Through what medium other than words (spoken, written or printed) can you best convey who you are?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Just having some garbage talk with some friends.

I suppose it's a two part question as it asks, "who are you?" as much as it asks, "how would you show that to someone you just met?"

One of my friends said he'd play a song he wrote on his guitar while another said she'd make a diorama out of origami (wanting to convey the "The birds die but the owl does not care" them).

I'd probably make a photo collage or do some other thing that shows how important my experiences are to me...

Or I'd just punch a guy in the face...

Anyway, how would you do it?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, I write better than I speak, but I dont think thats what you are asking here.

I used to be a darn good worker when I was a deck ape in the Navy. I should think quality of work and concern for attention to detail would say something about me.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Well, I write better than I speak, but I dont think thats what you are asking here.

I used to be a darn good worker when I was a deck ape in the Navy. I should think quality of work and concern for attention to detail would say something about me.

Well, for this, let's say that written words count as printed words...

But that sounds like an interesting idea. I imagine maybe putting together a model ship would work for you...because of all the little details and such

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

I suppose it's a two part question as it asks, "who are you?" as much as it asks, "how would you show that to someone you just met?"

One of my friends said he'd play a song he wrote on his guitar while another said she'd make a diorama out of origami (wanting to convey the "The birds die but the owl does not care" them).

I'd probably make a photo collage or do some other thing that shows how important my experiences are to me...

lol, wtf does that mean? isn't an owl a bird too?

anyway, i write better than i speak most of the times but i'm not sure how i could best convey who i am.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex

lol, wtf does that mean? isn't an owl a bird too?

anyway, i write better than i speak most of the times but i'm not sure how i could best convey who i am.

Yeah, she's a weirdo...it's part of an old Roman allegory

I believe the birds are common folk and the owls are the senators

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
But that sounds like an interesting idea. I imagine maybe putting together a model ship would work for you...because of all the little details and such
I suspect you were never a deck seaman.
Believe me when I tell you: I shall never associate with anything ship related again.
;)

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Photography, but the looks on my face usually convey how I Feel better than my words do.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Cogito ergo sum.

So you'd just sit there and think in front of the people you're introducing yourself to :)

I don't know, so maybe I'm not :confused:.

Well, your photo collage idea also sounds good. I'll go with that.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
I suspect you were never a deck seaman.
Believe me when I tell you: I shall never associate with anything ship related again.
;)

:D

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I'm not especially proficient in other means of expression, so words would have to be it. I suppose it would take a lot of them to convey the proper level of detail. Words are mere approximations of thought, and sometimes meaning is lost in the translation. To compensate, more words are used to beat around the mental bush, and the listener must interpolate, hopefully accurately, to find the thought which is trying to make its way into the world.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I was an art student, throughout high school and for two years in college.
Pretty much any random pile of junk I could produce something creative out of it, if necessary.
My eventual concentration was in found object assemblage (e.g. garbage art)
Mediums that I have taken classes in and can use with varying degrees of skill are:
Clay Sculpture\wheel
Acrylics
Oil
Chalk