Thread to list Democratic states disenfranchising white voters

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm shocked how huge the list is. I can barely keep up!
Hey, if anyone can cite any court cases where white Republicans were being disenfranchised by Democrats feel free to post that as well. We all know if that was happening to the GOP white base they would file a court case.

The only case relating to voting I can recall Republicans bringing to court was the one that got part of the Voting Rights Act struck down.

Jan 25, 2011
Just going to add this for emphasis.

DqOnaOPX0AITXBT.jpg:large

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
This doesn't fit the thread exactly... But I suspect there are many Bernie Sanders supporters out there that felt their votes were marginalized.

There's also the gerrymandering that the political party in control does, but typically it is the republicans who make it more difficult for people to vote. The right would argue that this is to prevent voter fraud. Te left would say it's targeting minorities.

It's not really a both sides issue.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This doesn't fit the thread exactly... But I suspect there are many Bernie Sanders supporters out there that felt their votes were marginalized.

There's also the gerrymandering that the political party in control does, but typically it is the republicans who make it more difficult for people to vote. The right would argue that this is to prevent voter fraud. Te left would say it's targeting minorities.

It's not really a both sides issue.

I'm terribly sorry, but anybody who believes voter fraud is a serious problem in this country has absorbed way too much propaganda. It happens rarely & is vigorously prosecuted when found. Honest concerns about it are misplaced at best

It leads to exclusionary policies about voting & registration that the GOP works to their advantage. They know their voters won't really be affected. They have stable lives & keep their paperwork together. It's other groups that end up on the short end of the stick.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Still waiting for states where those "evil" Democrats are disenfranchising white Republican voters.

Still crickets

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I am white and I no longer believe in voting but I dont feel like any state has fucking "disenfranchised" me.
Probably because unlike Republican whites, I do not believe the known universe was created just to cater to me and my selfishness.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I'm terribly sorry, but anybody who believes voter fraud is a serious problem in this country has absorbed way too much propaganda. It happens rarely & is vigorously prosecuted when found. Honest concerns about it are misplaced at best

It leads to exclusionary policies about voting & registration that the GOP works to their advantage. They know their voters won't really be affected. They have stable lives & keep their paperwork together. It's other groups that end up on the short end of the stick.

Personally I agree. I think there's more corruption dealing with voter exclusion... But I also think there should be restrictions on who can vote. If you don't pay into the system I don't feel you should have a vote.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Personally I agree. I think there's more corruption dealing with voter exclusion... But I also think there should be restrictions on who can vote. If you don't pay into the system I don't feel you should have a vote.

That would be a poll tax of sorts & therefore unacceptable.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeah, we've moved beyond owning property to vote, but I wouldn't mind requiring someone to pay taxes.

Heh. Our current billionaire president bragged on national TV that he doesn't pay federal income taxes. Because he's smart. And a real patriot, I'm sure.

Beyond that, the distribution of income has become so skewed in this country that some low income working people pay negative income taxes in the form of EITC.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, we've moved beyond owning property to vote, but I wouldn't mind requiring someone to pay taxes.

So, that effectively excludes our current POTUS and the ultra 1% investor class that essentially avoid all taxes.

OK, fine. Don't let those guys vote. I'm cool with that.

Jan 25, 2011
So you think the people who could be suffering the most under the current system should have no say in that system?

Yeah no.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Heh. Our current billionaire president bragged on national TV that he doesn't pay federal income taxes. Because he's smart. And a real patriot, I'm sure.

Beyond that, the distribution of income has become so skewed in this country that some low income working people pay negative income taxes in the form of EITC.

Yeah, it is pretty skewed at the moment, but ideally only people who support the system should get a say in it. Definitely wouldn't work well with our current tax structure.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeah, it is pretty skewed at the moment, but ideally only people who support the system should get a say in it. Definitely wouldn't work well with our current tax structure.

And it's getting worse all the time thanks to GOP governance.