on the processor... if it's blue copper and if it's green aluminum?

If you know i'd appreciate if you could tell me the source you got your information from.

jimmygates

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
I may be wrong but I remember reading that CPU's with blusih tints to them are from Dresden which used copper interconnects while CPU's with greenish tints are from Texas (Austin?) and use Aluminium interconnects.

-Jimbo

downhiller80

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2000
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1310&p=2

<< The 1.1GHz parts will most likely be produced exclusively in AMD's Fab30 plant in Dresden and thus will feature copper interconnects. As we mentioned in our Duron review, currently, the only way to differentiate between a Thunderbird manufactured in Dresden with copper interconnects and one manufactured in Austin with aluminum interconnects is by looking at the tint of the die itself. AMD uses a different polisher at their Dresden plant than they do at their Austin plant, the result being that all CPUs that come out of Dresden have a bluish-purple tint, which is what you will see on the 1.1GHz processors. >>

So:
blue/purple = copper
green = aluminium

Many would have you believe that the difference is negligible but I'd definitely rather have a copper than aluminium. Should help in the overclocking states, albeit not by much. Should also run cooler.

Seb

oofie

Aug 30, 2000
i've bought a T-bird 900 (OEM) and it's manufactured in malaysia. How is this possible?

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
NONE of the CPUs are &quot;assembled&quot; in either Germany or the US. They are &quot;assembled&quot; in Malaysia.

No wait.... it's a fake.....

;) j/k