Three cups of coffee a day could slow the loss of mental function in men, says a European study.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Text

The results appear in line with a growing body of evidence linking coffee consumption to improved cognitive function, and follow a recent report from Austria that ?showed? how caffeine boosts brain function through its effects on distinct areas of the brain.
The Austrian results, presented at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America in December, were said to be the first to demonstrate a visible impact on the brain from caffeine.

The new results, published on-line ahead of print in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition ( doi: 10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602495), now suggest that older men may also benefit mentally from regular and moderate coffee consumption.

The Finland, Italy, and the Netherlands Elderly (FINE) Study followed 676 healthy men born between 1900 and 1920 for ten years. Daily coffee consumption was estimated in cups per day, and cognitive functioning was measured using the Mini-Mental State Examination. The exam evaluates mental performance on a scale of 0 to 30, with higher scores indicating better performance.

Cognitive performance declines naturally with age, but the results of the FINE study showed that men who had regular consumption of coffee had a lower rate of decline over the ten-year period than men who did not drink coffee (declines of 1.2 versus 2.6 points for drinkers and non-drinkers, respectively).

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I can't help but wonder if we didn't already know this, at least subconsciously, explaining the heavy use of caffeinated drinks all over the world.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: DurocShark
I can't help but wonder if we didn't already know this, at least subconsciously, explaining the heavy use of caffeinated drinks all over the world.

..other constituents in coffee benefit us as well. And it may be the combination of and not the singular effect of just caffeine as the evidence suggests.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
*This studied funded by the World Coffee Growers Association

But seriously, this just shows that we have no idea what we're doing.
Fat bad for you!
No fat is good for you.
Alcohol bad for you!
No alcohol is good for yo.
Caffeine is a killer!
No caffeine is good for you

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So now we've got this, in addition to coffee's potential ability to ward off Parkinson's disease, some cancers, diabetes, Alzheimer's/dementia... I do believe I'll continue drinking 3-4 cups per day forever