Three-person civil union sparks controversy in Brazil

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Aren't there more females than males on the planet, with a growing tendency to for the population to become increasingly female?

If so, then I expect things like this to happen more often than not...but probably after we are all dead. (Unless they start genetically engineering sexes of babies).

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Aren't there more females than males on the planet, with a growing tendency to for the population to become increasingly female?

If so, then I expect things like this to happen more often than not...but probably after we are all dead. (Unless they start genetically engineering sexes of babies).

That is where selective abortion comes into play.

In some societies, selective abortion is changing the male:female ratio.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Something I never will understand is why religious groups pitch such a fit when people get married in a way outside of their view. Marriage isn't a religious invention. The concept has existed in every culture in history, religious and not. Just because they ALSO have marriage doesn't mean they have the right to dictate how people not within their religion get married. It'd be like if Catholics start screaming about how other people drink wine and eat crackers.

In the US, the religious institution of marriage was here before the legal institution of marriage. This is obvious since the government of the US is only 236 years old. Due to that, and the US Constitution explicitly barring the government from being in the religion business (which putting the force of law behind the religious institution violates) the US is in a different position from many nations. This is why I support removing government from marriage altogether and having the US government only issuing civil unions to all.

As for Brazil, let them do what they want to do. Their country, their rules.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

Without selective abortions, wars, and general excessive violence (of which males are usually the cause and recipients of) there would still be more females than males. The X sperm are more resistant to the acidic nature of the womb and the Y sperm, so more X sperm survive and be in good condition to make it to the egg...giving them a higher chance to fertilize it. If I remember correctly, the natural ratio is 52 - 48 female-male.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Doesn't matter to me how many people they want to have in a relationship, but that isn't a marriage in my book. A marriage is between one man and one woman. Other relationships are fine by me, but I'll never see them as a marriage.

I guess your book isn't the Bible. Polygamy was allowed in the Old Testament, and in the New Testament only church leaders had to be monogamous.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I guess your book isn't the Bible. Polygamy was allowed in the Old Testament, and in the New Testament only church leaders had to be monogamous.

You are correct. In the NT, the only place it is mentioned as being prohibited is for church leaders. Judaism has different rules for leaders than for commoners, so it was not out of line for the Jewish founders of Christianity to do so as well.

Both the New and Old Testaments repeatedly warn of the dangers of marrying more than one woman...they basically says you can be easily controlled and made to do wrongful things. They basically invoke the fall of Solomon in his older years as a prime example of even the wisest man becoming foolish due to too many women.