Thread for Calbear and those who agree with him *Come on in*

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I do not wish this thread to turn into flames. I wanted to say that first. I am tired of people saying the South is a bastion of racism. Most of those people have never been here, nor were there for more than a few hours or days. The reason I say this, is I have a friend that works for a local business that was bought out by a company in California. They sent their management here to start managing the business. I have heard stories from more than one person there, that they cannot stand anyone black. They have been refusing to rehire past black workers or new black workers. Any workers that were already there in a position are harassed by the management and fired at the drop of a hat. Now, it wouldn't be fair for me to characterize Californians as racist would it? That is all I have to say.

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Millennium
I do not wish this thread to turn into flames. I wanted to say that first. I am tired of people saying the South is a bastion of racism. Most of those people have never been here, nor were there for more than a few hours or days. The reason I say this, is I have a friend that works for a local business that was bought out by a company in California. They sent their management here to start managing the business. I have heard stories from more than one person there, that they cannot stand anyone black. They have been refusing to rehire past black workers or new black workers. Any workers that were already there is a position are harassed by the management and fired at the drop of a hat. Now, it wouldn't be fair for me to characterize Californians as racist would it? That is all I have to say.

Ditto for that.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Oh man...I agree with Millennium again! :Q:Q

:p

Seriously though, I agree 100%. Generalizations are rarely accurate, and to say the whole south has rampant racism would not be accurate at all. There is racism everywhere you go, not just in one area of the country....unfortunately. :frown:

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
As someone who has lived my adult life in many different places in this country (San Diego, Bangor,WA, New London, CT, St Mary's,GA, Norfolk, Memphis,) I can assure you that racists come in all sizes and colors and are well disbursed throughout this country. I don't normally stereotype people (I try not to) but if I were to say where I met the most of what many of you would call "rednecks" or the most of what I would call "racists" the answers would probably surprise many of you and neither answer would be the South.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
The older I get the more tired I get of hearing this stereotype spouted. I reacted to the same guy you did in the other thread Millennium and agree 100%.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The question is not the people, per se, but the institutions that were built in that region and developed over time. The people, as you claim, may not be racists, but they value their racist pasts (as some of them call it "tradition"). In the Northeast, it has been generally accepted to be tolerant and the institutions built over there advocate tolerance (perhaps because of the mixture of different races). Remember, people make the institutions that influence the people. It is how older generations influence younger ones.

With all that said, I think the most racist place in the States is probably the northwest. Too many WASPs, too much land separating the peoples, and less governmental influence. With people there skeptical of even the smallest governmental influence and racial mixing rare, it may be a breeding ground for xenophobia.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
It's ironic the regional biases you comment on are the product of the generalizing and stereotyping that create racism.

I've been to many regions of the USA, the northeast, midatlantic, new england, midwest, south, far west. Racism is prevelant in every region. In some regions it is spoken outright while in others racism is more insidious. Spoken only among segregated groups, never in public.

I don't know which is worse. On the one hand I'd rather know where a person stands even if they are completely wrong (IMO no form of racism can be defended) than have them be a racist and conceal it. Smile in someone's face and spit racial epithets the moment their back is turned.

I spent in about two months in the south. The people I met spoke openly about race, even when expressing racist views. I don't want to generalize but for the most part southerners are honest people who will tell you what's on their mind, including racial issues. Not so for most other regions of the US. This may contribute to the perception people have of the south. And the perception that other regions are more tolerant (tolerant isn't my choice of word - I don't believe we can live in harmony merely tolerating each other). IMO there isn't that much difference just more open racism in the south and more hidden racism in other regions.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
I do not wish this thread to turn into flames. I wanted to say that first. I am tired of people saying the South is a bastion of racism. Most of those people have never been here, nor were there for more than a few hours or days. The reason I say this, is I have a friend that works for a local business that was bought out by a company in California. They sent their management here to start managing the business. I have heard stories from more than one person there, that they cannot stand anyone black. They have been refusing to rehire past black workers or new black workers. Any workers that were already there in a position are harassed by the management and fired at the drop of a hat. Now, it wouldn't be fair for me to characterize Californians as racist would it? That is all I have to say.

Ahh... I remember the days when you joined in all the Berkeley bashing and Bay Area generalizing.

Sucks when your area gets generalized don't it? :)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

You redneck racist bastid ;)

Ahh... I remember the days when you joined in all the Berkeley bashing and Bay Area generalizing.

Sucks when your area gets generalized don't it?

Both Millenium and I advocate non-racist behavior as well as encourage desegregation. Most of the bay area types that I have dealt with have fit the mold of being worthy of being called a Berkeley Wacko. There are a few exceptions to this. Just like there are a few exceptions to the south not being racist. The media only cares about ratings and thus will put the most backward moronic hick that would make Joe Dirt look like a yankee on TV to represent the South.

Percentage wise you will find far more racists in the southwest and the Great Plain States. I cannot recall the last time I drove through a Watts or Compton outside of California and I cannot recall the last time I witnessed a KKK rally in the South. I can recall reading about all the militia and neo nazi groups out west though....

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well here in Nebraska we have a multitude of racial problems all caused by white men that think that the white race is so superior to any others that God has told them to disgorge the earth of all that are not like us.
Mexicans and Native Americans have always been at the top of the list here but with the large influx of Asian workers in the meat packing industry they have a new mandate. Most people think that racism has only to do with Black's but that is not the case here except in Omaha where racism has almost become a industry in itself. Believe me when I tell you that the Klu Klux is alive and well here in the heartlands.

Bleep

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Both Millenium and I advocate non-racist behavior as well as encourage desegregation. Most of the bay area types that I have dealt with have fit the mold of being worthy of being called a Berkeley Wacko. There are a few exceptions to this. Just like there are a few exceptions to the south not being racist. The media only cares about ratings and thus will put the most backward moronic hick that would make Joe Dirt look like a yankee on TV to represent the South.

Percentage wise you will find far more racists in the southwest and the Great Plain States. I cannot recall the last time I drove through a Watts or Compton outside of California and I cannot recall the last time I witnessed a KKK rally in the South. I can recall reading about all the militia and neo nazi groups out west though....

The irony between the first and second paragraphs is amazing. Impeccable placement in this thread about generalizations too. Bravo!

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: calbear2000

No, I believe I said the Bay Area and Berkeley are not the end all for education and culture. Please don't derail this thread, even though that is what you are trying to do. If you want to hash out the whole Berkeley thing, you may e-mail or PM me.

Evan

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001

No, I believe I said the Bay Area and Berkeley are not the end all for education and culture. Please don't derail this thread, even though that is what you are trying to do. If you want to hash out the whole Berkeley thing, you may e-mail or PM me.

Evan

Not trying to derail the thread evan... just pointing out that you've been guilty of this same derogatory generalization in the past. (you can do your own search for "berkeley" and "millenium" in the archives. I'd rather not point it out here)

I too, do not wish to hear the ignorant rhetoric just like you when idiots ridicule the South.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Most racist places that I have personally observed:
Arizona in the mid 60's
Florida in the 80's
Missouri & Illinois in the 90's
Texas in the 00's (so far)

Spent all the 70's in California, there were a few small pockets, but obviously I didn't hang with 'em.
(Chicano Gangs - mostly)

Least racist places I have personally observed:
Florida in the 80's (work environment, many good friends that I trusted)
Missouri in the 90's - St. Louis area is 55% Black. Mostly courteous, polite, accomodating.

People I find to be the most racist and untrustworthy:
White Polititians, especially Bible Belt and Southern Republicans.
Lott, DeLay, Helms, Your Name Here.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Evan

Not trying to derail the thread evan... just pointing out that you've been guilty of this same derogatory generalization in the past. (you can do your own search for "berkeley" and "millenium" in the archives. I'd rather not point it out here)

I too, do not wish to hear the ignorant rhetoric just like you when idiots ridicule the South.

I never ridiculed Berkeley. I said I disagreed with actions that certain students at the school took. My comments simply said the CU system is not the end all for education. I didn't make any generalizations, nor were most of my comments serious. In one particular thread I made a light-hearted st@b as a joke and it was taken the wrong way. Some people got it and some people didn't. Yes, you are attempting to derail the thread...but...

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
I never ridiculed Berkeley. I said I disagreed with actions that certain students at the school took. My comments simply said the CU system is not the end all for education. I didn't make any generalizations, nor were most of my comments serious. In one particular thread I made a light-hearted st@b as a joke and it was taken the wrong way. Some people got it and some people didn't. Yes, you are attempting to derail the thread...but...

And you are too
rolleye.gif

Look, all anyone has to do is search the archive messages for "berkeley" and "millennium"

2 out of the 3 hits that come up make your derogatory generalizations crystal clear. I'm not going to continue your flamewar fetish by listing out all the ignorant things you said that are EXACTLY what you're preaching against in this thread. (I have better things to do than to pick a fight with someone so much younger than I)

You can continue to "derail" the thread all you want by defending yourself... anyone who reads these archived threads can have the laugh privately.

Have fun defending yourself to people who won't care:

No generalizing here
You don't have an inferiority complex or anything

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

And you are too
rolleye.gif

Look, all anyone has to do is search the archive messages for "berkeley" and "millennium"

2 out of the 3 hits that come up make your derogatory generalizations crystal clear. I'm not going to continue your flamewar fetish by listing out all the ignorant things you said that are EXACTLY what you're preaching against in this thread. (I have better things to do than to pick a fight with someone so much younger than I)

You can continue to "derail" the thread all you want by defending yourself... anyone who reads these archived threads can have the laugh privately.

Have fun defending yourself to people who won't care:

No generalizing here
You don't have an inferiority complex or anything

Thanks, but I have sufficiently defended myself. I am not going to let this thread turn into a flame war, so please stop posting in it unless you want to discuss the subject at hand. Feel free to start another topic about my supposed hatred of Berkeley in OT or this forum and I will respond to it. I am going to ask the mods to lock this and I am going to restart it.

Evan

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You call me a hypocrite.

Yeah I just now saw those threads you posted, and have read over others.. I have nothing to apologize about. Are you purposely obtuse? One thread was in response to someone saying Berkeley was the typical political view of people, and the second thread in which I said nuke Berkeley and talked about unwashed hippies was stereotyping to GET MY POINT ACROSS to NOT stereotype. Are you that obtuse?

I edited this thread so that you can have a personal thread to battle about with me. That is what you wanted no? Here is your chance. Lay it all on the line. BTW, I still want to see those numerous e-mails and PMs you got from people saying I had an inferiority complex. If I was the one who felt inferior then why am I willing to face any critics? Why can't they post in this thread?