Thousands March in Iraq to Demand Early Elections

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
link

A senior Basra cleric, Ali al-Hakim al-Safi, told the crowd at the mosque that Shi'ites would seek their goals by peaceful means -- for now.

Is this some kind of backhanded threat?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No, it is an overt threat.

We are about to start realizing as the British did after WW I what it means to have Iraq as part of our de facto empire. God help our soldiers.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

We are about to start realizing as the British did after WW I what it means to have Iraq as part of our de facto empire. God help our soldiers.

The Shia can be crushed if neccessary. Saddam did it, and he was far weaker than we are.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

The Shia can be crushed if neccessary. Saddam did it, and he was far weaker than we are.

We don't have the will to put 100,000 into mass graves to scare them into submission. Mackeavelian poltics only work for nations and leaders that have the will to do evil things to control people.

The cleric is upset because he realizes that the steps the americans are taking will ensure that the Shia must share power with the Kurds and Sunni's. He want's direct elections now so that he can hand pick all the leaders and take defacto control of the country. If he gets out of hand I guess they could always put him in Gitmo.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

We certainly are able to become Saddam if needed. Rome ruled with an iron fist, and it can work for us too.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: rahvin

We don't have the will to put 100,000 into mass graves to scare them into submission. Mackeavelian poltics only work for nations and leaders that have the will to do evil things to control people.

The cleric is upset because he realizes that the steps the americans are taking will ensure that the Shia must share power with the Kurds and Sunni's. He want's direct elections now so that he can hand pick all the leaders and take defacto control of the country. If he gets out of hand I guess they could always put him in Gitmo.

And what happens when we throw him in jail because he wants "one person, one vote"?

We will then need to crush them.

Few there really wanted Saddam. Try to arrest their religious leaders for voicing enfranchisement. You will not get the same reaction.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

You may question Americas will...I certainly don't. With President Bush and his advisors in charge we will do WHATEVER is neccessary. It is not evil if it is neccessary.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

You may question Americas will...I certainly don't. With President Bush and his advisors in charge we will do WHATEVER is neccessary. It is not evil if it is neccessary.

It was necessary for Saddam to be cruel as he was to suit his needs. It was not evil if it was necessary. A dangerous road to take, is it not?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

It was necessary for Saddam to be cruel as he was to suit his needs. It was not evil if it was necessary. A dangerous road to take, is it not?

It is a dangerous game the President has put us in.