Question Threadripper Cooler Enermax TR4 ¿leaking?

t_and

Sep 4, 2017
Hello,

A couple of years ago I setted up a PC for Rendering with your help:

Here the final set up: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/t_and/builds/

To my surprise, yesterday I looked at the top of the graphic card, and on top of a bit of dust it looks like there was some kind of liquid (but already dry). When going over with my finger it feels kind of "greasy"

Pictures attached

There are several places. Some are under the cooling block, but some are not (as you can see on the second picture) . What could it be?

I thought puting a piece of paper on top of the graphic card (as seen online to check leaks) to see if it keeps leaking, but is it really safe to have a paper (easily inflammable) inside the box? How could I prove it?

Thank you very much folks.

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_180709_ed.jpg
    IMG_20191105_180709_ed.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20191105_180715_ed.jpg
    IMG_20191105_180715_ed.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 30

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
What could it be?

Coolant from the LiqTech.

Its now generally accepted that Enermax have completely ____ed up the design of the LiqTech, both Mk1 and Mk2 versions.

They will leak eventually.

Whip it out and replace ASAP otherwise you'll be out the cost of replacing some expensive components.

t_and

Sep 4, 2017
Thanks a lot for your reply @Atari2600

I thought the same, but the position of some drops didn't make any sense to me, and looks like it dropped before but not anymore. Still, sure not a safe thing to keep it there if it's giving problems to many people.

Is it somehow possible to ask for a refund of the money? As you mentioned and I could also check, even the rev. edition is also giving problems :S

When I bought the system, this was the only proper AIO cooler that covered the entire TR surface. Is there something now doing the same?

Thanks a lot!

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Is it somehow possible to ask for a refund of the money? As you mentioned and I could also check, even the rev. edition is also giving problems :S

Doubtful. Your probably out of warranty period I think (?)

When I bought the system, this was the only proper AIO cooler that covered the entire TR surface. Is there something now doing the same?

Nope. Just air coolers or custom solutions. I've been asking the same question for quite a while.

t_and

Sep 4, 2017
Doubtful. Your probably out of warranty period I think (?)

Nope. Just air coolers or custom solutions. I've been asking the same question for quite a while.

I bought it on 26th October 2017, so 2 years and almost 2 weeks :S

Thats quite a shame... I dont like the look of air coolers in the case.
I've read though that the NZXT Kraken, even if they don't cover the entire surface, they are still quite OK and seems they aren't giving so many problems.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I thought puting a piece of paper on top of the graphic card (as seen online to check leaks) to see if it keeps leaking, but is it really safe to have a paper (easily inflammable) inside the box?
A quick web search gives different values for the ignition temperature of paper. It seems to be somewhere above 200 °C at least, if not above 300 °C even. Nothing inside your PC should be nearly as hot.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
A quick web search gives different values for the ignition temperature of paper. It seems to be somewhere above 200 °C at least, if not above 300 °C even. Nothing inside your PC should be nearly as hot.
FAHRENHEIT 454.... there's a reason that's the title of a book and movie... about book-burning.

Edit: It seems I'm off by three degrees.

jmmec

Jan 23, 2016
I first purchased an Enermax TR4 for my 1950X back in November 2017 and it worked great at first, but I then started getting worried about all the negative online reports even though temps were still OK, so replaced it with the Enermax TR4 II shortly after it was released.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that temps with the TR4 II were significantly higher from when it was brand new, and decided that it wasn't worth the risk anymore, so ordered a Noctua TR4 SP3 air cooler and ripped the Entermax TR4 II last weekend.

After installing the Noctua, I decided to open both Enermax coolers:

1. The original Enermax TR4 had the expected green liquid and showed signs of corrosion (commonly reported) and growth of mysterious-whatever that was plugging bits and pieces of its "cooling fins". It seemed like it wasn't far off from leaking past its seal.

2. The Enermax TR4 II had clear liquid and absolutely no sign of corrosion. However it had significantly more growth of mysterious-whatever which plugged practically 1/2 of the "cooling fins", far worse organic growth than the original Enermax TR4. So of course it was having difficulties cooling the CPU.

Glad to be rid of Enermax, and glad to have the cheaper Noctua....