Thoughts on Xperia Z2 Tablet?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
It looks pretty impressive by my account, but I'm a relative rookie when it comes to tablets. Have owned only one and it was near the first generation of tablets that just don't compare to the current gens.

1920x1200, 10.1" IPS with all the added Sony jazz
Snapdragon 801
3 GB ram
Amazingly great form factor (my opinion, others may differ and if so please let me know!)

Thinking now about this vs. a Tab Pro 8.4, which many of you are huge fans of. It's not hard to see why either.

I do understand that there is a Tab Pro 10.1 as well, which would be the more direct competitor to the Xperia Z2, but my preference would be for a smaller 8" tablet over a 10 - which is to say if Sony produced a Z2 @ 8" it'd be a dream machine and I wouldn't even question it. I think for the Sony Z2 I'm willing to overlook the extra screen size as a factor, but I do understand the rest of the screen specs also differ quite a bit. I'm not overly concerned with the cost difference. I recognize it the 8.4 and z2 are not priced similarly.

I've heard bad things about Touchwiz, but haven't heard much of anything about Sony's Timescape. Certainly it looks far less oppressive than Touchwiz. Anyone with first hand experience? I come from a Nexus 5, and before that a Galaxy Nexus, so I'm quite used to stock android, but see great potential and use from reasonable, not-oppressive added/tweaked elements to android on a tablet far more so than on a phone.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
there's also a LG G Pad 8.3 GPE for $350, stock Android

for a larger device like a tablet, people like multi-window features because it's useful... samsung has a pretty decent implementation of this, sony has a less fine-tuned version.

go find a Samsung demo unit nearby. typically Verizon corporate retail stores have a few Samsung tablets on demo, go play around with Touchwiz.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Going to see if I can find a Z2 tablet in the wild tonight. I really don't think I'll find one - they're still not listed on big-box or small store websites but they've been released for a week. I don't expect to find one but I still have time to burn tonight regardless.

Unfortunately, Canada doesn't get the Google Play Edition devices. Likewise, Verizon doesn't exist in Canada, but I still take your meaning. I'll be trying out the tab pro tonight as well.